Remove the ability of GCI to see missiles

M0ltar

Would it be possible to remove the ability of GCI to see missiles? I understand GCI/AWACS being able to see things like SA300 launches etc as those are the size of telephone poles. However, its seems there is a definite issue with GCI being able to see missiles launched from aircraft.

In most cases, GCI can see missile launches from bandits even when said bandit is unseen and unknown. The missiles just appear out of this air. If the GCI is in contact with the friendly that is being targeted it gives an unfair and frankly unrealistic advantage. On top of being able to see the missile itself, the GCI is also able to see the type, which again is hugely unrealistic.

The ability of GCI to see aircraft missile launches is what is keeping GCI out of the competitive multilayer scene and, imo, out of multilayer servers like 104th. Having a human GCI instead of the AI AWACS is so so much more immersive and it really is sad that we don't get to use it more.

To reiterate, would it be possible to remove the ability of GCI to see aircraft missile launches?

I support this :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

... what about cruise missiles and the like?

Cruise missiles can be shot down by A/A missiles. Therefore, cruise missiles can be seen by radar.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Well if RCS of a missile is detectable at given range, it should be seen. It's better to do it right at the start and not just have it removed for gameplay.

Remember stealth a/c is detectable by GCI and it has lower RCS than a missile.

I think if proper GCI radar update rate would be simulated, it would filter out most of the missiles by itself.

Edited by Vatikus

Pardon me if this deels like a stupid question but what would you use as far as sensors go for a GCI? I didn't think the long-range RADAR sets were able to be manned?

As for seeing missiles, surely it depends on the sensors being employed? EWR for instance.

But in general DCS needs an actual GCI station that can utilise data from other assets. It would be good if we were able to get proper data linking and communications between ground units and if ground units had greater facility for player interaction (like with 'cockpits' for aircraft). The same could be said for ATC

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.