Request: update EDM

Automan

Hi, after reading this thread started by Skatezilla, I realized that an update of the model is required to support the new method PBR with Roughness/metallic materials in DCS 2.1+.

I've done some skins, that should show some fresh paint reflections, but with the specular only I'm getting only wrong behaviour in shadowed parts.

This is the skin with the left fuselage hit by direct sun, and it's ok

P703tef.png

Instead this is the same skin with right fuselage in twilight: the paint show a bad chrome effect.

vCbQ55G.png

The specular should be correct, the Blue Channel is totally black (Dieletric Material) and this should prevent to show chrome effects in conjunction with the Green Channel set to glossy.

At this point the problem are the values stored in JSON...:music_whistling:

So, since the Roughmet method offers more control, I'm asking the Devs to update the EDM to support the Roughmet definition, and get rid of those JSON files;)

Thanks

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Hi, after reading this thread started by Skatezilla, I realized that an update of the model is required to support the new method PBR with Roughness/metallic materials in DCS 2.1+.

I've done some skins, that should show some fresh paint reflections, but with the specular only I'm getting only wrong behaviour in shadowed parts.

This is the skin with the left fuselage hit by direct sun, and it's ok

P703tef.png

Instead this is the same skin with right fuselage in twilight: the paint show a bad chrome effect.

vCbQ55G.png

The specular should be correct, the Blue Channel is totally black (Dieletric Material) and this should prevent to show chrome effects in conjunction with the Green Channel set to glossy.

At this point the problem are the values stored in JSON...:music_whistling:

So, since the Roughmet method offers more control, I'm asking the Devs to update the EDM to support the Roughmet definition, and get rid of those JSON files;)

Thanks

Great skin!

To use native Roughness and metalness maps without shader corrections, do this:

Rename your new specular maps to this: CurrentSpecularName_RoughMet.dds (Current Specular Name is whatever the original specular maps are called)

The Engine will automatically read the RoughMet file instead of the original specular file, and completely ignore the json shader changes.

We cannot make the default speculars into RoughMet maps currently, because PBR is still an option and 1.5 does not use PBR BRDF at all.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

As I said in that thread,

the RGB Values and their Description for Channel Use Applies to a Raw RoughMet Map, and not Speculars that are being Adjusted Via JSON.

As the JSON File can Invert Channels via Constrast and Output.

You can create DIFFUSETEXTURE_RoughMet.dds and use it without over-writing the speculars, which will retain 1.5/PBR Off Speculars.

The EDM itself doesnt need updated, you just need to put the default diffuse textures_roughmet in the /textures/ folder.

the issue is once you enable RoughMet slots w/ the RoughMet maps, all the Livery's will need to be updated as well to use RoughMet Maps by adding the Line for the ROUGHNESS_METALLIC channel to each livery.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

As I said in that thread,

the RGB Values and their Description for Channel Use Applies to a Raw RoughMet Map, and not Speculars that are being Adjusted Via JSON.

As the JSON File can Invert Channels via Constrast and Output.

You can create DIFFUSETEXTURE_RoughMet.dds and use it without over-writing the speculars, which will retain 1.5/PBR Off Speculars.

The EDM itself doesnt need updated, you just need to put the default diffuse textures_roughmet in the /textures/ folder.

the issue is once you enable RoughMet slots w/ the RoughMet maps, all the Livery's will need to be updated as well to use RoughMet Maps by adding the Line for the ROUGHNESS_METALLIC channel to each livery.

Thanks Skate :thumbup:

Great skin!

To use native Roughness and metalness maps without shader corrections, do this:

Rename your new specular maps to this: CurrentSpecularName_RoughMet.dds (Current Specular Name is whatever the original specular maps are called)

The Engine will automatically read the RoughMet file instead of the original specular file, and completely ignore the json shader changes.

We cannot make the default speculars into RoughMet maps currently, because PBR is still an option and 1.5 does not use PBR BRDF at all.

Hi Cobra847, as Skatzilla said, the engine in 1.5 will use specular, while 2.0 branch can take advantage of the roughmet.

After some trial & error, I've reached nice results with the 2 default skins:

bW4hYlO.jpg

WiwqC6t.jpg

If you are interested, I can pass the modify to enable roughmet loading for the skins.

Basically they are 10 textures (DXT-5 256x256, few kbytes), now more like a placeolder, since are not detailed as specular, but this can improve drastically the looking for glossy liveries:

Now the chromed effect is disappeared;)

xtzvw2O.jpg

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

Correct, adding RoughMet maps wont affect 1.5 or Pre PBR 2.0

It will only affect 2.1.1+, the issue is if RoughMet Maps are generated, all the Livery Description LUAs will need to be updated as well to contain both Spec and RouhMet Lines.

HeatBlur Could do it now to get it out of the way, I doubt RoughMet settings will change since it's an Industry Standard.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous post.

Obviously we can master completely new PBR maps which will only be used with Deferred rendering on, but for now, we're using the converter.

A PBR textureset of both the exterior and interior will be mastered later on.

That is why I cannot currently make changes to the default speculars and normals, as they are dual use for now.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Automan: as SkateZilla mentions, you can override the default speculars by simply using your own RoughMet maps.

An easy way to "convert" the current ones is to grab the G channel (glossiness) from the current (Pre-PBR textures) and invert it (this will give you Roughness~)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Yes, what I said is that the engine will not use Roughmet on my skin if the default predefined textureset doesn’t use it.

If the roughmet files are not present on the AJS-37 main Textures folder, my skin cannot use the declared customized roughmet files in their respective liveries folder.

For this reason I have created the roughmet files for the 2 default skin.

Take a look:

http://www.filedropper.com/defaultroughmet

Uncompress in the main AJS-37 folder.

It includes:

-10 textures placeholder 256x256 (they go in the main AJS-37 textures folder)

-description.lua for 37 and BareMetal skin

-custom roughmet for metallic BareMetal skin

-New skin for tank loaded by BareMetal skin

RoughMet Slot isnt Loaded for liveries unless the default Diffuse Textures also have their own RoughMets, so when the Textures Folder is Scanned it enables the slot/texture channel.