JESTER AI

grunf

Saw this earlier, looks and sounds absolutely incredible. Really impressive work that Heatblur is doing, pushing the envelop and setting themselves a cut above the rest. Can't wait to see/hear more from them on the Tomcat!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Sounds really exciting. I really hope they develop pilot bodies for in cockpit view. To look over your shoulder and be able to see your RIO I think is important for immersion. I also feel it really adds something to the VR experience when you can look down and see a pilot body.

Love the attention to detail here, things like not seeing a target because it's behind a mountain, sounds simple but these little things will make such a difference.

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Cool! It seems the raytracing algorithms they developed for the Viggen AG radar are paid off :D

Regards

I'm not sure if that is how JESTER works.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Really impressive work that Heatblur is doing, pushing the envelop and setting themselves a cut above the rest. Can't wait to see/hear more from them on the Tomcat!

+1 Absolutely love their work.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

looks great. i just hope, that they find good ways of interacting with jester. this might be even more important than the pure ai-capabilities... maybe voice-commands could be possible?!

I think they said a while ago, that they wanted to implement a radial menu to interact with Jester.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think they said a while ago, that they wanted to implement a radial menu to interact with Jester.

You're right. :)

I think you will find it to be far easier than you let on in your post.

It will be based around a quick-access GUI (probably radial) that will have the most common commands quickly identifiable and selectable. E.g.:

RIO -> Target -> Single -> Flanking

RIO -> Radar -> Dogfight Close

RIO -> Scan -> Visually -> Rear

RIO -> Callouts -> Altitude & Speed

These are just rough examples, don't take them at face value.

The AI system will evolve and be expanded as time goes on; you shouldn't expect it to be perfect on release day.

There will be obvious things missing that will just become obvious once people have started using the system.

There are good examples of quick access radial menus in other games that provide a good idea of how quick and easy it can be to issue commands.

I must say I am a little concerned with this statement -

JESTER will move his head to look at exactly where the switch/indicator being manipulated or used is in the cockpit, and thus will not be able to scan the sky at the same time.

I am sure HB are working with RL RIO'S and getting their input, but I can guaranteee they won't find one that doesn't know where the switches are in the rear and needs to 'look exactly at it' to manipulate it! As ex aircrew who's job it was to sit on the flight deck and operate switches on multiple panels above and below my line of sight, I never needed to look to find a switch or control - muscle memory takles your hand directly to it while you are scanning outside for airborne/ground targets, watching the airspeed/altitude when at 200' etc. Generally it is 'good practice' (but certainly not when a Mig-29/missile is on your six!) to confirm your switch selection before activation - which only takes approx 0.5 a second - so you can absolutely scan the sky at the same time!

I can only assume HB actually mean while the RIO is manipulating and operating the RADAR.

Will be very disappointed if the RIO takes his eyes off the bogey/missile everytime he actuates a switch!

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have to say I'm kinda suprised how few responses there are in this thread. I think the development of JESTER is almost revolutionary for DCS and yet almost no one seems to care. :huh:

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

I dont think so.

Maybe because we dont have the whole picture about Jester AI people are waiting for the release or more info to talk about.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Yes, it seems like most people here are not really aware of what JESTER actually will be, because most of the infos about it are burried deep in the forum.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I must say I am a little concerned with this statement -

JESTER will move his head to look at exactly where the switch/indicator being manipulated or used is in the cockpit, and thus will not be able to scan the sky at the same time.

I am sure HB are working with RL RIO'S and getting their input, but I can guaranteee they won't find one that doesn't know where the switches are in the rear and needs to 'look exactly at it' to manipulate it! As ex aircrew who's job it was to sit on the flight deck and operate switches on multiple panels above and below my line of sight, I never needed to look to find a switch or control - muscle memory takles your hand directly to it while you are scanning outside for airborne/ground targets, watching the airspeed/altitude when at 200' etc. Generally it is 'good practice' (but certainly not when a Mig-29/missile is on your six!) to confirm your switch selection before activation - which only takes approx 0.5 a second - so you can absolutely scan the sky at the same time!

