How do the Slaw Device pedals compare to Baur pedals?

I'm in the market for a new set of rudder pedals. I currently have the VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV and the MFG Crosswind. I like both for different reasons, but I wanted to get something that either has or allows for a dampener to be installed. Does anybody know how the Slaw Device pedals compare to the Baur pedals? For the Slaw Device, what's the difference between the Bf109 and the Viper pedals? For Baur, what's the difference between the F1, F2, and F3?

I'd also be interested in any other combat-style pedals on the market. Most of what I've found is tailored towards commercial aircraft, so if you guys know of any other high-end sim pedals that emulate combat aircraft, I'd like to know about it. Thanks!

I can say the same about Slaw pedals, though it may be hard to find a person who tried both. I think the difference between current revisions of Bf109 (dora) and Viper pedals are only the footrests, the main mechanism looks the same. Though not sure which are currently available for sale, better check at the source (https://www.facebook.com/slaw.device).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I can say the same about Slaw pedals, though it may be hard to find a person who tried both. I think the difference between current revisions of Bf109 (dora) and Viper pedals are only the footrests, the main mechanism looks the same. Though not sure which are currently available for sale, better check at the source (https://www.facebook.com/slaw.device).
I have the BRD pedals. I like them. The dampening makes a huge difference. IIRC the F number has to do with the style of the base. Before I bought them I also researched slaw. I didn't find any bad reviews for either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have both the Slaw Vipers and the BRD F2 pedals. They are both excellent designs. I like the damper implementation of the BRD better, and the design is more compact.

The Vipers have better toe brakes, with cam spring resistance.

Both pedals need to be fixed to the floor, in some way, or they will move.

The Vipers look better, but the BRD pedals have a more military look. It totally depends on your personal taste.

I have both the Slaw Vipers and the BRD F2 pedals. They are both excellent designs. I like the damper implementation of the BRD better, and the design is more compact.

The Vipers have better toe brakes, with cam spring resistance.

Both pedals need to be fixed to the floor, in some way, or they will move.

The Vipers look better, but the BRD pedals have a more military look. It totally depends on your personal taste.

I have both the Vipers and the F1 pedals. I pretty much echo everything Goblin says. I use the cam with the softest center for each set, and have found the center softer (more smooth) on the Baur pedals.

I do like the brake pedal travel better on the Slaw's than the Baur pedals, but as it stands, right now the Baurs are my primary, and the Slaws are the backup.

Bottomline, I don't think you could go wrong with either set. I find them both fantastic.

• Like 1

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

I have the F3's, love them. Have not tried Slaw or Crosswinds, so can't comment on those. I suspect the best way is to pick the one you like the look of best, because everyone seems very happy with whichever one they bought.

I've yet to see any bad words for any of them. For me, I liked the engineering behind the aaur F3, and the design works perfectly for my setup.

Z...

My question is, how do you even go about buying Baur or Slaw Device?

For Slaw, you e-mail them at slawdevice@gmail.com. They have two models, the Bf-109 and the RX Viper. The RX Viper comes in 3 different colors for the pedals; red, silver, and black. Dunno about the color options for the Bf-109.

For Baur, he has a forum account on a number of sites, including this one. However, he's based primarily off of the Russian IL2 Sturmovik forum, where he has his own sub-board:

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

You need to create a forum account, wait for the moderators to approve it, then send him a PM. He has 6 (or possibly more) models available, the F-1, F-2, F-3, MS-1, MS-2, and MS-3. I'm still trying to figure out the differences between each one, but the MS series is supposed to be the cheaper one, has Kamov-style pedals and doesn't support adding a damper, whereas the F series is more expensive, has either Su-35 or Bf-109 pedals, and supports adding a damper except for the F-3.

Edited by Ranma13
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out the differences between each one...

There's a topic in this forum explaining the various Baur BRD pedals models/variations, but in resume:

MS models use a arched main bar (similar to Kamov helicopter pedals), lets call this "Kamov base".

MS-1 = "Kamov base" with Kamov style foot rest pedals, uniaxial pedal (no brakes), is the most affordable model. Need be bolted in cockpit's, Obutto's or some wood plate to add stability.

MS-1(2) = "Kamov base" with Kamov style foot rest plus a "X" support for base that allow use over floor - could be removed for bolt in cockpit's. Is this "X":

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_08_2016/post-2357-0-14595300-1471201895.jpg

MS-2 = Same (MS-1) pedal but without electronic controller, only sensor for rudder axis, is intended to be plugged in the axis of twist joystick's, e.g. Saitek's, as twist replacement - could be plugged in CH joystick using their throttle axis for rudder. Is a lower cost option for attend Russian market. Need be bolted on cockpit's/wood.

MS3 = Same Kamov base pedal with Su-35 style foot rest (similar to Saitek Combat foot rest) and toe brakes.

Need be bolted on cockpit's/wood, or bough with the "X" support (extra cost).

MS F3 = Same Kamov base with Bf 109 style food rest and the "X" support that allow use over floor - could be removed for bolt in cockpit's.

Optionally can bough with both Bf 109 and Su-35 style foot rest at extra cost.

None of the above models has support for motorcycle damper.

F2 = The "Friedrich" (Bf-109) pedal, more costly option, as use more metal in structure with dual bars, BF 109 style foot rest, toe brakes.

Came with support for motorcycle damper (user bough). Not sure about Su-35 foot rest for this version, but probable available as optional.

No one model has regular production, are made in batches few times per year, like Slaw pedals.

... but the MS series is supposed to be the cheaper one, has Kamov-style pedals and doesn't support adding a damper.

Damper in MS F3 (Kamov base) with user made support, he install damper in brakes too. Click in "Spoiler".

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/4543-anons-pedalnyj-restyling-ot-brd/page-5#entry469805

Edited by Sokol1_br

Damper in MS with user made support. Click in "Spoiler". He install damper in brakes too.

Yes, I get it, you can add a damper to anything if you're willing and able to mod it in yourself. There's a big difference though between "supports a damper" and "you can add a damper if you can fabricate some metal brackets, drill some holes, and reinforce the pedal structure". I'm not interested in the latter.

In that case the options resume to F1 and F2 "Friedrich". ;)

BTW - The difference between F1 and F2 is the use direct over floor or bolted in cockpit's/wood, and the F2 with SU-35 foot rest: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181872&

In the same topic the guy compare F1 with Slaw: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3035131&postcount=6

Edited by Sokol1_br

My question is, how do you even go about buying Baur or Slaw Device??? It's like some kind of underworld trying to find out how...

Remember, these guys are engineers. They enjoy building things, designing thngs, they are not sales guys. This is why their products are so good.

To get in touch with Baur, I sent him a PM on a Russian sim forum (google translate is a wonderfull thing), and he sent me his email address. I can probably dig it up if you like.

He's excellent to deal with, responds quickly, and 100% trustworthy with your money. :thumbup:

Z...