2 Installs on different Win user accounts

madcatohio

I have a new roommate and he has his own DCS world Account and modules. I have My own account and modules. We plan on using 1 pc till he can get one of his own. Will 2 windows user accounts separate our modules/key binding or will they be on both installs?

He has some modules i don't want on my install. I'm planning on him installing his game via steam on a separate disk (so even the install is different, way he can install mods and not affect mine).

It's been ages since I used dual account on one system, but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's still one system with one registry, ain't it? In that case I'd presume your idea won't work, as DCS stores license keys for modules in the Windows registry, so once you install yours and the keys are stored, where will his go?

I guess dual boot with two separate systems would solve this problem, then.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It's been ages since I used dual account on one system, but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's still one system with one registry, ain't it? In that case I'd presume your idea won't work, as DCS stores license keys for modules in the Windows registry, so once you install yours and the keys are stored, where will his go?

Depends how the reg entries for the keys are stored.

You can store them for the system (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) OR on a per user basis (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) under windows.

Looking at my registry, ED and everyone else have all their stuff stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, so most of it should be all ok.

There's one problem with LN's Mig 21 though, as that's stored under HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, so you're bound to get conflicts on that mod.

Edited by Buzzles

There's one problem with LN's Mig 21 though, as that's stored under HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, so you're bound to get conflicts on that mod.

Well I have the Mig21, So if it messes him up, that's his problem :music_whistling:.

I'm deleting his crap once he gets his computer. Biggest problem is I got FC3 and he has the F15 only. Then his gazelle and wwii planes would be a secondary problem for me. I just don't want any extra stuff left over that i don't plan to get with less work on me as possible (HD space is HD space, no matter how small it is).