[Feature Request] Visual Combat Effects

Magic Zach

Watching combat videos, I can't help but notice that we are missing sparks when bullets hit aircraft. All we have is a poof of smoke. We need a better visual confirmation that our shots are landing.

Another thing, smoke is currently pretty stale looking. It should be more "billowy" and thick. Currently ALL smoke is greasy and thin.

I think both of these effects can be added with the effects updates that will be coming after 2.5. I know smoke is planned to be improved, but I'm simply restating that. I don't know if ED had those flashes and sparks in mind when bullets hit the outside of the aircraft, so if not, I'm giving ideas.

Also, tracers need to be more visible. They can currently be seen from the side, but it's exceedingly difficult from the front and back. I believe that this is also planned.

6c933223af51cf53bd8cbe1895b160b9.jpgcdbea48a5908e0f71157475a630a6e09.jpg628bb230b86f8977ec8c8285026c240b.jpg
Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

For sure it would really be nice if they added a spark/flash effect when you are making hits. See those occur in countless guncam footage. Just overall improvements needed in the area are definitely due and in order.

Hopefully one day, the DCS mantra..lol.

That is not 'sparks' from bullets hitting metal, the sparkles come from a particular 'Observer' ammunition designed to do that and nothing else ie it did almost no damage. They mixed it in with the machine gun ammo that does the damage. Incendiary ammo also shows the hits but not as 'sparkles'. As we cannot chose our ammo loadout then I suppose DCS could model that our Mg belt always includes the occasional observer round.

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

That is not 'sparks' from bullets hitting metal, the sparkles come from a particular 'Observer' ammunition designed to do that and nothing else ie it did almost no damage. They mixed it in with the machine gun ammo that does the damage. Incendiary ammo also shows the hits but not as 'sparkles'. As we cannot chose our ammo loadout then I suppose DCS could model that our Mg belt always includes the occasional observer round.

US planes did not have "observer" amunition. It is the standard issue M8 API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) and M20 APIT (Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer). The magnesium at the tip of the bullet makes a flash when bullet strikes and they do a ton of damage.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Roblex, I don't think you are correct. Observer rounds were not part of the load-out for the Mk IX Spit and other aircraft at this time. I believe you will find that observer rounds gave a puff of smoke with no damage, not sparks/flashes. I believe that observer rounds have no place for aircraft live combat firing at all for this time.

I think you will find it is incendiary rounds that cause the sparkle effect, not observer rounds!

From the source liked below:

Note that the RAF did not mix .303 ammunition belts. This was to reduce the risk of stoppages, so only one type of cartridge was used per gun belt.

By 1942, the .303 standard load-out was 50% guns AP and 50% guns incendiary ammunition.

From 1942 on, the standard Hispano loading became 50% HEI, 50% SAPI.

http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/RAF%20guns.htm

Please also see this thread post asking for historical load-out for the Spit IX, as DCS would appear to be giving us outdated and less effective ammunition than we should have. It would appear that we should certainly not have observer rounds. This is another WWII issue that we have not heard anything back from the ED Spitfire developers about; I wish so very much that they would be more communicative.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183520

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

I am awaiting that time, when we get new hit effects and damage model.

19b69080b1dec5aecac46433edd28c5d.gif

Nice GIF there. It's awesome that you can see the hits travel from left wingtip and up to the cockpit.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe OT. But why should we see sparks when hitting trees in Normandy?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I am not sure whether that happens... But you can see flashes on the ground/dirt, so might actually spark on a tree. I would imagine that it is the magnesium alone that makes a flash, but I might be wrong.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Who mentioned that there should be sparks when hitting trees? I never said anything about that. I'm not arguing against anything realistic, just wondering how sparks from trees got brought up.
Edited by Magic Zach
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Who mentioned that there should be sparks when hitting trees? I never said anything about that. I'm not arguing against anything realistic, just wondering how sparks from trees got brought up.

Noone mentioned it thats why I said maybe OT. But since sparks WAS mentioned, i felt compelled to mention the fact that the other night when I struck a tree in Normandy in a Spitfire, there was a shower of sparks above ground when I struck the tree. Just an observation I was sharing. My bad...maybe I just have my settings turned up to high...Ha! Or just a result of all the banging twisting metal. So I guess in retrospect, maybe it is appropriate.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10