Back to my 1.5 comfort zone and why we o/c?

GazAce

Hey good Pilots!

Just installed 1.5.7 on my new build with some concern about what it was going to be like with all the reports of bugs and faults but still having two training missions I purchased I really needed to get back, and boy oh boy I'm so glad I did, it's absolutely beautiful! I'm just astounded atm and even better it looks like the ED Devs fixed Georgian Hammer with CA so I'm totally dancin! I flew 2.0 for a week or so and now comparing the two I'm finding I'm getting a fractionally smoother framerate in 1.5, maybe because I'm still tweaking. It's actually not easy to find the perfect setting at first but I'm nearly there and 1.5 I can nearly max everything out but no way in 2.0 even with my specs. I wish to ask a question, I saw a post not long ago where someone said that DCS has a framerate by default set to 180 and so your GPU could spike, so would be advised to set it to around 80, well I set mine to 100 and I couldn't really notice the difference in 2.0 and I can set my GPU to various settings with it's software incl overclocking but this overclocking in GPU Tweak software is not the same as CPU overclocking is it? I was told my CPU could be overclocked to 4.8 Ghz. Anyway I'm not even sure about why we need to overclock, wouldn't that induce more heat and shorter life span of components?

Cheers G book.gif

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I have the same CPU and MB as you. Mine came set at 4.5Ghz and runs smooth and cool with just a normal air cooler. It runs hot in tests like prime, but cool in DCS. I tried the turbo setting of 4.7 and didn't see much difference in DCS, so I went back to 4.5.

Not sure what you mean that DCS is set at 180fps? Do you mean it's set at that for a limit? Can't be as I get over 200fps at times.

I'm also confused by you saying 1.5.7 looks great now? It hasn't had it's graphic update yet. I believe that happens when we go to 2.5.

btw This is in the wrong forum. It has nothing to do with the A-10C. ;)

Buzz

I have the same CPU and MB as you. Mine came set at 4.5Ghz and runs smooth and cool with just a normal air cooler. It runs hot in tests like prime, but cool in DCS. I tried the turbo setting of 4.7 and didn't see much difference in DCS, so I went back to 4.5.

Not sure what you mean that DCS is set at 180fps? Do you mean it's set at that for a limit? Can't be as I get over 200fps at times.

I'm also confused by you saying 1.5.7 looks great now? It hasn't had it's graphic update yet. I believe that happens when we go to 2.5.

btw This is in the wrong forum. It has nothing to do with the A-10C. ;)

Hey Buzz, yea sorry I shouldda popped this post in the PC hardware and related software. And I meant about looking great now as compared to what I've been used to for nearly the last year (home theatre and laptop) now no comparison with my new build. And the fps, yes I read some ones post the other day saying DCS is set to 180 fps, I'll try and dig it up and show you, I'm not sure what that person meant. I don't think I have had any higher fps than 100 or so, maybe there's something I need to do re: gpu software or something. Anyway I just flew the 3rd mission in the Red Flag Camp and it's quite amazing the difference good specs makes. How do you achieve 200fps?

Ok, third last post in this thread... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192451

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Ah ok.

You have higher res on monitor and the mission is more of a load. I was just flying an easy mission. You have more GPU and I have a bit more CPU. Still, you should get more fps than that. Maybe the monitor is more draw than I realize. I'm just on a 1920x1080 res.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Ah ok.

You have higher res on monitor and the mission is more of a load. I was just flying an easy mission. You have more GPU and I have a bit more CPU. Still, you should get more fps than that. Maybe the monitor is more draw than I realize. I'm just on a 1920x1080 res.

Ahh ok cool, thank you, I run in 3440x1440 and really can't set to any other res with this wide screen, 100fps seems nice n smooth but I'm not sure why the counter never gets over 100 even when I set gpu s/w to o/c mode. Anyway, I'll stop now as your right this is wrong forum.

Cheers mate thumbup.gif

Edited by GazAce