You must buy an Oculus

spike2450

i still remember my first time going triple screen... fiddling with the SoftTH hacks lol.

i have a 1080Ti on the way.

upgrading from a 1080.

due to all the updates with DCS, i havent played with dcs in VR before the whole gamma slider stuff. i look forward to the improvments

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really am still not sure about it. I was about to pull the trigger during the Oculus sale this summer until i actually tried the HTC Vive at comiccon... Unfortunately - for me - it was a HUGE let down. I just could not get past the poor resolution.

While I agree many would be able to get beyond resolution in favor of the immersion, I am now finding that I am VERY much recommending folks go try a VIve at a local BestBuy or VR arcade before they buy. I'm pretty sure there is some serious individualization where some will love the immersion and others will have immersion seriously negativley impacted with the poor resolution.

I, for one, feel like i just saved about $800 canadian and I'm happy i did.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

VR definitely isn't good enough yet. BUT I highly recommend buying and not buying VR yet, as its very likely to spoil your monitor/TrackIR experience. You may be stuck in no mans land, where neither experience is good enough. That said, most VR users find the experience immersive enough to tough it thru its down sides. FOV, Resolution, and Frame Rates are still issues. Not seeing your controls is a short lived issue for most users, as people quickly get passed it. Next generation VR should improve many of VR's current issues.

While I was waiting for my new hi-end desktop to arrive I decided to try a demo of the Oculus Rift. I drove 10 miles to a Microsoft Store and waited 30 minutes to get a trial. The demo was terrible, it was grainy with an obvious screen door effect and my reaction was "No Way, am I buying one of these things".

My new desktop rig arrived and in the meantime I kept reading about the immersive effect of the Rift and the raves from owners, so I made up my mind to pop for one. I decided to buy from Amazon because if it was as bad as the nay-sayers said it was and as bad as my first experience, then I could send it back.

Was I ever pleasantly surprised, I didn't find it grainy, I could easily read the cockpit gauges and it was truly immersive. Granted it isn't as crystal clear as my monitor and it does take a powerful rig to get the most out of it, but 2d is a thing of the past for me.

I have demoed my Oculus numerous times and the typical comments are:

"WOW, it's just like being in a real plane", "OMG, this is unbelievable", "I can't believe how real it is", "Man, I gotta get one of these". Never a comment about a screen door effect, or blurry, or seeing the pixels. I am also looking forward for an 8K from Pimax in 2018.

I know what you mean, I still have that same Wow factor I had when I first strapped it on back in Jan!

For me it is all about the immersion, absolutely incredible and I have not gamed on my monitor since.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The benefits of the current Rift definitely out way the cons.

I tried playing on my Ultra-wide with Track-IR last month just to test out a mission I created (running the mission creator in 2D mode) and I couldn't believe how hard it was to fly that way. Someone a page or 2 back thought VR users might switch back to a monitor to learn the F-18 but I say no way. Much easier to learn everything in VR. I have no issues flying the A-10C in VR so the F-18 will be no different.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll stick to my TrackIR thanks. Covering my eyes completely negates plans for my flight rig and my existing controllers

Physical switches and VR work very well. If that's your main concern, I wouldn't worry too much. After all, you don't stare at your keyboard when you type, do you?

And one could argue that you'd be *opening* your eyes to the world of immersion! :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

CV1 or your world is Flat:megalol::music_whistling::smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Physical switches and VR work very well. If that's your main concern, I wouldn't worry too much. After all, you don't stare at your keyboard when you type, do you?

And one could argue that you'd be *opening* your eyes to the world of immersion! :D

THIS. Some people won't believe no matter what you tell them. They will use the bad resolution or the motion sickness excuse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But it shouldn't last too long if you take small steps to begin with. i can fly for hours now without any issues

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

But it shouldn't last too long if you take small steps to begin with. i can fly for hours now without any issues

True it will soon pass and as others have said the VR immersion is worth it. to quote from MATRIX.

"Your mind makes it real." :D :thumbup:

Although I tried 2D recently and it looked pretty but it felt awful. :cry:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Literally within 5 minutes of flying in DCS with the Rift I'd decided I was selling my TrackIR 4. I never even tried going back to see how crap it was.

I certainly wouldn't go to the extreme to say 'your mind makes it real' v- that's just silly. It just puts into a position where your head movement mimic what you would do in RL and that's the immersion factor more than graphical factor (although Mustang's and Starway's Caucasus maps are a massive difference over the stock ones).

There are several steps we need to get to before VR really comes natural and in my opinion the order should be (for a headset) 180 degree FOV, foveated rendering then higher resolution. Wireless tech I suppose would be handy for some games but not so much DCS/ racing games. And if good hand tracked haptic feedback vr gloves come soon then brilliant.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Same here, put my TrackIR for sale on eBay that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I switch between using my Rift and TrackIR. I enjoy flying in VR. I wear progressive glasses, and they are a pain to wear with the Rift, so I don't wear them. The instruments are a bit blurry when I'm not wearing them, so the low res doesn't bother me much. I use the Rift when I want immersion, and TrackIR when I want eye candy. I've never experienced motion sickness either in VR or in real life (except when I flew in the back seat of an F-4J Phantom in the U.S.M.C. to check out a hydraulics issue and the pilot wanted to make me sick).

Bottom line is that both systems have their places, and are individual choices. No need for snobbery.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I agree with the post above. Although a remarkable departure from a monitor, VR is not quite there yet. Even with all its supporters, even THEY are always talking about how to overcome the issues current VR HMD's have. If that doesn't throw up the red flag, nothing will. I do believe I will stay with my tried and true approach....ie: Be very leery of first generation technology. Patience will reward you.

we should not discourage the early adopters; without them, there would never be the mature technology everybody can afford!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I switch between using my Rift and TrackIR. I enjoy flying in VR. I wear progressive glasses, and they are a pain to wear with the Rift, so I don't wear them. The instruments are a bit blurry when I'm not wearing them, so the low res doesn't bother me much. I use the Rift when I want immersion, and TrackIR when I want eye candy. I've never experienced motion sickness either in VR or in real life (except when I flew in the back seat of an F-4J Phantom in the U.S.M.C. to check out a hydraulics issue and the pilot wanted to make me sick).

Bottom line is that both systems have their places, and are individual choices. No need for snobbery.

I got contact lenses exclusively to fly in VR :)

Patrick

mini.gif

I was away from the rift for four weeks due to circumstance, and got back into it last night. It wasn't nearly as blurry as I remembered, I was astonished at how sharp the picture was!

I suspect the rift wasn't sitting properly on by head before, and after adjusting the straps I get a much clearer picture.

Dammit, I could live in that thing if I didn't have to work, eat, shower,......!

I was away from the rift for four weeks due to circumstance, and got back into it last night. It wasn't nearly as blurry as I remembered, I was astonished at how sharp the picture was!

I suspect the rift wasn't sitting properly on by head before, and after adjusting the straps I get a much clearer picture.

Dammit, I could live in that thing if I didn't have to work, eat, shower,......!

:thumbup:

Yep adjusting the device for optimum viewing is very important, as the Rift does have a somewhat narrow sweet spot. Also adjusting the IDP for optimum is as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The motion sickness is real and and people who don't suffer are lucky, but they have no right to insult those who suffers. I have been using the cv1 for many months now and the nausea is almost gone, but I always suffer a little during medium/long sessions. No one contests the exceptional immersion, but for example with the A-10c reading and using the avionics is difficult, especially the side panels.

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S