You must buy an Oculus

spike2450

Just got back into DCS after a few years out and have the Hotas remembered, just flown the first mission Csar and omg I came off there sweating, it is so intense flying amongst the steep hills and avoiding the air defences.

You have to try the Oculus it is unbelievable and so realistic, got shot down by a Zsu and tensed up like f#$@ just as I hit the mountain and not quick enough to eject. Next best thing to actually flying the beast in real life.

You won't be disappointed. :):)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The technology is still immature, when we'll have resolved the nausea and resolution will reach 4k per eye thanks to more powerful hardware then I think buying will be indispensable.

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

I agree with the post above. Although a remarkable departure from a monitor, VR is not quite there yet. Even with all its supporters, even THEY are always talking about how to overcome the issues current VR HMD's have. If that doesn't throw up the red flag, nothing will. I do believe I will stay with my tried and true approach....ie: Be very leery of first generation technology. Patience will reward you.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Let alone using the mouse and so on in real life...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

certamente...but it`s still better immersion than anything else atm! I cannot go back to TrackIR lol

+1 got my Oculus in June, haven't flown once without it since then.

• Like 1

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

I figure with the Rift I'm getting a good 12-18 months of pleasure before the next gen comes. Well worth it!

Since I've had the Rift, I have not flown 2D at all. I can't, it just ain't the same. The immersion is so worth it.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

What ... there are still people using a monitor and TrackIR?

VR is mind-blowing, the future, and a incredible advancement for our hobby. The Oculus Rift and DCS is an incredible experience. After 15 months, I still get that amazing feeling when I go flying in DCS. It is so close to real-life flying.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was ready to pull the trigger on VIVE, but after I did some more research, i decided to wait

Because of the poor IQ

It's very hard for me to imagine how everything looks like, with VIVE

Can you see the trees, mountains, buildings, from 4-5 km?

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I'll stick to my TrackIR thanks. Covering my eyes completely negates plans for my flight rig and my existing controllers

Saitek X-52 | Track IR 5 w/ TrackClip | DSD "Trackzilla" Button Box

Flaming Cliffs 3 | F-5e | Mirage 2000 | A-10c | Harrier AV-8B

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You must buy an Oculus

I'll stick to my TrackIR thanks. Covering my eyes completely negates plans for my flight rig and my existing controllers

That's all well and good, but even the sickest of flight rigs/pits with TrackIR doesn't even come close to the immersion and experience that VR provides.

Just my $0.02, I'm sure you and plenty of others would value having a physical pit more...I just can't comprehend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

You would be amazed at how much muscle memory kicks in if you actually have a setup that is fairly static. I can use my Hotas, G13, and 2 to 3 mfds(Prepping for F/A-18 release) and a secondary mouse all without needing to see any of them, my body and hands know where they are. And with VA, it covers any other commands that a kb could be needed for other than typing in chat. And still about to add a DSD button box to the mix for the rotaries. No fear not being able to see them. I will know where they are, very quickly.

I use more controllers than my friends who use tir still use..lol.

I got my Rift on Jan 15th , and have not looked back.

It is so incredible and I get that "wow" factor every time I load up a flight.

I tried flying on my monitor once a few months ago, and it was so boring I could not do it. Have not gamed on the monitor since. And I now spend way more time flying than I did before getting the Rift.

For me at least, the immersion far outweighs the negatives. I too look forward to what the next generation of VR brings, in the meantime I am enjoying the heck out of my Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The technology is still immature, when we'll have resolved the nausea and resolution will reach 4k per eye thanks to more powerful hardware then I think buying will be indispensable.

This is the thing.

VR will be the thing in the future, it just ain't there yet.

4K per eye and increase FOV so we get 100-120 degree horizontal instead current 60-66 degree (88x66 degree by horizon and vertical, total 110 degree diagonal) as it would mean we have then 120 horizontal, 90 vertical and 150 diagonal. That might even require a 5-6K per eye so we can see sharp enough smaller details like cockpit instruments and ground/air targets.

But it don't come until we get huge massive boost to GPU processing, even the foveon rendering can't help there enough.

But VR might very well die before that, as simulators are not the driving force but FPS, RTS and RPG games are the thing that need to push reason to buy these devices, and they need to run well with average computer (4-core about 3.5Ghz, GTX 750 level card and 8GB RAM) to really get sales going.

Now?

When you want to be on the bleeding edge (and bleed blood/money).

The another sad thing is with HMD we lose capability to do markings on the actual kneeboard or run checklists and other documents while flying.

But wait 3-5 years and it will come at this development speed.... But it requires we buy NOW those devices so market would flourish...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I was ready to pull the trigger on VIVE, but after I did some more research, i decided to wait

Because of the poor IQ

It's very hard for me to imagine how everything looks like, with VIVE

Can you see the trees, mountains, buildings, from 4-5 km?

