AV-8B NA Pocket Guide (WiP)

Zeus67

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While reading the guide i came across the term "witch hat" multiple times. What exactly is that?

The Symbol that looks like this _/\_

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Pocket guide has been updated

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Great guide enjoying the ability of reading ahead.

Quick question, what is the nozzle degree setting for "HOVER STOP"? Nozzle control fully advanced?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Hover stop is 80 degrees nozzle if that was the question?

Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is that 80 degrees is directly down for holding a hover (no wind) but that the nozzles are able to rotate through to 100 degrees or more perhaps.

I was trying to determine if a "Hover Stop" which is noted in the various types of landings (in the pocket guide) is the rotation all the way forward to provide a braking action to assist the wheel brakes. What is that amount of degrees? I imagine there will be some variables but a general idea will do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

HI, from the RL manual below, as I understand , it goes from aligned with engine, to 98.5. However the aircraft is at 6.5 when hovering and the engine another 1.5 from fuselage , so

Vertical (90) is rotating 82 degrees of the nozzle , and it goes up to 98.5 rotation,( therefore inclined 16.5 degrees from vertical) which will be indeed the braking position

When the lever is moved aft to the hover stop the nozzles are set for hovering. The position of this stop gives a fuselage hovering attitude of about 6 1/2°; i.e., the nosewheel slightly higher than the main wheels.The engine datum is at 1.5° to the fuselage datum. The nozzle angle for hovering is therefore 82° from the engine datum. A nozzle braking position, at 98.5° from the engine datum, can be selected by lifting the nozzle lever over the hover stop and pulling it back along a ramp

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

On page 7, I refer to the buttons on the control handle figure 7 designated Emergency SAAHS Disengage, and 8 - Undesignate/NSW Steering. But according to A1-AV8BB-NFM-000, page 2-47 Undesignate/NSW Steering is in the position marked 7 and Emergency SAAHS Disengage at position 8 (not drawn). Sorry for my English)

Mongol-29 [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@gabuzomeu

Thanks for the clarification,"Hover Stop" is vertical (makes sense) and "Nozzle Braking" is a forward angle.

So when doing a Rolling Vertical Landing, Short Landing, Conventional Landing you would use nozzle braking to assist your wheel brakes then when slowed to 60 kmh, nozzle lever back to the hover stop so you don't end up reversing.

Hope we can assign Nozzle stops to keys... (hint, hint)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@gabuzomeu

Thanks for the clarification,"Hover Stop" is vertical (makes sense) and "Nozzle Braking" is a forward angle.

So when doing a Rolling Vertical Landing, Short Landing, Conventional Landing you would use nozzle braking to assist your wheel brakes then when slowed to 60 kmh, nozzle lever back to the hover stop so you don't end up reversing.

Hope we can assign Nozzle stops to keys... (hint, hint)

Actually as far as I've read, there is an adjustable "Stop-Block" with multiple fixed "stops" in the RL Harrier/AV-8.

The pilot preselects a "stop" to prevent the nozzle from accidently being moved beyond the selected setting.

Maybe some ex-Harrier guy can give some more detail.

To me it isn't perfectly clear how, for example the hover stop works when you need the "nozzle braking" to slow the Jet on a carrier approach.

Can you just lift the nozzle lever over the stop-block, beyond the 82° and lift it back into hover-stop?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Not sure on the AV-8B/GR9 version, but on the GR3 and Sea Harrier FRS1 I worked on the lever was called the STO Stop. It had a sprung loaded plunger on it that engaged into holes on the throttle quadrant. You could say set it at 60deg and when you moved the nozzle lever back it would hit the stop giving you 60deg of nozzle without looking at the nozzle lever if that makes sense? Its normal position was fully back, thus giving you full range of movement on the nozzle lever from aft (lever forward) to the braking stop (fully back).

The Sea Harrier also had a toggle switch on top of the throttle lever (similar in operation to the boat switch on the Warthog throttle) which when moved and held forward or back moved the nozzles by 5deg from the set point on the nozzle lever to aid landing on the ship.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

"Snip"

The Sea Harrier also had a toggle switch on top of the throttle lever (similar in operation to the boat switch on the Warthog throttle) which when moved and held forward or back moved the nozzles by 5deg from the set point on the nozzle lever to aid landing on the ship.

That would be pretty handy for little tweaks while hovering, slight movement back and forth. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, so looking at the Pocket Guide there is the STO STOP lever, and it has key binds. Then there is the Hovering Vertical TakeOff Stop (to the back/right of the levers path).

It seems from the looks, this acts as physical reference to the 82° nozzle hover position. So IRL you can leave the STO Stop completely aft, yet the hover stop still would "block" the nozzle lever, until you pull it up and put it into "braking stop" (100°)?

Is that correct?

It does not mention anything related to the "5° adjustment rocker", so I guess it is specific to the Sea Harrier... Would indeed be handy. :D

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ok, so looking at the Pocket Guide there is the STO STOP lever, and it has key binds. Then there is the Hovering Vertical TakeOff Stop (to the back/right of the levers path).

It seems from the looks, this acts as physical reference to the 82° nozzle hover position. So IRL you can leave the STO Stop completely aft, yet the hover stop still would "block" the nozzle lever, until you pull it up and put it into "braking stop" (100°)?

