Impact of monitor change: same size but higher resolution

Hi,

I currently have a 27" TN 1920 x 1080 @144 Hz monitor.

I am considering to get a 27" TN 2560 x 1440 @144 Hz monitor and more specifically this one

So the surface will be the same (27") but the resolution will increase.

What will happen?

Will I see the same image with more details? (let's say a DCS module cockpit). I am mostly interested in a better readability of gauges because I fly classic choppers.

Will I see a bigger image? On the iiyama website they say "more on-screen space". If so, that bigger image will have more details?

Other?

It's hard for me to imagine... The last time I changed a monitor, the resolution increased but the size too.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I went from 1920 x 1200 27" 16:10 (2304000)

to

3440 x 1440 34" 21:9 ultra wide (4953600) an increase of 115%

The amount of extra pixels to render will reduce the FPS proportionally

go here to preview -> http://www.displaywars.com/

for you

to

so an increase of 77.78%

What will happen?

The pixels will be smaller than before = more detail

Oh and your card as listed above is a GTX 770 and the screen you linked is freesync (not support by Nvidia)

Edited by Johnny_Rico
  • Like 1

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Thanks Johnny!

The pixels will be smaller than before = more detail

Cool, I got it :)

Right, the monitor I intend to buy (iiyama around 500 euros) is not Gsync (Nvidia).

However I must confess that I currently have a Freesync (not Nvidia compatible) iiyama monitor and I don't have problem at all. No tearing or that sort of things. So I wonder if Gsync/Freesync is so important.

If I had to get a Gsync, it would be 650 euros for a Dell with a classic design.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I have gsync with a 1080TI

The effect it has is when the FPS drops a lot eg flying close to lots of objects

is that you do not notice stuttering at all

Screen tearing is to do with VSYNC (off = tearing , on = no tearing BUT if FPS takes a hit, you notice stuttering

My 34" asus gsync cost a poop load of money, but was worth it

Gsync is beyond believe until you have experienced it with your own eyes, that good it is !

That's also why I hold back on any VR.

Now, with Gsync, after DECADES of screen tearing, fragments & stutter I finally have the perfect setup for non-VR. Smooth as silk like never before. I am not going to change to VR unless they offer the same smoothness as Gsync and a Pixel Density that is at least at the level of my 2560x1440 res. for reasonable money. I love what I have too much to trade.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hello Bitmaster,

Thanks for your testimonial on Gsync. Much appreciated!

I am not interested in VR either at this time.

After Johnny's (and now your) suggestion about Gsync, I am now considering this 27" TN 144 Hz 2560 x 1440, 16:9: DELL S2716DG

Indeed I used iiyama so fat but it looks like they have a partnership with AMD, so they have only FreeSync and not Gsync.

I see that you have a GTX 980 and Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz

What fps do you get in 2560 x 1440? Do you have medium/high/very high graphics settings in DCS?

- Tony -

Gsync is beyond believe until you have experienced it with your own eyes, that good it is !

That's also why I hold back on any VR.

Now, with Gsync, after DECADES of screen tearing, fragments & stutter I finally have the perfect setup for non-VR. Smooth as silk like never before. I am not going to change to VR unless they offer the same smoothness as Gsync and a Pixel Density that is at least at the level of my 2560x1440 res. for reasonable money. I love what I have too much to trade.

Sorry BitMaster I crossed the line to the dark side and jumped in and grabbed the rift while on special $440usd or $550aud in my case.:)

Yep, the res isn't there but it's not to bad either, all I can say is wow, it makes DCS a completely different sim, it feels like I'm relearning every aircraft, because of the immersion and depth perception.

You really get to see "what is" DCS World "your there in person" everything is full size!, no other way to describe it.... The modeling in DCS is just amazing in VR 3D!! you can truly appreciate it more when full size in front of you.

The first few times you crash, you think? mmm this is going to hurt! Even start to flinch up! :cry:

CH controls feel even more out of place now, my brain automatically saying, this doesn't feel right does it.

Was it worth the money? I would have to say yes, only now at the price I paid tho, Even just to setup small missions away from Vegas to fly circuits is amazing, you can still fly small missions tho, I'm still playing with some settings.

Got my 1070 Screaming a little with MSI Afterburner to push the fps up.

I would say this first gen definitely suits the confined area car sims more, with no other cars my system can run Irace almost at the max settings and hold 90fps. These sim are cRazy good fun in the rift too.

Now I cannot wait to see the nex gen VR, this is definitely the future, games / sims will never be the same. The guy's here are right, it's so hard now to go back to my monitor, even with the res at the moment.

Hello Bitmaster,

Thanks for your testimonial on Gsync. Much appreciated!

I am not interested in VR either at this time.

After Johnny's (and now your) suggestion about Gsync, I am now considering this 27" TN 144 Hz 2560 x 1440, 16:9: DELL S2716DG

Indeed I used iiyama so fat but it looks like they have a partnership with AMD, so they have only FreeSync and not Gsync.

I see that you have a GTX 980 and Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz

What fps do you get in 2560 x 1440? Do you have medium/high/very high graphics settings in DCS?

Simicro,

Your 770 will start to struggle I think @ 2560 x 1440 and is your weakest link in your system, you will need to lower some settings.

These are my settings HERE when running a large mission in Normandy on the 1070.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hello David, I plan to change my graphic card too: 1060, 1070 or 1080

- Tony -

@simicro - thats a nice screen ( i have 2 other dell screens, 1st one is 8 years old and still going strong)

@Bitmaster

I tried VR with an Occulus and ended up returning it after just over a week

GSync has spoiled me and the 3440 x 1400 res is beautiful

VR presence of being in a cockpit is great, poor distance visuals + FPS hit that is noticable when coming from GSync put me off

I have gsync with a 1080TI

The effect it has is when the FPS drops a lot eg flying close to lots of objects

is that you do not notice stuttering at all

Screen tearing is to do with VSYNC (off = tearing , on = no tearing BUT if FPS takes a hit, you notice stuttering

My 34" asus gsync cost a poop load of money, but was worth it

And if you don't want to see their testing methods: jump to 8:38

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@simicro - thats a nice screen ( i have 2 other dell screens, 1st one is 8 years old and still going strong)

@Bitmaster

I tried VR with an Occulus and ended up returning it after just over a week

GSync has spoiled me and the 3440 x 1400 res is beautiful

VR presence of being in a cockpit is great, poor distance visuals + FPS hit that is noticable when coming from GSync put me off

The VR main benefit at this moment is only about the experience of sitting in the cockpit and then "sightseeing".

It ain't good enough for an combat or aircraft training as you can't really read and operate the cockpit.

It is just a hard truth that 9/10 just seems to think that normal monitor is still the superior way to do the combat, training and learning.

I returned my Vive as it was not as good package as the Rift, that I kept. Yet the VR does have the own benefits but when they are like 1/3 of what the displays show, it is just not worth it at its current displays.

But once you get a experience of a ie. 55" 4K HDR display, there is no way you go back to VR.

The investment for a good monitor is not just smart, it is almost only choice you can make.

The VR works well visually with simple aircrafts like L-39 for training of landing and some maneuvers as you can get OK'ish look to the instruments, but that is almost it. With helicopters it has nice effect to help piloting for an landing, but not so much different when you know what you do anyways.

If the only game you ever play is a DCS, you are prepared to put few thousands for a top end PC to get sometimes a good framerate and often not for the VR (about 20-30, way below needed 45fps and 90fps) then it might be sense to buy.

But going from 1080 display to 1440 is fairly small, still. Even 4K is little off there. Having more details is always nice but after some point the extra details start to be not improvement.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks for your feedback Johnny :)

- Tony -