Keeping TGP locked onto targets in mountain ranges?

mastersetter

Hi all. Been having a tough time on mission 5, TEWI campaign. Had a few goes at it but cant seem to get good SA, and my TGP ends up tracking a hill that passes between it and my locked target. I know there is a way of preventing this, but cant think what it is and I have been unable to find a solution as yet. Can anyone provide info?

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Hi, one easy thing to do is swtich from POINT or AREA mode into INS mode (TMS down short). This way your TGP won't lock on a hill in front of the target, but look 'through' the hill and stay at the actual position.

The best (and imo correct) procedure however is TMS right short to make a Markoint for your target or location.

Then you can always slew sensors back to it with Chinahat aft long, whenever your TGP 'jumps'

• Like 1

Hi, one easy thing to do is swtich from POINT or AREA mode into INS mode (TMS down short). This way your TGP won't lock on a hill in front of the target, but look 'through' the hill and stay at the actual position.

The best (and imo correct) procedure however is TMS right short to make a Markoint for your target or location.

Then you can always slew sensors back to it with Chinahat aft long, whenever your TGP 'jumps'

ty, this enlighted me a little too with the INS option. didnt knew about it.

quick question: does the INS auto update regularly in the a10c? i mean, i guess it uses its GPS to maintain it updated all the flight. isnt it?

ty

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

When i need to engage an area with multiple targets or if the terrain is going to be screwing up my line of sight to the targets constantly, i just change the STEER PT DIAL to MARK, pick my targets from the TGP and create mark points over them. After that i can target any one of them instantly, i know where each and every one of them is at all times, broadcast or send those targets to my wingman. Its almost like cheating to be honest.

Edited by kylekatarn720
  • Like 1

I agree what was said before - Markpoints are extremely useful for using the TGP. Especially in Georgia, where your view will be masked by the mountains quite often.

Also, try to lear as much as you can looking outside the pit and not on the MFCDs, you'll be amazed how much more you'll be able to achieve with better situational awareness!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Also, try to lear as much as you can looking outside the pit and not on the MFCDs, you'll be amazed how much more you'll be able to achieve with better situational awareness!

could not agree more!

That's also the power of flying with a good wingman, you can go heads down and use your sensors, but at all times there should be one guy in the flight just looking out of the window and build SA and yell if there are tracers/missiles. Saved my virtual life many times

+1 for Markpoints, +100 for Wingmen and mutual support. :thumbup:

Of course mutual support doesn't work in single player missions and campaigns (unless the AI gets a major overhaul), but Markpoints are incredibly useful in any type of mission.

Going MP with good wingmen / flights leads is definitely a game changer. While I like good SP missions a lot, MP is pretty much the way to go in the long run IMHO.

• Like 1