DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

-Rahon;3775577']As for me - I'm really curious' date=' how the gonna handle the map case, and will they add mirrors in the pilot cockpit?[/quote']

I'm curious how they gonna model the infamous cockpit fan. Will they model pilot sweating with the fan off? :D

Also, while its warhead is indeed quite meh, and its range is very short, R-60M does have some saving graces too, as being sorta all aspect-ish and very agile, as well as a very short minimum range.

Although I am not sure if R-60s were really used on Mi-24. Would be cool to have if it was a thing for real.

It would have it uses despite its downsides. Against a jet that gets a little too close trying to take you out you might be able to snag against a kill against him. Or if you know where a group of enemy helo's may be, you could always mask behind terrain, wait for them to pass and come up behind and hit them with your missiles. Theres not too many images of the R-60 on a MI-24P, did find this one though.

24APU60.jpg.d383fa7d7c4885415fe9edfb4bbd6db4.jpg

I'm not a rotorhead by any means, but I can be for the hind.

Try to think of a few things that you've never thought of before.

When we talk about the Mi-24 Hind, everybody recognize that this module could become one of the most significant module of DCS...

Don't worry, if we look on the status of this module you will still have plenty of time to think about it... :music_whistling:

Try to think of a few things that you've never thought of before.

Was that your internal thoughts or regarding my post? Please, I need to know if I've said this already and just have the memory of a goldfish :lol:

I'm not usually a rotorhead, but I could be for a hind.

Was that your internal thoughts or regarding my post? Please, I need to know if I've said this already and just have the memory of a goldfish :lol:

I'm not usually a rotorhead, but I could be for a hind.

;) I was simply pointing the fact that the Mi-24 is not only an helicopter... and can open new possibilities even for people who have never thinking on it.

Same for me, a real fan of RW but I could change my mind with the DCS "Reported" F-4 or the 'coming" F-14 :pilotfly:

Don't worry, if we look on the status of this module you will still have plenty of time to think about it... :music_whistling:

How do you know the status of the module ?

The fact that no statements have been made is not evidence one way or the other regarding progress.

If you think back, no one knew the mustang was even in the pipeline until the beta testers were nearly done with it.

Cheers.

;) I was simply pointing the fact that the Mi-24 is not only an helicopter... and can open new possibilities even for people who have never thinking on it.

So, would you like to give us the short version of... What can the Mi-24 do that Mi-8 and Ka-50 can't do already?

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

The fact that no statements have been made is not evidence one way or the other regarding progress.

If you think back, no one knew the mustang was even in the pipeline until the beta testers were nearly done with it.

Given the status of the pilot cockpit 3D mesh, they shown in one of newsletters from January - assuming, it's current level of progress - plus taking into account, that they're propably fucusing allmost exclusively on the F-16 and eventual fixes for the F/A-18, I'd say next year would be pretty optimistic ETA.

So, would you like to give us the short version of... What can the Mi-24 do that Mi-8 and Ka-50 can't do already?

According to Wags' statement - Multicrew.

Plus it's gonna be able to carry a ton of rockets, ATGMs, gunners (possibly) and troops in one go, shall you ever need it to.

Edited by [105]-Rahon

-Rahon;3786269']Given the status of the pilot cockpit 3D mesh' date=' they shown in one of newsletters from January - assuming, it's current level of progress (…) I'd say next year would be pretty optimistic ETA.[/quote']

"assuming, it's current level of progress" but that's all it is, an assumption.

You're assuming that you've been shown everything there is to see.

I have no idea when it will be released, but I don't think your basic assumption is sound.

(Look back and see what development stage the P-51 was at when the community first saw it.)

Cheers.

It's not what the Mi-24 can do compared to the Mi-8 or the Ka-50 or we can see on what can do the F-16 compared to the F-18, the F-14 and even the A-10 :music_whistling:

I was just pointed the fact that the Ka-50, the Mi-8 or others RW will not have the same impact as the Hind or the AH-64, two of the most requested modules...

I have already spent a lot of times on the Ka-50 and I love this combat helicopter but the Mi-24 is for me a complete another story even if they share some similar capabilities...

In fact I am waiting this helicopter since FC3 ! Like other simers are waiting the F-16...

Edited by Razorback

Well ofcourse I'm assuming and what's wrong about it? I mean many things, we take for granted in everyday life are based on an assumption and probability. Like weather forecast for example - we can't predict atmospheric behaviour with 100% accuracy as the atmosphere is far too complex system to be perfectly predictable, so forecasts are either partly based on assumption, that weather patterns will not change for a certain period of time, or on a probability of those conditions changing, based on what was observed in history. For that second option there is another assumption, that whatever occurrence caused those patterns to change in the past, may do so again.

Now where's the Hind in all of this? Firstly - Im not "assuming that I've been shown everything there is to see", but I am actually assuming, that whatever little I've been shown is pretty much up to date level of progress - big difference there. Why I'm assuming, it's up to date? Well, why wouldn't it be? What's the point? Can't think of any other, than April fools joke, and we're still pretty far from 1st of April.

And what were we actually shown? 3D mesh of a single cockpit. No animations, no UV mapping, nor texturing. Based on my own experience with 3D and 2D sim aircraft work back in the day, when polycounts were lower thus making this stuff easier and quicker, I'd say, this cockpit still has quite a long way to go, before it's finished.

This kind of reminds me, when Arneh first shown his Mi-24 cockpit for EECH. That cockpit was already textured and far more finished, than what was given in ED's newsletter and it still took Arneh 9 more months, before it was finally done and released. And yes, you may argue, that this was just a work of one man, in his spare time, so it took more time, than it would for a team of couple people... But then on the other hand - this was EECH, with it's DX7 graphics engine. Arneh had to work with less polycount, smaller textures, no stuff, like normal maps or speculars, plus the cockpit was already far more complete, when it was first shown. Add to that the fact, that a DCS module has to have it's entire functionality programmed from a scratch, while Arneh "only" had to make, texture and animate a single pilot cockpit (he didn't work on the gunners pit), add new landing gear animations and make some tweaks to already existent rudimentary payload profile and flight modell of the aircraft. So based on this I'd argue, that ED is looking at similiar, if not larger ammount of work hours with their Hind. And that's assuming their ex-BST part of the team would focus on Mi-24 exclusively, but we already know, that this particular last assumption is wrong...

So now, that we're through with our basic assumptions, let's talk probabilities. Based on what we know from the past, BST tended to work as ED's subcontractor in some cases - namely the F-15s FM overhaul and co-work on the F/A-18. Now, that we know the Falcon is coming it is probable, that ex-BST team will cooperate on this one aswell, leaving them less time work on Mi-24. Even without the F-16, BST had other modules planned - which is exactly the case, why they wouldn't be able to focus exclusively on the Hind. Although we havent yet seen anything about AH-1F, not knowing, if it is even put to any stage of production at all, according to your own logic, we don't know - it may be very well nearing it's cempletion stage (and keep in mind, BST initialy planned to release AH-1G prior to Mi-24). Now for something, we actually do know something about - F-4E Pahntom II: go now to old BST site and look, how much more complete the Phantom cockpit was back in 2017, than Mi-24 in January 2019 (and we're over a year into future now, while F-4 still isn't released). Here's the link: https://belsimtek.com/news/1792/

Now considering the fact, that all BST gave us past the Mi-8 were jets, because apparently there's more money in them, than there is with whirly birds and demand determines supply, what's the probability that F-4 doesn't have greater priority, than both Mi-24 and AH-1 or that works on F-4 won't impact progress on those two at all? Pretty low, I'd say.

Ofcourse you may argue, that now, once BST is finally incorporated into ED, the team is larger, giving more resources to divide between all those projects, but that's a double-edged sword. The team may be larger, true, but so may be the scope of projects, we know nothing about. Take F-16 and Mi-24 for example. Both first announced 10 years ago. Is it probable, they allso took the third one out of the backburner? It very well may be. Could it allso impact works on Mi-24? Possibly. Add to that the constant workload on fixing or improving current DCS engine and already released modules, as well, as work on other new and unrevealed projects, like new maps, internal comms system etc.

Finally there's probably some kind of publication policy. We are getting some big hits this year - particularly the Tomcat, and pressumably the Falcon. Plus some other major releases, like Farmer and maybe Bronco, since Razbam has been teasing with it so much lately. I don't know, how about the Thunderbolt, but maybe? Anyways thing is not all of these are going to be EDs modules and they all are going to be competing for attention (purchase) from more or less the same audience. It may not be wise to release something - that's so iconic on one hand, but so niche on the other - this year. I mean there have been instances of whole game premiers being pushed from a particular year to the next one for such reasons.

So that's why - taking it all into account - i believe the chance of Mi-24 being released this year are pretty slim. ;)

(Look back and see what development stage the P-51 was at when the community first saw it.)

I'll deal you one better - take a look at P-47. When was it, that we were first shown it's 3D mesh of the cockpit (that was in somewhat similiar stage of development as Hind's pilot cockpit)? And this bird is not released yet, but still "cooking in the oven", so to speak. ;)

I have no idea when it will be released, but I don't think your basic assumption is sound.

Maybe, I mean that's the thing with assumptions - they can always turn-out to be wrong. Like with that weather forcast, that may ruin your summer vacation plans ;) And deep inside I'd LOVE my assumptions on this topic to be wrong, as I'd love to see Hind out ASAP... Today... Now! Besides I'm always happy, whenever something new is being released, wether it is F/A-18 or Cristen Eagle II... F-14 or Yak-52 (I just love that plane), SA342 or the Spitfire. Generally I love to see DCS grow, develop and progress...

But on the other hand, as I said before and gonna say it again - I've been literally waiting for Mi-24 for over a decade now. First I've jumped on the hype-train back in 2008, when ED planned to release Ka-50, AH-64A, then the A-10C, and some time later F-16 and Mi-24. Second time was in 2013 or 2014, when BST was confirmed to be working on it, and there was post by PilotMi8, that the Hind would not be released before 2nd half of 2015. Well, it's 2019 now and I'd rather be suprised in a positive way, than the nagative one... again. ;)

So again - deep inside I'd wish my assumptions not to be sound, but for all the reasons, I gave you above, I actually think, they are.

Edited by [105]-Rahon

No one knows the status of the model. I was just referencing the fact that the Mi-24 is announced since more than 1 year and that noting was announced except the fact that the module is still under development and that we have seen 01 screenshot. And that's a fact !

So we have to wait and I AM ASSUMING that we will probably wait for a few more months...If less than that, it would be great.

So if people are thinking on flying with the Mi-24, they will probably have the time to think about the idea. Nothing more...;)

-Rahon;3786269']Given the status of the pilot cockpit 3D mesh, they shown in one of newsletters from January - assuming, it's current level of progress - plus taking into account, that they're propably fucusing allmost exclusively on the F-16 and eventual fixes for the F/A-18, I'd say next year would be pretty optimistic ETA.

According to Wags' statement - Multicrew.

Plus it's gonna be able to carry a ton of rockets, ATGMs, gunners (possibly) and troops in one go, shall you ever need it to.

+1

I totally agree with you :thumbup:

No comment on your post https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3787236&postcount=429

You're my man !

Edited by Razorback

Les jeux sont faits, rien ne va plus...

All bets are off

:D

Edited by Razorback

Imho mi-24 is on halt due to russian govt "niet".

ED has stated several times that they are not "allowed" to release certain modules, even very old modules not anymore in use by the russian forces i.e. mig23 etc etc......now the mi-24 is still very active in use by the russian aiforce....why should ED be allowed to release the mi24 (still in use) and not some older airplanes (not anymore in use)....there is a little bit of contradiction.

The fact is maybe it was their intention to release it, maybe BST got the license or was waiting for the license, maybe they're still waiting for "Go" from the russian gov. or maybe they are not allowed anymore to do it and therefore they're taking some time before they officialiy admit it.....I mean these are just personal therories which I hope do not go against ED forum policy.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black