The Next Step for VR Headsets

DigitalEngine

The Next Step for VR Headsets: Display Technology to Improve Before Wireless Solutions Arrive.

"ABI Research finds that 4K displays are likely to be the next great leveller of the VR headset playing field.

The growing adoption of virtual reality (VR) devices worldwide is a fantastic achievement, but at the same time is accelerating the need for improved hardware. While many argue that wireless head-mounted displays (HMDs) are the next barrier, ABI Research suggests that the display technology will improve before high-end untethered VR becomes the norm."

Full article here :)

Slowly, but surely....;)

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask what are system bottlenecks for VR. In October I will be investing in my 5 year rig to replace my current i7-2600k which runs fine.

I will get the 1080ti and multi core i7 but was wondering if there is a path VR is taking to utilise hardware differently and improve performance. If it's just two GPUs that's great because the mono will support crossfire.

Ps. Not a amd vs Intel discussion please!

Can I ask what are system bottlenecks for VR. In October I will be investing in my 5 year rig to replace my current i7-2600k which runs fine.

I will get the 1080ti and multi core i7 but was wondering if there is a path VR is taking to utilise hardware differently and improve performance. If it's just two GPUs that's great because the mono will support crossfire.

Ps. Not a amd vs Intel discussion please!

This is more depend on games you will play than hardware. For example for DCS right now SLI/CF is pointless because DCS don't have any benefit from it at all.

So single 1080ti is best you can get no matter how god it is.

XFire/SLi is pointless for VR Anyway, As the Oculus API Doesnt Directly Support it.

That is to the Oculus same as ED.

Poin is AMD and Nvidia got build in newer GPU technology that will use single GPU per eye, no clasic SLI/CF. So we could not blaim GPU developers when two cheep RX580 will kick ass with implementation of such technology in VR.

Why it is not implemented in Rift and Games I don't know and that is huge break for VR progresion. Right technologies are out already for more than 4 years and they are still not implemented and benefit will be huge.

This is more depend on games you will play than hardware. For example for DCS right now SLI/CF is pointless because DCS don't have any benefit from it at all.

So single 1080ti is best you can get no matter how god it is.

Single 1080Ti is anyways better as SLI setup will lower the rendering performance by a 15-30% compared to single 1080Ti depending the game.

So you do not want to invest at all to SLI setup on 1080Ti.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The next 2019-2020 versions that would come (not any earlier, as we need new hardware for cheaper prices to render things well) should have a 6K (4K panels per eye, or at least something around 1440 per eye.

But most important improvement is the foveon rendering with eye tracking, dropping 30-40% of the processing power requirements, but that is very likely wasted by just adding new graphics "as there is now more capabilities!".

And then of course get something wider than 55-60 degree FOV, at least around 110-120 degrees so we could start to get a peripheral vision to be useful, increase in immersion and help somewhat in the nausia.

Then one addition should be a hand tracking with a new sensor below the HMD.

So nothing really "radical" is probably coming but just going for "4K" or "8K" marketing things, not so much sense.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.