AV-8B NA Pocket Guide (WiP)

Zeus67

Pocket Guide has been updated:

- Mavericks

- AGM-122A

- Weapons Jettison

- RWR (WiP)

- Notes and Warnings.

Should both of these say "black", or is that a typo? (from page 71)

When in hot track, the missile crosshairs are black, while in cold track the

crosshairs are black.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should both of these say "black", or is that a typo? (from page 71)

Typo. When using HOT track, the crosshairs are white.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Missile Launch Warning System (MLWS)

The AV‐8B NA does not have a Missile Launch Warning System.

A A/G-aircraft without MLWS seems kinda strange. Is there a reason why that important feature is missing on the AV-8B? 90% of the time i cant see/find launched missiles even with a screaming mlws on the a-10c and just explode in midair.

PC: i7 6700K - GTX980ti - ASUS Z170P D3 - 32GB DDR3 - Samsung 850Evo - 5TB HDD

Displays: BenQ RL2455HM - Acer Pred. XB241H - BenQ RL2455HM

Controller: Modded TM WH grip on VKB Glad.2PRO, TM WH Trottle, TM MFD`s,

Saitek Rudder, 3xArduino Mega+Leonardo for AV8B panels, TIR5,

A A/G-aircraft without MLWS seems kinda strange. Is there a reason why that important feature is missing on the AV-8B? 90% of the time i cant see/find launched missiles even with a screaming mlws on the a-10c and just explode in midair.

I understand your concern, but you are asking the wrong person. I searched countlesd photos looking for thr MLWS sensors and never found them. Even cutaways detailed the RWR sensor but that was it. So unless somebody can document that such system exists in the AV-8B, the aircraft never had that system.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

There is many a2g aircraft without mlws...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Quite an interesting read and thanks for making it available to us guys!

Quick question: does the VFP symbol only display vertical change, rather then a TVV symbol such as in the A-10 which shows both vertical and horizontally where the aircraft is going to end up, seeing as there is a seperate digital sideslip indicator on the HUD? Any (further) differences regarding the VFP?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

I found a harrier equipped with a missile warning system. For what i know, it was a test aircraft (see harrier T12 from BAE) and surely not an AV-8B.

It was not a common system on the harriers so and it works on the principle of the RADAR to detect the approaching missile. False alarm rate was an issue and detection range wasn't that great. Not sure if it made to the production.

some picture made by someone avaible thru this link : http://p1127.co.uk/Harrier/HarrierT12/index.html

Check for the pictures on the tip of the wing (big grey radome, the yellow ones are for the radar warning system) and on the bottom fin of tail (also a big radome).

Now it's a bit of speculation from me cause i can't verify the source.

Additional info on T10 and T12 :

BAE Harrier II T10 : Original two seat training version of Harrier II used as a basis for the design of the US Marine Trainer and the TAV-8B

BAE Harrier II T12 : Uprated T10 aircraft to receive the JUMP update - Less powerful Pegasus 105 engine

from http://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage/hawker-siddeley-harrier2

Edited by jinroh

Quite an interesting read and thanks for making it available to us guys!

Quick question: does the VFP symbol only display vertical change, rather then a TVV symbol such as in the A-10 which shows both vertical and horizontally where the aircraft is going to end up, seeing as there is a seperate digital sideslip indicator on the HUD? Any (further) differences regarding the VFP?

VTOL HUD mode is a special mode for take-offs and landings. It is not meant to be used for normal flying and as you can see, when you change to attack mode (A/A or A/G) the HUD looks like other HUDs.

I found a harrier equipped with a missile warning system. For what i know, it was a test aircraft (see harrier T12 from BAE) and surely not an AV-8B.

It was not a common system on the harriers so and it works on the principle of the RADAR to detect the approaching missile. False alarm rate was an issue and detection range wasn't that great. Not sure if it made to the production.

some picture made by someone avaible thru this link : http://p1127.co.uk/Harrier/HarrierT12/index.html

Check for the pictures on the tip of the wing (big grey radome, the yellow ones are for the radar warning system) and on the bottom fin of tail (also a big radome).

Now it's a bit of speculation from me cause i can't verify the source.

AV-8Bs do not have that equipment. The only sensors in the wing and in the tail cone are the RWR sensors, which are painted yellow.

Pocket guide has been updated:

Aircraft Limitations Section included. Read this one very carefully to avoid mishaps later.

I mean it. I lost a wing and on another flight lost control for not keeping the aircraft within its operational limits.

ECM Expendables section updated

Edited by Zeus67

Most aircraft did not have MLWS as its a more recent system.

And that is the main reason why the A-10C has it but not the AV-8B.

The Original A-10A does not have it so the A-10 platform only got it through the A-10C upgrade. (With the first A-10C's entering service in 2007).

Where as the AV-8B NA entered service in 1991 so at the time there were most likely no good MLWS systems available.

The AV-8B is also a harder target due to its higher speed etc so it can more easily dodge or stay out of range of IR sams.

So the AV-8B NA had no MLWS system when it was designed because there were no suitable system available and it if it has none today that most likely means they have decided that the need is not great enough to justify the cost of upgrading the aircraft with such systems.

In DCS terms i dont think the lack of a MLWS system will be a big problem (except for pilots who have grown to rely on it to much).

Edited by mattebubben

Prohibited Maneuvers

11. Roll over 360

What does that mean?

Presumably that you shouldn't do multiple continuous axial rolls.

I wonder what gets damaged. And if i really need to do multiple 360 how long until my plane rips apart

It is tied to the oil system. Multiple rolls can strip the bearings from their oil coating and you will have an engine seizure.

It is tied to the oil system. Multiple rolls can strip the bearings from their oil coating and you will have an engine seizure.

Even at a low rollrate? Like 360 in 20 seconds? The centrifugal force should be low enough.

Would be interesting to know why its build like that. Other planes dont have that problem.

Can you show some damage by user like this in the next video if its modeled?

Even at a low rollrate? Like 360 in 20 seconds? The centrifugal force should be low enough.

Would be interesting to know why its build like that. Other planes dont have that problem.

Can you show some damage by user like this in the next video if its modeled?

From the NATOPS section on limitations:

"Flight in less than 1g conditions must not exceed 15 second continuous duration to avoid oil starvation of the engine bearings."

So probably multiple rolls can build up and strip the engine bearings from oil. Notice that a 360 roll is not prohibited, continuous rolls are prohibited.

These maneuvers are not about the airframe but engine control. I am speculating, based on the restriction on less than 1g flights.

These limitations are either already modeled or to be modeled, but in any case they are internal damage that cannot be seen.

Edited by Zeus67

These limitations are either already modeled or to be modeled, but in any case they are internal damage that cannot be seen.

But dry bearing would lead to a engine shutdown or a pretty quick disassembly. (Bearing will get really hot and break. leads to a lot of vibrations and breaking more inside the engine.)

Its funny because the bearings are ok with high rpm from the engineshaft but a bit of rolling will destroy them. :megalol:

edit:

I guess rolling will force the oil out of the bearings in the oil tanks.

Edited by Soundwave197

I guess rolling will force the oil out of the bearings in the oil tanks.

I think that continous rolling CAN force the oil out of the bearings, not that it will always happen.

Pocket Guide has been updated:

Aircraft Limitations charts are included. Check them out carefully to know how far you can maneuver the aircraft.

Loving all the progress on the Pocket Guide, Zeus. It's nice to have something to digest while we wait.

Has a decision been made about whether the targeting pod will be available in early access?

The targeting pod is available, but its functionality is incomplete so at this time it is more of a hindrance than help. We will finish the functionality after early release is out.