Tanker Frequency assignment and speed

HI All,

I am trying to build a simple refueling mission for the sake of practice. I cannot figure out how to assign a comm frequency for the tanker.

Also, when I assign a speed for the tanker I notice that the GS box is ticked. I am trying to figure out how to match my IAS with that of the tanker. If I assign 350 kts for example, the IAS of the Tanker (F2 view) is significantly slower.

Thanks

It is always best to not fly too fast or fly too slow. So I fly half fast. :D

Hi, for the freq, look at the lane above the callsing (texaco, arco or shell), on the left of the comm checkbox, there is a box with the freq to change.

The gs mean ground speed, so the ias won't match that value. For exemple, in order to acheive 300kt ias at 25000ft altitude, you need to set 450kt in the editor. But that same 450kts will only give you 275kts ias at 30000ft.

Hope that help.

Thanks for the feedback. I know that gs means ground speed. So, without wind aloft, the TAS should equal ground speed. DCS complicates things by using gs in the design of the mission and then uses IAS for the tanker in the F2 view. Airspeed shown in the HUD is IAS correct? Since I am designing a refuel mission at 10,000 feet at 350 kts, the difference between TAS and IAS is unrealistic. So, in the final analysis, it is hit or miss on the gs selection until the tanker is flying fast enough for good control response in the aircraft needing the fuel.

I am flying a GIV trip in a few days and I will note IAS v TAS at 10000, 20000, and 30000 feet.

I will bet that I am missing something really simple in mission design.

Best to you.

Depends on what aircraft you're flying. Some of the full fidelity modules allow you to change what the HUD displays. By default everything will show IAS.

Here's a couple of quick refueling maps. Tanker is on 251.000MHz UHF, TACAN 01X

Viper's F-15 AAR Air Start.miz

A-10C AAR Air Start Close.miz

A-10C AAR Air Start Far.miz

Viper's AAR Practice, GND starts.miz

Edited by feefifofum

Hi Mr. Fum, aka Viper. Very nice to hear from you. Thanks for the missions. On my flight in the GIV the other day, I found that the diff between TAS and IAS as shown in DCS is not so far out of the ordinary after all. I that all is well with you.