Rear aspect Sidewinders

Silvern

Did F-14 operate with rear-aspect AIM-9's like Golf and Hotel?

If so, will DCS F-14 have them?

Yes, early on the Tomcat used the Aim-9G/H which was the last of the rear aspect only Sidewinders. However the Tomcat variant we are getting only carried the all aspect heaters.

Yes, early on the Tomcat used the Aim-9G/H which was the last of the rear aspect only Sidewinders. However the Tomcat variant we are getting only carried the all aspect heaters.

Our F-14A can't carry AIM-9G or H?

It is what it is!

Thanks for your answer.

PS: What about DCS: Iranian Tomcats? Will they be able to do it? :)

The Iranian Tomcat should be limited to all Rear aspect missiles.

As i very much doubt any Aim-9L's had been delivered to Iran before the revolution (as that was around the same Time when the Aim-9L started to enter service in the US forces).

And also im not sure if its true that the F-14A we are getting cant use the Rear aspect heaters.

Sure it would have all aspect missiles by this point but i dont think that means they removed its capacity to carry the older missiles (Which would still be in inventory in large numbers for years to come so they migh as well be used up).

Since for example the F-15C we have in DCS can still carry the older rear aspect Aim-9s despite the F-15C entering service after the Aim-9L all aspect missile was already available.

So while in the 80s and 90s the All aspect Aim-9 would for sure be their standard IR missile its still very likely there were some rear aspect missiles in use atleast for the 1980s.

Edited by mattebubben

i think this could happen if you turned the sound volume down for the AIM-9´s :-D

Or if you had the Sparrow selected instead......just like a certain RL engagement :doh:

(1:39) – Lead pilot says, “I’ve got the other one” as they merge and start a hard turn to get behind the second Flogger. His RIO directs him to “select Fox-2,” meaning he needs to switch the weapons firing control from the radar-guided Sparrow missile to the heat-seeking Sidewinder missile.

(1:48) – Lead RIO says, “shoot ‘em!” over the intercom, and the pilot responds with “I don’t got a tone,” which refers to the aural cue that a Sidewinder missile gives the pilot when the seeker senses a heat source. But at this point the pilot doesn’t have a tone because he still has “Sparrow” selected (not “Sidewinder”) on his control stick.

(2:01) – Lead pilot requests that his RIO “lock him up” with the radar – an unnecessary step in Sidewinder firing logic, and the RIO responds with “I can’t. Shoot him, Fox-2!” The pilot, in turn, says, “I can’t. I don’t have a ****ing tone.”

(2:04) – RIO starts to command pilot to select the right missile once again, but now the pilot has figured it out. (Fortunately for the American crew the Libyan pilot wasn’t skilled enough to use the American pilot’s “switchology” mistake to his advantage.) The pilot selects “Sidewinder” and the aural tone blares in his headset, indicating the missile is ready to be launched.

(2:06) – Lead pilot transmits “Fox-2” as he fires a Sidewinder missile from about two miles behind the MiG.

(2:09) – Lead pilot transmits “Good kill! Good kill!” as the heads up display shows the second MiG exploding.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]