Is that correct?

It does not mention anything related to the "5° adjustment rocker", so I guess it is specific to the Sea Harrier... Would indeed be handy. :D

Yes, you are correct. You had to pull the nozzle lever up then move it back over the gate into the braking position.

I'm not sure how we can simulate this though on our hardware without making something bespoke. A bit like going from normal dry area on a throttle into the reheat range. On a real aircraft there is a mechanical gate to prevent inadvertent reheat selection but on my Warthog I just push it forward enough and it engages reheat......no gate.

Yes the switch on the throttle for the 5 deg nozzle trim was Sea Harrier specific, the GR3 didn't have this.

Edited by bart

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I'm not sure how we can simulate this though on our hardware without making something bespoke. A bit like going from normal dry area on a throttle into the reheat range. On a real aircraft there is a mechanical gate to prevent inadvertent reheat selection but on my Warthog I just push it forward enough and it engages reheat......no gate.

Hmm, one possible "workaround" could be an optional "braking-position-button" that you need to hold, while you want to go beyond hover stop? It would only engage when the lever is in the full back position. As soon as you release it, it would "snap" back into hover position.

Thus you could use the Warthog Idle cutoff "button" or if using another HOTAS any other button on the throttle.

BTW for reheat position the Warthog comes with an optional physical afterburner-detent. You need to remove the cover between the throttles and flip the guide inside. After that you need to "tweak" the axis a bit to match the afterburner-detent position...

Shagrat

Is that correct?

Hmm, one possible "workaround" could be an optional "braking-position-button" that you need to hold, while you want to go beyond hover stop? It would only engage when the lever is in the full back position. As soon as you release it, it would "snap" back into hover position.

Thus you could use the Warthog Idle cutoff "button" or if using another HOTAS any other button on the throttle.

BTW for reheat position the Warthog comes with an optional physical afterburner-detent. You need to remove the cover between the throttles and flip the guide inside. After that you need to "tweak" the axis a bit to match the afterburner-detent position...

It is very hard to code these mechanical locks. The only solution I can think off is to limit the nozzle lever to the HOVER STOP position and then if you want to go higher you must press another key to simulate the"lifting" of the lever so you can go to the full nozzle forward position (98.5º).

It is very hard to code these mechanical locks. The only solution I can think off is to limit the nozzle lever to the HOVER STOP position and then if you want to go higher you must press another key to simulate the"lifting" of the lever so you can go to the full nozzle forward position (98.5º).

Yep, that was the idea.

It should be an option maybe, depending on the customer setup. ("Limit axis to hover stop and use braking stop button").

So you need press AND HOLD the button to lift the lever.

1. It would accommodate the Warthog throttle with the idle detent "button".

2. It can be used with any switches, that stay in position (X-52 slider with button-bands, flip-switches, etc.)

3. It can be used by holding any assigned button for "braking", when you release the button, you are back to hover stop.

Not sure how complicated it is, so just think about it. :)

Shagrat

Yep, that was the idea.

It should be an option maybe, depending on the customer setup. ("Limit axis to hover stop and use braking stop button").

So you need press AND HOLD the button to lift the lever.

1. It would accommodate the Warthog throttle with the idle detent "button".

2. It can be used with any switches, that stay in position (X-52 slider with button-bands, flip-switches, etc.)

3. It can be used by holding any assigned button for "braking", when you release the button, you are back to hover stop.

Not sure how complicated it is, so just think about it. :)

Some good ideas here shagrat.

Another thought is the limiter switch. If you look at the guide you can see that the switch is at the front of the throttle box. Its operated by the small bracket on the bottom of the throttle lever.

On our old Harriers FRS1/GR3 when ground running them we had to be careful not to "trip the limiters", not good for the engine!, and if not careful it was easy to do this. You had to be firm but gentle when slamming the throttle from idle to max, one check we did was to time the accel of the engine which had to be within set limits, both on max bleed (nozzles past 30 deg which pressurised the reaction control ducts and therefore bled a lot of air from the engine LP compressor, left hand on the throttle, right hand on the stop watch, left foot pushing the rudder pedal to full travel and right leg over the stick pushing it fully to the right!! to bleed as much air from the engine as possible through the open reaction control ducts, then slamming the throttle from idle to max and timing the accel on the engine gauges at the same time, whilst being very careful not to trip the limiters!). We also timed it with the nozzles aft which was min bleed.

At the front of the throttle there was a sprung loaded button that acted as the max stop, but if you pushed harder on the throttle you would overcome the spring in the stop allowing the throttle to move forward an extra fraction and trip the limiter switch (flicking it forward) therefore over riding the engine limiters and giving the pilot an extra bit of power to get out of a sticky situation, albeit to the decrement of the engine life.

Obviously there's another control binding issue here as my Warthog hasn't got the sprung loaded button, so when it's at full forward travel that's it. I guess I would have to map the limiter switch to a normal switch on the Warthog throttle and compromise that way. Hopefully I won't find myself in a position to have to trip them very often!!!! biggrin.gif

I'm really looking forward to trying this little jet out!

Edited by bart

Pocket Guide has been updated.