Full Review of the Argo Campaign and Interview of the Developer

Simicro

Disclaimer: I did my best to avoid spoilers. However, be advised that depending on your own definition of "spoiler", you might find some.

Many thanks to:

• Gregory "gregzagk", for the interview
  • Ray "rge75", contributing reviewer
  • Steve "cichlidfan", copy-proof reader
  • Simon "Cibit", copy-proof reader

Click on the yellow button below to read the full review.

attachment.php?attachmentid=248127&stc=1&d=1600886156

argo_review.thumb.jpg.b98b61c4a1e162c0b7cd75b74a4064a3.jpg

Edited by Simicro

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Great job, thanks for posting.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Very informative review ... I specially liked the developer's interview.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks to everybody for your kind words! Much appreciated! :)

I am honored to see 3 campaign developers in this thread ;)

Initially I hesitated to write the review because there were already an extensive Preview and a full Review of Argo out there. But finally Greg was enthusiastic about the idea and rge75 pointed out that in other simulators / games there are often several reviews for one product, which is a bit lacking for DCS. So I did it.

Two questions I forgot to ask Greg (but there were already many questions in the interview) are:

The campaign was released in april 2017.

When did you have the initial idea?

And how many days of work did this product require (approximately and if you count only your workload)?

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Two questions I forgot to ask Greg (but there were already many questions in the interview) are:

The campaign was released in april 2017.

When did you have the initial idea?

And how many days of work did this product require (approximately and if you count only your workload)?

The initial idea of creating a DLC campaign came up during September 2016.

As I had mostly experience in creating multiplayer missions and events, I had to think of the framework that I would need to follow and create all necessary for a single player DLC campaign (voice overs, briefings etc). The decision of creating a Huey Campaign came later, on October 2016 after discussions with Petritis who as said in the interview was close during the whole creation of the campaign.

The whole campaign got ready on February 2017 by working on it almost every day.

After that it went through an extensive testing by my squadmates and later on by the ED Campaign testing team. During the testing there were some major and many minor corrections and fixes so I could say that the whole project completed in about 6 months.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Greg

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

This shows how much time it takes to release it with no or almost no bugs. A good testing for sure is important, especially because people have different play styles.

I'm sure most people who played this campaign are looking forward for your next project.

6 months...well, we should get the next DLC campaign soon in that case ;-)

Edit: BTW, another interesting question (not just about this campaign) would be if they sell well. When you check in this forum, it seems like we're only a small group. But I suppose there are many more players who simply don't participate in this forum.

Edited by rge75

Thank you for answering Greg!

Crystal clear. Six months of development for a knowledgeable developer, with a good team... and hard work :thumbup: ... is a really good news for us, the users :)

I have no other question.

I wish you best of luck for your future project. If it's for the Huey or Mi-8, I'll buy as soon as it is released!

- Tony -

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently in the campaign and I'm speechless. You guys really should've made it longer. I love it!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 months later...

The review has moved to a new URL:

https://www.desktopsimulators.com/dcs/argo/review.html

Updated in my original post.

- Tony -

• 2 years later...

Hi Greg,

I've made a 2 years pause and I'm now back on DCS.

I don't have webhosting anymore.

So here is a temporary link for the Argo review : https://we.tl/t-PycINbuwRZ

For souvenir or whatever purpose.

The zip contains:

- html file

- images files

- stylesheet file

- Tony -

Hi Greg,

I've made a 2 years pause and I'm now back on DCS.

I don't have webhosting anymore.

So here is a temporary link for the Argo review : https://we.tl/t-PycINbuwRZ

For souvenir or whatever purpose.

The zip contains:

- html file

- images files

- stylesheet file

Thanks a ton Simicro! :thumbup:

That's great. Nice you are back on DCS.

Best,

Greg

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

Nice to see you again :)

If something is wrong with the files, just let me know.

I edited my initial post and included the review under the form of an image.

- Tony -

• 4 months later...

This was a good review. I am in mission 10 now and I can recommend this campaign. What comes about fly times I use time acceleration (Ctrl+Z accelerate and Shift+Z reset time), this feature is very handy. Specially if you must to fly mission again. 

Biggest issue of campaign is that some ADFs are broken currently. I had to look kneeboard and I used mark my position feature. Is that cheating? It feels like cheating but it is good option.  I had dot labels in use, these helps a lot specially in night missions (I use VR).

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals