Low performance

Hi,

I've been trying to get the best experience playing DCS, and I've even tried setting everything to the lowest setting possible, but the game still often freezes and makes the FPS drop significantly (like freezing for half a second or so).

My pc, I believe, is more than enough to play DCS: i5 4690 (quad core), 16 GB RAM, GTX 970. I've also tried to overclock the GPU, but didn't see any difference.

When I set the graphic settings a bit higher, I get like 30 FPS, and the number of times I have sudden FPS drops increases even more. Is there a solution for getting steady fps, like I get in most other games?

Thank you in advance,

Guilherme

Setup:

Hardware: i5-4690, 16 Gb ddr3 1600, GTX 970

Caucasus.

Because on Nevada and Normandy the things are even worse. And in the future on the updated Caucasus 2.x it will be worse as well :smilewink:

I also have similar troubles since I'm using a damn laptop. The best thing I could do is to reduce screen resolution (from available 1920 to 1600). The overall picture doesn't look good, but at least it's pretty playable in DCS 1.5 :)

I'll stay in this thread for a while, maybe I'll see some useful tip or trick here :book:

(One of the advises i saw before was to turn off mirrors if possible)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

guilhermemtr: you touched the weakness of the 1.5.7, game engine problem

[REPORTED]DCS 1.5.7 stutters heavily unit related: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190539

Global FPS drop caused by GROUP AI - 5 SAM battery vs. 300 enemy static object: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193414

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Yeah, for Normandy and Nevada, FPS are always low.

Is there anything I can do to make them go up and keep decent graphics? I mean, I really hate seeing trees spawning randomly as I fly across the map. But I also don't want to spend like 700£ on a new gpu, just for dcs, I'm not rich after all, and my gpu should be very good already

Setup:

Hardware: i5-4690, 16 Gb ddr3 1600, GTX 970

You can try my settings for Normandy found HERE

Test and lower some of the setting in nvidia control panel for your 970, try not going to 2x supersampling and lower the Visibility range down by one notch.

Other things to lower and test:

Trees Visibility: I can max this and still zoom in with no stutter, 8gb video memory helps here I guess, not in the rift tho.

Preload Radius: Try taking this down too and test, 100,000 etc.

DCS needs more optimising, hopfully things will get better moving forward:)

NOTE: You can use MSAA and anisotropic filtering in 1.5, I dont run them in sim in 2.1 when using Deferred Shading.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link