Anyone getting 90 fps?

BeastyBaiter

Title says it all. Is anyone consistently getting 90 fps in both DCS 1.5 and 2.x in VR? If so, what is your system and what settings do you use? Is it only at high altitude or also on the ground and at low level?

Related, if you don't manage 90 fps, do you get close?

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

With ASW enabled you get 90fps or 45fps. Depending on what you're looking at will determine how much of 90 or 45 you'll get.

Many gets just 22 or even below, everything set to minimum and far exceeding the requirements for VR.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Many gets just 22 or even below, everything set to minimum and far exceeding the requirements for VR.

In Normandy this is true. But with NTTR/Caucuses, using Instant missions, it's 45 and 90 depending on where you are.

You have to frame it with the instant missions since FPS is so depending on the number of ground units, SAMs, aircrafts etc.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In Normandy this is true. I get mid to high 30's. But with NTTR/Caucuses, using Instant missions, it's 45 and 90 depending on where you are.

You have to frame it with the instant missions since FPS is so dependent on the number of ground units, SAMs, aircrafts etc.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The sad part of DCS is that it ain't really VR capable game. When a game requires a i7-7700k, 1080Ti and 32GB RAM to get a acceptable 45 framerate in a empty map for some times, it ain't VR ready and no optimization is going to fix that.

To be a VR ready the game should get 45FPS limit always with specs like AMD FX-6120 with GTX 970/1060 and often good situation get 90fps.

Maybe in a 10 years DCS is VR ready.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

It certainly could be better. But saying it is not VR capable game is going to far. Granted, it takes a beefy machine, but that's the price of being an early adopter. It's no different than people OC'ing to fly in 4K with xxx refresh rates. One thing about VR. You'll enjoy the flight aspect of DCS. Something you cannot do with 4K monitors and TIR. It's been covered to death so I won't hash it again here.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Ok, let's reframe the question. Flying tree top level in any aircraft, do you get 90 fps flying north along the beach from batumi and do you get 90 fps doing the same through the Las Vegas strip? If so, what detail settings are you using. I get about 30 fps and 45 fps respectively with medium object distance, 10km trees, 0 clutter and no other detail settings having any effect.

Bottleneck is CPU at about 12% usage.

Specs: R5 1600x at 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080TI and 16 GB DDR4 @ 2800MHz.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

for desktop PC so far my experiment to get max smooth FPS :

choose medium general setting or Low Setting preset as a starter base

traffic to low

visibility medium

level up both textures and ground textures to high

anisotropic and AA at 0

uncheck vsync

and use Nvidia DSR x2 with 30% smooth in Nvidia general 3D config.

use same resolution both on windows desktop and in DCS

I can get a good nice result with 140-70 fps in high level flight and about 55-60 over forest and town that way.

also every other deskop apps seems a bit ugly ... ;-) but what i want is DCS perf first.

don't know if it could go that way with DSR for a VR setup. also AA and anisotropic are very demanding no matter nvidia settings full screen or not.

But waiting for Code optimisation on 2, this is the turnaround that works good for me so far.

PC spec in my sign.

experiment first with settings like that, and if your system can handle it. level up a bit. you can allow AA 2x if top of mountain are too much ugly. but don't expect to have better FPS once you switch AA on

edit : also DCS is set on high priority (not realtime ) with process lasso.

25% average but >80% on first thread

Edited by snowsniper

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Ok, let's reframe the question. Flying tree top level in any aircraft, do you get 90 fps flying north along the beach from batumi and do you get 90 fps doing the same through the Las Vegas strip?

Flying with what module (each gets different FPS) and on what altitude? Likely the default standard weather?

If so, what detail settings are you using. I get about 30 fps and 45 fps respectively with medium object distance, 10km trees, 0 clutter and no other detail settings having any effect.

12% consumption with CPU means it ain't a bottleneck.

for desktop PC so far my experiment to get max smooth FPS :

choose medium general setting or Low Setting preset as a starter base

traffic to low

visibility medium

level up both textures and ground textures to high

anisotropic and AA at 0

uncheck vsync

and use Nvidia DSR x2 with 30% smooth in Nvidia general 3D config.

use same resolution both on windows desktop and in DCS

I can get a good nice result with 140-70 fps in high level flight and about 55-60 over forest and town that way.

also every other deskop apps seems a bit ugly ... ;-) but what i want is DCS perf first.

don't know if it could go that way with DSR for a VR setup. also AA and anisotropic are very demanding no matter nvidia settings full screen or not.

But waiting for Code optimisation on 2, this is the turnaround that works good for me so far.

PC spec in my sign.

experiment first with settings like that, and if your system can handle it. level up a bit. you can allow AA 2x if top of mountain are too much ugly. but don't expect to have better FPS once you switch AA on

edit : also DCS is set on high priority (not realtime ) with process lasso.

25% average but >80% on first thread

We're talking about VR performance, not monitor.

Flying with what module (each gets different FPS) and on what altitude? Likely the default standard weather?

12% consumption with CPU means it ain't a bottleneck.

You're right of course, it's a programming bottleneck. DCS uses 1.5 CPU threads, which on my 6 core 12 thread CPU is equal to 12% overall usage but 100% usage on a single thread.

The rest of it doesn't matter. I'm asking if anyone is getting 90 fps at any settings in any aircraft at those two locations at tree top level. If not, what do you get. And finally, system specs and game settings in either case.

Ok, let's reframe the question. Flying tree top level in any aircraft, do you get 90 fps flying north along the beach from batumi and do you get 90 fps doing the same through the Las Vegas strip? If so, what detail settings are you using. I get about 30 fps and 45 fps respectively with medium object distance, 10km trees, 0 clutter and no other detail settings having any effect.

I find VR performance depends more what you're looking at rather than where you are flying. As to your example flying at tree top level looking at the trees I'll get 45/90fps, however looking up at the sky or out over the water for a bandit I'll get 90fps.

I wonder about other VR applications, do they all require a top end system or are some more system friendly?

[…]I wonder about other VR applications, do they all require a top end system or are some more system friendly?

No they don't (considering my own experience on a popular space flight sim). DCS as stated by several members, is not VR friendly and requires a top of the line machine to have an average experience. The title could use a little help from the devs to perform better.

However, if my memory is not failing me, Wags mentionned in an interview that multi-threading will be a thing. When ? We don't know unfortunately. Taking advantage of newer technologies should definitely help us enjoying VR within DCS World.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

The sad part of DCS is that it ain't really VR capable game. When a game requires a i7-7700k, 1080Ti and 32GB RAM to get a acceptable 45 framerate in a empty map for some times, it ain't VR ready and no optimization is going to fix that.

To be a VR ready the game should get 45FPS limit always with specs like AMD FX-6120 with GTX 970/1060 and often good situation get 90fps.

Maybe in a 10 years DCS is VR ready.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

I kind of agree. I keep reading about VR users having to turn off cockpit shadows and so forth. I wonder how long it will take for DCS to be truly optimized for VR. Hope it is a high priority. Perhaps we might see foveated rendering first, making a big difference in performance.

Seeing the current specs needed and the not so good performance, I'd rather wait. Dumb perhaps, because in a couple of years, without optimization on EDs part, we might be in a similar situation like today: oculus or vive version 2.0, higher res but still low settings to get acceptable FPS.

This is THE best game for VR though, its crazy fun in it, completely worth the expense for the top end machine to run it (along with the extra time tweaking it), everyone that plays in VR along with me on my server feels the same as I do, once you play DCS in VR its hard to play it outside of VR, it makes that much difference

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

In Normandy this is true. But with NTTR/Caucuses, using Instant missions, it's 45 and 90 depending on where you are.

You have to frame it with the instant missions since FPS is so depending on the number of ground units, SAMs, aircrafts etc.

Interesting to hear this and a bit disappointing. I get similar performance, struggles in Normandy especially in a Spitfire. I have a gtx970 and was hoping changing my graphics card to a better one may improve my frames, but looking at people's specs this in not guaranteed.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Oh I agree, there is no going back to a monitor after trying any flight sim in VR. But DCS's (and BoS's) single threaded limitation means that performance tends to be a bit lack luster. What I'm trying to do with this thread is see if there is anyone who is able to fly at 90 fps all the time regardless of location or aircraft. It can be in an empty mission and minimum detail. I just want to know if there is a single setup on the planet that is capable of this. And so I listed the 2 lowest performance places in DCS that I know of and used tree top altitude so that we're getting the worst case scenario in an empty mission.

Overall VR performance (and monitor performance for that matter) leaves a lot to be desired in DCS. Everyone knows this, Wags admitting as much in a recent interview and saying they are working on it. This is due to the way CPU usage is handled. There are VR games that run great of course. You can max out Robo Recall, a damned good looking game, with an RX 480 and I5-4690 (non k) and still get 90 fps locked. Admittedly that's a very different kind of game, but it shows what can be done when utilizing modern computer hardware effectively.

Interesting to hear this and a bit disappointing. I get similar performance, struggles in Normandy especially in a Spitfire. I have a gtx970 and was hoping changing my graphics card to a better one may improve my frames, but looking at people's specs this in not guaranteed.

For Normandy? No, HW specs won't matter. I'm sure they are still optimizing it, but Instant CAS Mission with A10 stutters quite a bit. Playable, but not enjoyable like NTTR or Caucuses.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

This is THE best game for VR though, its crazy fun in it, completely worth the expense for the top end machine to run it (along with the extra time tweaking it), everyone that plays in VR along with me on my server feels the same as I do, once you play DCS in VR its hard to play it outside of VR, it makes that much difference

I don't think it's blatant highjacking to strongly agree here and I'll tell you why. I bought the Rift to have a variety of VR experiences and then I gave DCS a go. I don't use my headset for anything else now. I have played a bunch of VR games and nothing comes close to this simulator for demonstrating how compelling this technology is. It would IMHO, greatly behoove the marketing department of ED to grab this idea and run as hard and fast as they can with it. As Drexx pointed out this is THE killer VR app "they've" been talking about and I sincerely hope ED understands that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi BeastyBaiter,

here is a short video in VR A10c CAS over Las Vegas'Strip - settings shown in video - in 90fps target ASW off (to see the fps system can render instead of dropping to 45 if below 90) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXq5JWblIis

Afterburner fps graph : Monitor1

Here an other video (same exact thing) but with deffered shadings/cockpit lightnings ON and ASW on and forced to 45 (most fps impact are Deff.shadd. and pixel density) so 90 fps in Rift but synthetic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0PslHIDYs

Afterburner fps graph : Monitor2

In the same conditions as video "test1" I can manage to have quasi constant 90 fps (see Monitor4) with lower settings (see Settings4)

To finish a last Afterburner fps graph of a longer A10c CAS mission away from Las Vegas'Strip (fully loaded A10 vs 15 moving armored vehicules, 1 Mi24 and 3 fortified buildings) - in this case the settings are the one from video "test1" but with 1.5 Pixel Density : 90 fps quasi constant (see Monitor5).