NPP Course in Nevada

mx22

I'm a relative novice in Mig-21 so perhaps I'm missing a step or doing something wrong here. Quick Mission Free Flight, attempting to do a box landing in Nellis AFB. When I set NPP course to 209 (which is the runway landing course), it's actually misaligned by around 10 degrees and I need to set it to 219 degrees to align with the runway. It is almost as if NPP needs to be set for proper magnetic declamation for Nevada. Can someone shed a light on what I'm missing/not doing or is it a bug?

Thanks!

It's been around and discussed for quite some time. I'm still searching for a definitive answer on which is right, true or magnetic on the MiG-21bis, specifically.

Viper, a sim enthusiast that I have a lot of respect for through these forums, had this quip that leads me to believe it's true. However, I do not know his references:

Yes it's aligning to True North, typical of Russian aircraft. You're doing nothing wrong :)

Full thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=131025

Conversely, the following answer came from some educated pilots indicating magnetic, but I cannot guarantee their knowledge of this specific Russian aircraft.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-all-the-controls-in-a-fighter-jets-cockpit-do

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

There's a dial in an avionics bay (or in other models the cockpit itself) that determines the correction applied to the magnetoflux sensor data from the wing to the heading gyro system. If you set the dial to 0 then magnetic is what is displayed on the instrument. If set to the local variation then the magnetic compass information is biased back to true.

It works just like the L-39.