Knobs very sensitive when controlled by joystick buttons

lmp

Hay Chic,

can you make a lua to be able to assign it to a key or button too? Now you can't because it is still too fast of a change instead of a step by step. Sent you a PM about it on 1st Cav too...

It appears that the keyboard .lua is not amenable to this fix.

FYI: If you use VoiceAttack, you can program a key press so that it reduces the output pulse to milliseconds.

BTW, not seeing a PM on the 229th.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

By the nick "Blade"?

??

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

(B/229) Blade rings a bell?... :-)

Your reply PM at 1st Cav on May 9:

"Hey Blade,

You got it set up correctly.

Could the hat pov be outputting more than a single momentary signal, like an encoder switch would?"

(B/229) Blade rings a bell?... :-)

Your reply PM at 1st Cav on May 9:

"Hey Blade,

You got it set up correctly.

Could the hat pov be outputting more than a single momentary signal, like an encoder switch would?"

Ahh, "Nick" = "Nickname".

Cheers

JUST CHOPPERS

• 2 months later...
I've modded the NS430 default.lua to have the Right & Left, Large & Small rotary knobs output a single momentary pulse. Now getting errorless one:one responses from my rotary encoders. Should work with any type of controller input.

JSGME/OVGME ready.

Thanks, this works pretty well with Cougar MFDs. However, would it be possible to move the dials faster when the button is held down?

Thanks, this works pretty well with Cougar MFDs. However, would it be possible to move the dials faster when the button is held down?

Not sure what you're asking.

JUST CHOPPERS

Thanks for the workaround! I had the very same issue.

----

^I assume Galwran would like a faster "scroll rate"/"repeated steps" when you hold down a button in comparison to the speed achieved with a single press.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Do you want a faster scroll rate on the NS430 ??

Not sure why. The point of the mod is to reduce the response rate to 1:1;

so that 1 encoder click (which equates a single button press) will elicit 1 "scroll" unit. Otherwise navigating the NS430 menus becomes tedious.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your request.

JUST CHOPPERS

Do you want a faster scroll rate on the NS430 ??

Not sure why. The point of the mod is to reduce the response rate to 1:1;

so that 1 encoder click (which equates a single button press) will elicit 1 "scroll" unit. Otherwise navigating the NS430 menus becomes tedious.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your request.

He's requesting a 'key repeats' function.

Single press is a single press (example: .) BUT holding down the mapped button/key will act as repeated button presses (example .............), would probably be handy for the encoder knobs when trying to set a custom waypoint for instance.

I think one of the best solutions that could be implemented would be similar to how we use keys on a keyboard:

- single press held for less than 500ms (or so) and you have a single character/action.

- hold the key longer than 500ms and the character/action is repeated at a given rate per second.

With that we have accuracy for single presses and scroll functions (scrolling through letters (ICAOs, etc.), lists or moving the cursor in map mode, using the knobs, with the NS430).

And it's also intuitive and familiar to most users.

It would have been useful to get this from start.

At least, that's how I'd see it for multiple uses including physical encoders, momentary switches, buttons, etc.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Single press is a single press (example: .) BUT holding down the mapped button/key will act as repeated button presses (example .............), would probably be handy for the encoder knobs when trying to set a custom waypoint for instance.

The Encoder knobs already work that way with the mod.

Might be able to set up a Button Press to do this through VoiceAttack.

I'll test it and get back.

JUST CHOPPERS

Yeah, this :) I don’t have encoders, just buttons. I want single increment with a quick press of a button and more increment if the button is held down.

Yeah, this :) I don’t have encoders, just buttons. I want single increment with a quick press of a button and more increment if the button is held down.

Yah, I'm able to work that out in VoiceAttack. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get it polished up.

JUST CHOPPERS

What is the max number of subpages on any page? If you will keep the button pressed to fast scroll, I'm not sure if you will have such perfect reflexes to stop fast scrolling exactly at the page you want... just my 2 cents...

What is the max number of subpages on any page? If you will keep the button pressed to fast scroll, I'm not sure if you will have such perfect reflexes to stop fast scrolling exactly at the page you want... just my 2 cents...

For just a handful of pages, repetitive single button presses is reasonable. As for punching in waypoint data, the mods will work.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 5 months later...

UPDATE For those that maybe still running my Gps Knob Desensitization Mod (post #13).

I'm not sure how long this has been the case but it appears the DCS has fixed the issue internally. No need to run mod any more.

JUST CHOPPERS

Thanks for the info and update Chic ;)

I didn't know it's been fixed and I kept using your mod.

Thanks for your fix!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE to the UPDATE. (Post #42)

Not sure what's going on but default DCS is back to hypersensitive NS 430 knobs AND the mod stopped fixin it. Attached is an updated version of the mod which is working.

GPS Rotary Encoder Fix Chic v 1.2.zip

JUST CHOPPERS

• 1 month later...
UPDATE to the UPDATE. (Post #42)

Not sure what's going on but default DCS is back to hypersensitive NS 430 knobs AND the mod stopped fixin it. Attached is an updated version of the mod which is working.

thanks. was a nightmare the original sensitivity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice!! your welcome.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I've modded the NS430 default.lua to have the Right & Left, Large & Small rotary knobs output a single momentary pulse. Now getting errorless one:one responses from my rotary encoders. Should work with any type of controller input.

JSGME/OVGME ready.

Thanks Chic it worked for me

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Chic it worked for me

My Man.

JUST CHOPPERS