You can see trees and all 3D models, but problem is that you can't see all of them clearly. As it is very dependent of the 3D model shape.

Like few weeks ago a first timer got his first VR experience. He couldn't even spot a white normal railway bridge from L-39 from about 2-3km distance. And I mean bridges of these:

dcsworld02b.png

It was just too difficult to identify them among all the buildings around.

Then we did a test and sent him to Zugdidi where there are long bridges over wide river and the average distance to spot the bridge that goes over was just abysmal. He looked and looked to the general direction as you could speak, giving the guiding from general terrain and he got the general direction but just couldn't spot it. And he felt like being totally incapable to fly when he didn't see the landmarks in standard DCS weather conditions.

Then we did anti-ship tests in Su-25 and he could spot a carrier from about 15km distance on sea, but he said it was so faint couple pixels that even with all the smoke the RWR was only real indicator where the target was up to the point that missiles started to hit.

But that wasn't a main problem, as he only confirmed what we all already knew, that you can't even make out of the cockpit instruments so easily that you could study and learn to fly. L-39 was easiest by the instruments, but then even the Su-25A became difficult to navigate as HSI was very difficult to read.

HSI.jpg

Nevertheless, he said that experience of flying at low level and doing the maneuvers were super easy and immersive, but totally disliked about incapability to operate his favorite Su-25A aircraft because incapability to spot the ground and sea targets well enough, as to even make out when did he have a gun enabled or how much did he have ammunition left was too difficult to see.

SU-25A_DevrimENGcockpit-1.jpg

Once your impression level wears off, the VR problems in current quality level just gets too high to be able enjoy from flying. I do wish to see that once the F/A-18C gets out and we get it, how does people get going on learning to use it with just a VR, or do they just reverse back to 2D for a easier learning and study experience like already with A-10C and others.

I so totally love to fly KA-50 with VR, but reason for that as well is that I know 95% of it by my heart and have all binded to the HOTAS so I don't need to even look the cockpit instruments so much to operate it. That level of familiarity is that makes it possible to enjoy from it as anyways the targets are either a less than 1km from me when using monocle to shoot cannon, or then TV monitor is the main targeting system. Tried to take a Gazelle out after long time for VR test and I didn't remember anything about it, so it was impossible to fly as I couldn't read anything in the cockpit without serious leaning forward and trying to get as close as possible to read label and instruments and having a tablet with checklists was no use as you have a HMD.

VR is like owning a Smart Fortwo and you need to make a serious compromises where you go and with what a you can't get everyone and everything fitting inside.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Agree with the OP, you definitely feel there's much more at stake in VR.

It's a shame that the resolution is so crappy, but should we let that stop us from enjoying VR now while we wait for technology to improve? NO! :)

It's especially great for WWII and helicopter sims, and simply *exceptional* for racing sims.

However, for modern jet sims where much of the workload is inside the cockpit with avionics, I can totally understand that people might prefer a sharp monitor and TrackIR.

I have a 32" 1080p monitor, track IR5, i7-7700K liquid cooled, 32GB, GTX 1080TI, win 10 and can play with every graphic totally maxed out. I then erringly bought an Oculus Rift CV1 before reading all the negative comments from those players who don't own one and about their "experiences" with the bad visibility, the immature technology, the statements that VR just isn't there yet, the nausea, having to adjust the graphic settings etc. etc.

Somehow I found those statements just don't hold water and I only use the monitor now to read my mail and never-ever fly without using the Oculus. IT IS JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really looking forward to the same sort of knowing comments, after 4K, 5K or 8K headsets become available, but somehow I will just probably go ahead and buy one anyway. This in spite of all the comments from NON-USERS telling me how bad the experience is going to be.

Edited by fiddlinjim

I have a 32" 1080p monitor, track IR5, i7-7700K liquid cooled, 32GB, GTX 1080TI, win 10 and can play with every graphic totally maxed out. I then erringly bought an Oculus Rift CV1 before reading all the negative comments from those players who don't own one and about their "experiences" with the bad visibility, the immature technology, the statements that VR just isn't there yet, the nausea, having to adjust the graphic settings etc. etc.

Somehow I found those statements just don't hold water and I only use the monitor now to read my mail and never-ever fly without using the Oculus. IT IS JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really looking forward to the same sort of knowing comments, after 4K, 5K or 8K headsets become available, but somehow I will just probably go ahead and buy one anyway. This in spite of all the comments from NON-USERS telling me how bad the experience is going to be.

:thumbup:

It is awesome ain't it!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Congrats! I have CV1. To come clean, in the beginning I was put off about the low resolution but still I needed to try it. So I read post after post and what got me was the comment

"But your just missing out on a great experience."

So with that comment I got the cv1 knowing what to except.. I tried once to go back to monitors. And it was a fail I can't do it.If the game was design with vr in mind it displays alot better on a vr HMD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]