You must buy an Oculus

spike2450

Oculus should really promote the Buttkicker as a way to alleviate motion sickness. I can't overstate just how much this helps!

3 hours of intense Dirt Rally last night and not a flicker of discomfort. ;) Without BK I'd be filling airsick bags after the first hour.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, Dirt Rally was the one game game that I really did feel sick with. I won't go back to it either. Funny thing is I have no problems with Assetto Corsa!! I had a Buttkicker at one point as well but got rid of it when I bought my Jetseat - which I prefer.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I'm having withdrawal symptoms from my rift, well simming in general actually, I lost my game room to the new baby in May. New house next week tho :) I agree that complex aircraft like the A10 are tricky to read the instruments. Rift is also very poorly implemented in the civvy sims like fsx p3d and trying to fly anything with complicated avionics sucks. although I cant wait to try xplane11. Rift is awesome for simple seat of the pants flying like the Huey, I never get nausea except that one time where I entered vortex ring state and dropped like a stone, my stomach fair lurched!

@Mango You're right, it was because when you do jumps in a rally car the nausea comes from the horizon heaving (pretty much what I was doing lol) probably and that can't be controlled u like when you're stuck to the tarmac or in an aircraft you can predict what will happen.

@Pixelpilot Yeah my first time flying the Huey in vr was the same, flying down The Strip and lost it due to vrs - it really was an unpleasant feeling. I still remember it. Lol. I don't get that anymore thankfully. Now I said earlier that I didn't believe it tricks your brain into thinking it's real - but the first couple of times...... may it does and that's why you lurch!!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

While I understand and agreed with many of the complaints about the current gen VR - graphics sucking compared to my ROG Swift monitors, not being able to see your KB or controls, not being able to see behind yourself easily due to the FOV limit of the device and being physically impossible to turn around in a chair completely - all that said, VR for single player is by far more immersive and enjoyable for me.

PvP online, easy to get smoked by an equal skill opponent due to the limitations of VR to TrackIR for keeping track of things behind your 45 cone of vulnerability.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

@Mango You're right, it was because when you do jumps in a rally car the nausea comes from the horizon heaving (pretty much what I was doing lol) probably and that can't be controlled u like when you're stuck to the tarmac or in an aircraft you can predict what will happen.

@Pixelpilot Yeah my first time flying the Huey in vr was the same, flying down The Strip and lost it due to vrs - it really was an unpleasant feeling. I still remember it. Lol. I don't get that anymore thankfully. Now I said earlier that I didn't believe it tricks your brain into thinking it's real - but the first couple of times...... may it does and that's why you lurch!!

Get in the Huey and race the Nascars on the NTTR map. It's a blast!
Now that does sound interesting! I'm gonna have to try it... :music_whistling::thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I wouldn't say Oculus is a "must buy", but if you have stuff like a Warthog HOTAS, then the $400 summer sale is a very affordable price. In the case of DCS World, I think the Rift shines best when flying helicopters. The FOV is critical to the ability to fly a helo, i.e. being able to see the instruments and the ground at the same time while looking down in the UH-1. You can really see and "feel" the relative motion so much better.

But I still think the resolution is far too low to use for complete combat missions in fighters, especially jets. The only sim I really use with VR is Aces High, and that only works because I use icons. Fly VR for a few days, then go back to a 46-inch 1080p 2D monitor with maxed out visual quality. As much as I love the 1:1 head tracking and FOV of the Oculus Rift, I still prefer the graphics quality of a large 2D screen and would gladly trade my Rift for a 60-inch 4K monitor since I already have a 1080 GPU.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy moly, that does sound like fun!

It is fun but the cars cheat and disappear as you overtake them sometimes. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Fly VR for a few days, then go back to a 46-inch 1080p 2D monitor with maxed out visual quality. As much as I love the 1:1 head tracking and FOV of the Oculus Rift, I still prefer the graphics quality of a large 2D screen and would gladly trade my Rift for a 60-inch 4K monitor since I already have a 1080 GPU.

46-inch monitor are you talking about a TV ?

Really can't understand any negative comments, the experience is amazing. If anyone in the UK wants to pop to Falmouth to try it then you would be welcome.

