Markings on map functionality bug report and questions

@ED and @DCS team,

Markings are a nice addon functionality for DCS, although it also leans towards "cheating". But for briefing purposes this is excellent!

Markings allow to be placed on the map by players or using scripting during mission execution as text boxes, providing tactical instructions or reference points, in free text format.

The functionality also comes with 4 new APIs in DCS:

- trigger.action.markToAll()

- trigger.action.markToCoalition()

- trigger.action.markToGroup()

- trigger.action.removeMark()

I've been testing this functionality and been trying to embed it into the MOOSE framework, and our team has a couple of comments about the workings of markings...

1. There is a bug with markings. Markings placed for specific groups (using trigger.markToGroup()) does not seem to work with CA units. Find the attached mission as a demonstration, running the following code:

Plane = Group.getByName( "PLANE" )

if Plane and Plane:isExist() then
 local Vec3 = Plane:getUnit(1):getPosition().p
 local GroupID = Plane:getID()
 trigger.action.markToGroup( 1, "Plane Marking", Vec3, GroupID )
end

Tank = Group.getByName( "TANK" )

if Tank and Tank:isExist() then
 local Vec3 = Tank:getUnit(1):getPosition().p
 local GroupID = Tank:getID()
 trigger.action.markToGroup( 1, "Tank Marking", Vec3, GroupID )
end

The mission shows 2 units. To resimulate:

• Run the mission. Jump into the plane, and press F10. Wait 10 seconds and watch the mark appear on the plane. => OK!
  • Run the mission (again). Jump into the tank, and press F10. Wait 10 seconds and watch no mark appear on the tank => NOT OK!!!

2. Messages generated when a mark is placed, not good.

When a mark is placed by a user or using one of the APIs, a text is displayed "Mark added" within a running mission. While this is nice to have, it is quite not useful and it is disturbing. We wonder why that message appears and if it can't be disabled or removed overall.

Even more, when you generate a mark to a specific Group, using markToGroup(), each player will still receive that mark message...

Imagine a logic where 20 players are informed of a mark add, imagine if 5 marks are added for 20 players, that is 100 messages sent...

3. When a player in a running mission deletes a mark on the map, nobody knows about it. Is there an event generated that warns of this? Could such an S_EVENT_ be added in the scripting engine?

4. Is it possible to add APIs that allow to "enquire" the markings:

• An API that iterates through the markings set for All, Coalition or Group (based on choice of the mission designer), or, an API that retrieves all markings active in the mission? eg. trigger.action.getAllMarkingsForCoalition(coalition)
  • An API that allows to enquire a specific marking status (like retrieve text, and if it is still displayed etc). eg. trigger.action.getMarking(id)

Please consider the issue reported and the additional features if possible.

I assume the time is still okay for this request, as the functionality is still under development at ED.

kind regards,

FC

BUG-008 - Markings.miz

BUG-008 - Markings.lua

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Not sure how much in development it is. I kinda hope there gets to be more functionality in this regard (see Arma) but honestly not sure.

1. Would probably be a bug.

2. Yeah thats annoying and a new behavior since I last tested the funcs.

3. Made a feature request a while ago to have a "read only" parameter since people could delete markings. Kind of tangentially related. My point to that effect was that it could be something important for the mission and you'd have no idea if it was or wasn't removed. Event handlers for marks being added/removed would be nice.

4. Also would be nice and simply related to know what is and isn't there.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Not sure how much in development it is. I kinda hope there gets to be more functionality in this regard (see Arma) but honestly not sure.

1. Would probably be a bug.

2. Yeah thats annoying and a new behavior since I last tested the funcs.

3. Made a feature request a while ago to have a "read only" parameter since people could delete markings. Kind of tangentially related. My point to that effect was that it could be something important for the mission and you'd have no idea if it was or wasn't removed. Event handlers for marks being added/removed would be nice.

4. Also would be nice and simply related to know what is and isn't there.

Thanks.

Do your think this has a chance that the ED team will look into these suggestions, including yours on the locking of a mark? (If all gets reported and fits the schedule).

This is something that if not done today it will never be done...

Importance of it will become irrelevant as time goes on...

(As with many :-))

Sven

[/TABLE]

Unless ED outright close the request there is always a chance any feature request in the system gets implemented.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Another issue found with Markings. It seems to have issues with \n embedded in the provided string to be displayed as text in the markings text box. It can process \n, but if too many \n are added, DCS crashes...

[/TABLE]

• 9 months later...
Another issue found with Markings. It seems to have issues with \n embedded in the provided string to be displayed as text in the markings text box. It can process \n, but if too many \n are added, DCS crashes...

Any chance this could be fixed?! It causes an immediate CTD(!) if you add more than four carriage returns "\n" in a mark text. Is this reported or do you need more info?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Any chance this could be fixed?! It causes an immediate CTD(!) if you add more than four carriage returns "\n" in a mark text. Is this reported or do you need more info?

Adding to that, it can also happen if you have just four "\n" if at least one is so long that it causes a "automatic" line break.

Seems to be related to the box size?

BTW, there is nothing in the log file and not crash log generated.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss