DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

According to my calculations it is at 95% of it's current actionable to do list for the item ID#10T

I couldn't resist. News will hit when there is something new to pass along. ED COO, made an interesting comment on a Reddit forum:

1. Hind is in passive development (waiting on a 3d model / resources allocation / current pipeline progress)

2. They had originally planned to deliver it in May 2019.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

They may be wanting to get the Huey's MP cockpit out and perfected before implementation on the hind

It's actually positive news they have a prerequisite item and sounds like Mi-24 will be bumped up in priority once that's done. The module doesn't live in a vacuum but could be relying on some platform upgrade like that. In the end we get more as rotorheads.

Just goes to underline the complexity and extremely long time span of ED's project as a whole. They work slowly with many projects in parallel, very different from many other game developers, even MMO creators facing similar complexities.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

From the Russian forum, it seems that it’s more for backup for the WO to have flight controls, so I’m not sure if they’ll bother enabling that function for the purposes of the sim. I don’t have the Tomcat, can the RIO take over the flight controls ?

Edited by cordite

From the Russian forum, it seems that it’s more for backup for the WO to have flight controls, so I’m not sure if they’ll bother enabling that function for the purposes of the sim. I don’t have the Tomcat, can the RIO take over the flight controls ?

The F-14 RIO doesn't have Flight Controls in Back Seat.

Think it is like in L-39 wher you have to hand over the Flight Controls, that Input will not intefere between two Human Players.

Dont know how many Switches etc. are shared between WSO and Pilot, but hope they dont bother around to long with the Mutli Crew thing.

By the Way did i overlook it but there is no mentioned about MI-24 in that Reddit Post?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

hope they dont bother around to long with the Mutli Crew thing.

Multicrew can be pretty important in multiplayer - it's a key factor in the charm of the F-14 and L-39, and plays a small part even in the Gazelle. If ED manages to up their game in multicrew with Mi-24, several modules down the road will benefit - or even become possible in the first place, in case of some two seaters.

The downside is of course, that yes, it can cause further delay...

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I look at it this way.

December 31st, 2018 (or was it 2017?) , they showed some diagrams, and we've seen some EXTREMLY early cockpit renders.

The standing word from Wags or any other devs is

when we have someething to show, we will show it.

Therefore, the conclusion is that they are about 2,1% complete - and we have to sign our will, to force our granchildren to fly it.

#stillbutthurt

Edited by Grodlund

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

I am not pretty sure, something about Rocket Attack and Safe Formation Flying...

There was also alot of Discussion about how long the Helicopter can Hover for example of Attack, because some American Articel claimed it was not possible for the Hind because of the the wide Wingtips disturb the lift of the Main Rotor and Engines will pretty fast die, 6 Mins of Takeoff Power maximum.

MI-8 Pilot says this is not true, and the Hind can Hover for Hour within safe Parameters, only the Service Life will degrease in Long Terms..

And Discoverd there pretty stunning Video..

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Seen a fair bit of that in a documentary on YT I think - supposedly about the Mi-24 but in the end mostly about the Afghanistan conflict. Won't be hard to find with a quick search, but it was pretty depressing viewing.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Not quite

From Russian forum :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4241126&postcount=2420

Mi-24 scheduled for Autumn 2020...(News from PilotMi8 who is working on the project)...

We have just to cross our fingers...a few more months to wait.

Let's be positive and optimistic :thumbup:

While I do share your enthusiasm towards this aircraft, PilotMi8 DID NOT say Mi-24 is scheduled for Autumn 2020, but loosely mentioned fall 2020 as an response to even a more ambiguous question. You can read the whole discussion to see the context as well.

We know already that ED initially planned Hind EA in 2019, and this was coming from COO. I doubt such a statement would be coming from a team member as an unofficial leak on the official forum.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I am not pretty sure, something about Rocket Attack and Safe Formation Flying...

There was also alot of Discussion about how long the Helicopter can Hover for example of Attack, because some American Articel claimed it was not possible for the Hind because of the the wide Wingtips disturb the lift of the Main Rotor and Engines will pretty fast die, 6 Mins of Takeoff Power maximum.

MI-8 Pilot says this is not true, and the Hind can Hover for Hour within safe Parameters, only the Service Life will degrease in Long Terms..

Load and conditions are important variables for this.

• ED Team
From Russian forum :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4241126&postcount=2420

Mi-24 scheduled for Autumn 2020...(News from PilotMi8 who is working on the project)...

We have just to cross our fingers...a few more months to wait.

Let's be positive and optimistic :thumbup:

Hi all,

while it is not unusual for dev's to post with estimates, it is best to wait for official news in the newsletter for dates and timelines.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
Multicrew can be pretty important in multiplayer - it's a key factor in the charm of the F-14 and L-39, and plays a small part even in the Gazelle.

Multicrew is great in F-14 because WSO performs everything else than flying and close combat, and in visual range WSO job is to check six. So you have plenty to do with both players.

L-39 is not great Co-Op aircraft. You literally can't do anything with the other pilot in it that other can't do.

That is same with all other multi-crew aircrafts, you need to have something to do for the co-pilot than just navigation and some other small task.

That is why Ka-50 is so great module as you are completely in control, individual with all the time something to do as you like it.

And why I like the idea to bring the Mi-24P for singleplayer in mind (their main customer base), I still would liked more Mi-24V or even more Mi-24VP that would have given the traditional weapon for a co-pilot/AI to be used, other than just ATGM's.

And in Gazelle the Co-Pilot is in very important role in AT tasking, and that is again something great how the autopilot works in it so that you can even alone fly it, park it to hover and then get to shoot with it as gunner. While in Co-Piloting it is totally amazing thing to be on the move and be more flexible that way, but so in cannon/mistral version.

That is what makes Mi-24 so interesting platform, that I truly hope that ED will seriously utilize the potential in it by making few different variants from it!

Mi-24P first

Mi-24V second

Mi-24VP third

Is there a lot of changes required to be done between those for flight modeling? I don't think so (I don't now straight away remember did the anti-torque rotor blade side switch between those or not but I don't even remember does DCS simulate its airflow at all, IIRC as that is one of the big mysteries even in the real helicopter industry, that goes more around "trial and error" in practice than through calculations and simulations.)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Only 25 units of Mi-24VP was made, according to Wikipedia.

Maybe not the most well-known variant?

Maybe VM or VN would be better?

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian