Canopy scratches

q800

Personally I hope if they do come back that they are optional , they are unrealistic and annoying IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

They were unrealistic TBH, and w/ PBR, everything is going to be rendered w/ correct physical parameters now,

Glass, Metal, Non Metals, etc.

So Baked on Scratches and Reflections are going to be gone.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

And that is a good thing. Another step in the right direction.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

• 3 weeks later...

I don´t understand, why it is a crusade? And how people can think they are unrealistic? You only have to watch some real life videos to see the scraches all over the canopy on real aircraft.

Some examples:

Canopy scratches

More canopy scratches

Aaaand at min 2:15....Canopy scratches!!!

Edited by AKULA_OPTIMUS

They are gone? Pretty sure I still see'em. Maybe not in all aircraft though?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

more realistic would be partial scuff marks, and not a global scratched texture.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I started with DSC when scratched canopies were already gone, but always wondered, when watching older tutorial vids on YT, why there were scratches. I don't find them to be too unrealistic also. I would also want them back as an optional thing to choose from.

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

Every F-16 I ever sat in had "crazed" canopies, why so many people do not believe that some aircraft canopies have that is beyond me.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I've seen this issue pop up in many different forums, but yes scratches are a thing. They exist is operation active duty aircraft. Canopies have a time change that often mated to the phase flow of an aircraft. As a maintainer of 17 years I have sat in the cockpits of F-16s and F-15Es performing functional checks and the canopies while clear are not perfect. Scuffs and scratches accumulate quickly despite the glass being "Waxed" daily. I don't think people realize how often pilots bump into them.

No one is reckless around a canopy, but is tends to happen. The only perfectly clear canopy is a brand new one. What one considers a scratch and a scuff might need clarification but I will say that the glass is not perfect after a week.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

• 4 months later...
What has happened to my favourite eye candy effect in 1.5 - canopy scratches? They're gone.

Will they return to my favourite sim?

I can see them in 2.5, but maybe they changed something. I play in VR and I have to practically put my face against the canopy glass and fly towards the sun to see them. In the youtube video's I've seen, they always seem much more pronounced than what I'm seeing in VR, but that could be due to the clarity differences between VR and 1080+ res videos I see on youtube.

• 1 month later...

The latest hornet videos from Wags have the scratches. Maybe it's just for the F18? Or maybe they're planning to get them back?

I've got a few modules and I'd swear I can't see any scratches on any of them; I miss them TBH. Can live without them, though.

The latest hornet videos from Wags have the scratches. Maybe it's just for the F18? Or maybe they're planning to get them back?

I've got a few modules and I'd swear I can't see any scratches on any of them; I miss them TBH. Can live without them, though.

I can see them & they are way overdone IMO.

I think if you set your shadows to flat only, then you can see them.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 2 weeks later...

scratches in 2.5.1 are very annoying as sometimes in certain conditions you can't see shit, and there is no way to disable them whatever settings I choose for shadow, either it is flat,default,low,mid or high I will always get the scratches which ruins everything.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I agree that this graphic "Feature" is way, way over done. It makes it look like the crew chief tried to clean the canopy with steel wool! It's so bad that, even when under a full overcast, if you look back towards where the sun would be if it were visible, the scratches are obscuring the view. Please ED, dial this back a bit. :mad:

I am seeing them in the SU-33 and Harrier.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]