Low resolution, high system requirements, difficulty spotting targets, inability to read fine details in the cockpit, not being able to see your keyboard or your HOTAS... yeah, I wonder why there are negative comments! :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Low resolution, high system requirements, difficulty spotting targets, inability to read fine details in the cockpit, not being able to see your keyboard or your HOTAS... yeah, I wonder why there are negative comments! :doh:

Forest Trees...to each his own. Some like playing games, some like immersion, some like 4K, others like VR. Some only see the limitations, others see transformational device. No right answers, just opinions.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

But I still think the resolution is far too low to use for complete combat missions in fighters, especially jets. The only sim I really use with VR is Aces High, and that only works because I use icons. Fly VR for a few days,

Actually, in IL-2 BoX I can maintain visual contact with the target during dogfight quite easily without icons, but the sim has better visibility in general. I agree that in DCS this is bad.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Forest Trees...to each his own. Some like playing games, some like immersion, some like 4K, others like VR. Some only see the limitations, others see transformational device. No right answers, just opinions.

I think the benefits of VR will outweigh the negatives once the screen resolution improves and computers become powerful enough to handle it.

Until then, the people who use VR right now are fooling themselves into thinking that VR right now is superior to traditional displays enough to use VR exclusively.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the benefits of VR will outweigh the negatives once the screen resolution improves and computers become powerful enough to handle it.

Until then, the people who use VR right now are fooling themselves into thinking that VR right now is superior to traditional displays enough to use VR exclusively.

Well that may be and if so I am very glad I am fooling myself!

:smilewink:

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It's not even close enough to debate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Well that may be and if so I am very glad I am fooling myself!

:smilewink:

Amen bro!

I'm in ignorant bliss!! :lol:;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Interesting you say "Some like playing games" as DCS is a game and it is supposed to be a fun experience. How many wants to experience the G forces when flying in DCS? Without you don't have the immersion.

How about having inability to respawn in multiplayer without serious penalty, like 1-2 week locked from the server? That would be more immersive as you would really cherish your virtual life!

Some finds the VR experience lacking, some just enjoy when they can sit in the cockpit, without seeing anything.

Yeah, just opinions... But the right answer is, VR even in its current fifth generation just ain't prime ready (or DCS ain't ready for it). Getting close, going to be there, but wait few years.

Running DCS in full details in 4K at over 150 FPS is one thing, but when the same system drops to under 20-30-45 with a VR in minimal settings, it ain't fun!

Fun to go for "immersion" when having some units in map somewhere will make your computer to crawl.

At some point the "immersion" will vanish and you just want to get the experience and enjoyment from actually flying, operating the aircraft, seeing the targets... Instead being "immersed" by the distances and speed.

If DCS would give the 90 FPS in VR with full details and by average computer (4-core at 4Ghz, 8GB RAM and GTX750 level card) then it would be great!

If DCS would allow to have hundreds of ground units without CPU dying and without silly scripting to activate and deactivate everything, it would be great!

If DCS would remodel and retexture the cockpits to be clear and nicely readable with current VR panels... Even better!

Or if even VR would allow a SLI setups with a own card for own panel... Could help a lot!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That is so right.

Once we get about a 4K (in this case 3840x1440 or full 4K 3840x2160) per eye and we get the FOV increased in width so it is about 1.5-2x from the current one (the vertical FOV ain't such a problem) and even then 3D models are redesigned to have better optimization with larger elements to VR use. Then we can almost forget the 2D displays once the average hardware can run all that nicely.

Then we can say more that VR is truly better and worth its use. Now it is even so dislikeful to be required turn head around so much as the FOV is so narrow and it feels like looking all through diving glass.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Crap is getting deep in here. Where are my Virtual Waders...

I run a 65” 4k which is stunning. But I prefer the rift for flying.

You nay sayers can say what you want...those that enjoy flying in VR have their reasons of why they do. Repeating the difference over and over is not going to change anyones mind.

No matter the state of the tech or the support of the sim its just the difference of feeling it and not.

When was the last time on a flat screen did you reach out to rest your hand on the canopy frame? I’ll hazard a guess at Never!

Edited by MegOhm_SD
  • Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Crap is getting deep in here... where are my Virtual Waders...

I run a 65” 4k which is stunning. But I prefer the rift for flying.

You nay sayers can say what you want...those that enjoy flying in VR have their reasons of why they do. Repeating the difference over and over is not going to change anyones mind.

No matter the state of the tech or the support of the sim its just the diffence of feeling it and not.

When was the last time on a flat screen did you reach out to rest your hand on the canopy frame? I’ll hazard a guess at Never!

The other day I was flying about in the Mi-8. I live in AZ, so things are still a little warm here. ;) I actually reached with my hand to try and turn on the cockpit cooling fan that's in front of the pilot seat. Man, I had to chuckle on that one!

I usually keep my ceiling fan running when I fly VR. When I taxi with an open cockpit, it gives me a sense of the wind blowing through my locks... (well, years ago I had plenty of locks).

I just need to find a flying scarf... :thumbup: