HOTAS count results?

GazAce

Hey good Pilots!

Remember back in the beginning of the year or perhaps late last year, we had that HOTAS count, where everyone submitted their HOTAS model numbers to this database here in the forum. Anyone know what became of that, final talley or anything?

Cheers G :)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Umm yea thanks but I posted my serial # quite some time ago :noexpression:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Me too, but I sold it and just bought another one coming tomorrow. Should I post my new number?

How come Buzz? And yep for sure, post it smile.gif

I don't have a good reason why I sold it. Just a dumb move that I do now and then.

lol I hear ya man, same here from time to time smile.gif

Halfway off-topic maybe, but how reliable you guys think TM HW is physically? I mean you can hear about 4-way switch wearing off needing replacement, gimbals needing sanding job and pretty much complete stick disassembly to achieve smooth movement without sticking, spring change or removal to have more reasonable stick force. I'm just wondering recently if I should commit buying one, or would I buy more headache than joy for a rather high end price tag? I know bad news have longer legs, and the majority who has no problem is silently playing in the meantime, I also know it's a top quality hardware if and as long it works properly, but does it?

Good question. I'm only a recent owner of the WH hotas, bought second hand at a steal. Anyway, I had the x55 for 2 years, and honestly really liked it. I sold it to fund a set of pedals as the WH doesn't have twist stick rudder, just hope I didn't make a mistake. The WH is good, don't get me wrong, but I have only had it 4 weeks and already had to tear it down and sand the crap out of it to get it moving better, and mess with the throttle slew control which still gives me a fit when I use it. It's great for dcs A10, just maybe not much else, if you play other games like space sims etc stay away.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

I never had a problem with the first one I had and I asked the buyer the other day how the Warthog was doing and he said it's fine with no problems.

Like you said. You only hear about the complaints. The tens of thousands you don't hear about are probably having no problems.

As for the stiff springs? I like that. It makes me smoother on the controlling the aircraft. I tend to over control with lighter springs. So, that means I don't have to spend more money for an extension either. That would lighten up the springs.

Stiction might become a problem in time when the factory lube dries out. I watch a video giving step by step instructions on how to fix the problem and it seems easy enough. Cheap fix too. Some different grade sandpapers and some better grease. No big deal. I know some guys never have to do it and the stick is still smooth, so maybe i'll get lucky and not have to do it. Mine is super smooth right out of the box.

Buzz

It's a little finicky, but you get used to it. Extending the little nub helps a lot. It doesn't bother me and other than the little stick being too short it works fine. For me anyway.

You know some guys complain more than others. I hardly ever determine if I should buy something by the complainers. You need to listen to both sides. I see way more guys praising the warthog than complaining about it.

I don't know any Hotas that doesn't have problems. I owned CH for years and had problems with them and they're the most reliable Hotas you can buy. Does that make them bad? Of course not. Look in a Rolls Royce dealership and you'll see the cars in the shop being repaired. Nothing you can buy is perfect.

Buzz

Very true buzz, I agree. I'm happy enough with the WH, I'm just not blown away by it. I have not heard of any failures as such though, maybe a bit of wear and tear over extended use but nothing to worry about. I don't fly enough to put mine in any danger of wearing out that's for sure ;)

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Its a shame there are no longer any HOTAS Modders out there. I am still using the Thrusmaster Cougar, I cant tell you how many times I had to get replacement parts direct from them, but for the most part, they are no longer available thru them. My Original one wore the gimbals out to crap, not to mention some buttons etc. I was fortunate enough to find one that was Modded out with the Gimbals and Hall sensors quite a few years ago on ebay, but it was very expensive. At least the gimbals and hall sensors are holding up, but the buttons are sticking a bit and I have some spiking in some pots. I considered buying the Warthog, but after reading alot of reviews, I decided to hold off, basically due to wear and tear issues.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Halfway off-topic maybe, but how reliable you guys think TM HW is physically? I mean you can hear about 4-way switch wearing off needing replacement, gimbals needing sanding job and pretty much complete stick disassembly to achieve smooth movement without sticking, spring change or removal to have more reasonable stick force. I'm just wondering recently if I should commit buying one, or would I buy more headache than joy for a rather high end price tag? I know bad news have longer legs, and the majority who has no problem is silently playing in the meantime, I also know it's a top quality hardware if and as long it works properly, but does it?

Buyer beware......

https://www.google.com/search?q=thrustmaster+warthog+problems&oq=thrustmaster+warthog&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60l2j69i57j69i60j69i59.6126j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

I did the Cougar dance years ago and it cost me a fortune. I like the Warthog much better.

I hear that! Like I said though, I have done my share of research, I have seen alot of posts about having to deal with problems with the Warthog as well, including the Gimbals. I will say this, its seems though that if my current Cougar gets to a point it is not usable, It seems currently that the Warthog is its best replacement.These things get significant wear,,,and I have never had any longevity out of any other plastic ones!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Yes, the Cougar is certainly more universal, but I fly the Hog Primarily, and if I had the $$$ to blow, I would have purchased one for it

• 2 weeks later...

On my Wh I didn't do any sanding, but did replace the factory grease with better, very smooth ever since. I had the board go out in the throttle (I have one of the early ones that had some issues) but a replacement was no hassle.

I did suggest to TM a long time ago to make a stand alone Cougar f-16 throttle, but never heard back. I think they are missing out on some $$ by not doing that.