I can only assume HB actually mean while the RIO is manipulating and operating the RADAR.

Will be very disappointed if the RIO takes his eyes off the bogey/missile everytime he actuates a switch!

The look length will be realistic.

Most of the switch flipping the RIO will be doing will be radar related, and that involves a lot of knob tweaking and staring into the DDD and TID.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

cobra, can you already say, if development for jester may result in a shared AI framework for future dcs doubleseaters?

i think it would be beneficial to have some sort of framework, so interacting with RIO is consitent between different modules and capabilities of AI RIO are somewhat comparable.

i'm sure, that there must have been discussions with ED about it, but i understand, if this is not yet open for public discussion.

that said, i'm really looking forward to flying the tomcat. i will probably buy it day 1. i'm sure it will be a fantastic module. still i'm a little bit concerned about the AI aspect, not because your status-update about jester wasn't promising (it sure was), but simply because the RIO AI will be such an integral part of the experience and AI/AI-interaction in general is such a tricky thing to get right, even for the big studios.

that said, keep up the good work!!!

It sure would be great if this AI framework would be available to all DCS developers, but I doubt that will happen just like Heatblurs ground mapping radar.

But I don't know of course, I'm just guessing.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have to say I'm kinda suprised how few responses there are in this thread. I think the development of JESTER is almost revolutionary for DCS and yet almost no one seems to care. :huh:

I hold my praise until I hear and read that it actually works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're right. :)

I would assume that Hollywood315 will be updating VAICOM 2.5 to have a F-14 Profile that would allow us to to use VoiceAttack to navigate the Jester AI comms rose verbally (i.e. voice commands)...if not, we could always just do it ourselves.

Cobra and Heatblur should consider give Hollywood some early accessibility to it (once it is ready) so he can get a head start on building the VAICOM profile. :thumbup:

Thought the same thing, honestly. Tons of "Likes" and comments on Facebook, but not much discussion here. I thought this would blow up with excitement and discussion on the forums, it's a game changer IMO. I'm very impressed.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The Jester is discussed around other places as well... not every discussion translates to these forums.

Secondly, not every user follows facebook, so this might be missed information for many. I read the post when it was fresh out of the oven, but I really don't have anything to add to that right now.

It is all fine, but flooding the forums with "this is awesome" and/or concerned comments is the exact way information gets buried. Everyone is of course allowed to post, but I wouldn't feel bad if they don't.

EDIT: I think you gentlemen read a bit too harshy into what I noted above. As the third paragraph states in the beginning: "It is all fine". I did not mean that as a "do as I say". It was but a comment.

See what I did here punk? I answered your post without creating an additional post. Touché.

*EDIT: And RaceFuel85, I would not call a general comment as complaining. I made an observation. If I were to complain, the wording would be along the lines of "Too many people just flood the forums with unnecessary comments and bury information, and you want more of it. Stop!" There is a difference.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

The Jester is discussed around other places as well... not every discussion translates to these forums.

Secondly, not every user follows facebook, so this might be missed information for many. I read the post when it was fresh out of the oven, but I really don't have anything to add to that right now.

It is all fine, but flooding the forums with "this is awesome" and/or concerned comments is the exact way information gets buried. Everyone is of course allowed to post, but I wouldn't feel bad if they don't.

While I understand where your sentiment comes from, I can not help but say how rude it is that you took time to post it and have the temerity to tell others how they should use an open forum on the interdweebs. Then again, it is an open forum... see what I did there? :P Ease up mate, it is all good. There are now two more useless posts burying the information and who knows how many more if you answer me back and I answer you and others chime in blah, blah, blah ...

<Salute>

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're burying information with this post complaining about non-contributing posts burying information.

No worries everyone. :) I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion once you actually use JESTER. To be quite frank and blunt; in the beginning, JESTER will probably be pretty dumb. We are laying the foundation for something that will play an integral part in many of our future modules.

We will be introducing new functions, algorithms and routines to make it better and more lifelike as we go along, that includes taking a lot of feedback from the community on things they want or feel could be better. A Large usage sample size is critical to this process.

• Like 2

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/