AV-8B NA Pocket Guide (WiP)

Zeus67

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pocket Guide has been updated:

- Warning/Caution/Advisory Lights section included.

- Updated Instruments panel maps.

- AN/ALQ-164 DECM pod section included.

- AN/*AAQ-28 Litening II pod section started (WiP)

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

From the NATOPS section on limitations:

"Flight in less than 1g conditions must not exceed 15 second continuous duration to avoid oil starvation of the engine bearings."

So probably multiple rolls can build up and strip the engine bearings from oil. Notice that a 360 roll is not prohibited, continuous rolls are prohibited.

These maneuvers are not about the airframe but engine control. I am speculating, based on the restriction on less than 1g flights.

These limitations are either already modeled or to be modeled, but in any case they are internal damage that cannot be seen.

hmmm... why would rolling per se equal to flight in less than 1g? does rolling induce forward pitch moment in harrier?

hmmm... why would rolling per se equal to flight in less than 1g? does rolling induce forward pitch moment in harrier?
No, but centrifugal forces and in the upside down part negative 1G minus the centrifugal force.

The engineers and test pilots usually have a good (life saving) reasons, for these limitations.

And when they explicitly say it is because you risk the lubrication, there will be a very real risk this happens.

But as it is a simulation you can test pilot it yourself.

@Zeus67 - is the Martin Baker Ejection Seat functional, already? ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Pocket Guide has been updated:

- Updated Instruments panel maps.

Am I the only one who found the colour illustrations clearer to read/understand ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=170657&stc=1&d=1507900042

AV-8BPocketGuideColourIllistrations_2017-10-13.thumb.jpg.4467a89ade9fb6435ab40d1c81eeba13.jpg

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Printer Friendly Manual

A RL POH has to be printed out and kept with the aircraft, DCS - not so much, however - thanks for the explanation.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

A RL POH has to be printed out and kept with the aircraft, DCS - not so much, however - thanks for the explanation.

Still, many times it is better to have a printed version by your knee as opposed to be searching for a page in the computer screen.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 2 weeks later...

Page 5 - Throttle Quadrant. Below the picture the numbers are starting from 4 to 23. Maybe should be 1 to 20? Good guide btw!

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Page 5 - Throttle Quadrant. Below the picture the numbers are starting from 4 to 23. Maybe should be 1 to 20? Good guide btw!

MS Word error. Fixed.

New update is available folks.

1) According to A1-АВ8BB-TAC-000, page 1-365, paragraph 1.18.1.1 TPOD set on 5; and the pocket guide on page 95 at station 5, 4B and 3, you have new information about this?

2) Pocket guide on page 22, in paragraph passage control nose wheel says:

ATTENTION

The NWS is only engaged as long as the [AG Target Undesignate/NWS/FOV Toggle] HOTAS button remain pressed.

The NWS will disengage as soon as the [AG Target Undesignate/NWS/FOV Toggle] button is released.

And A1-АВ8ВВ-NFM-000 (1 September 2011) page 2-63, paragraph 2.17.3 it is said that thus turns on Hi gain steering?

Question translated from Russian with the help of a web translator, excuse me.

Edited by mongol-29

Mongol-29 [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) According to A1-АВ8BB-TAC-000, page 1-365, paragraph 1.18.1.1 TPOD set on 5; and the pocket guide on page 95 at station 5, 4B and 3, you have new information about this?

Only the first AV-8B NA had that limitation, as the Litening TGP was only recently available and hastily rigged on the pylons that supported MAVs, so the system "thought" the TGP is a Maverick Seeker hat.

Later they adapted the centerline station and upgraded the software, as the asymmetric loadout isn't favorable.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Only the first AV-8B NA had that limitation, as the Litening TGP was only recently available and hastily rigged on the pylons that supported MAVs, so the system "thought" the TGP is a Maverick Seeker hat.

Later they adapted the centerline station and upgraded the software, as the asymmetric loadout isn't favorable.

Indeed, by loading the TPOD in a wing station you also lose the other wing station because you have to load a GBU-12, that won't be used, as a counterweight.

Skimmed the document and it looks very good at this point.

One suggestion (plea) though, PLEASE create the document with a dynamic Table of Contents that will link to the actual paragraph within the body of the document.

Document of any size are very cumbersome to navigate without such a dynamic (linkage) structure.

Thanks and looking forward to the initial release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

I like the colored ones for print out they make it a lot quicker when you skim through it on a server. I have a binder with several modules having Chucks' guides printed out and love them... I feel like I would be cheating on Chuck if I print yours out and add it to that binder so I may just continue studying it and wait for his to print out and add on release, no offense.:thumbup:

Ex Alto Vincimus