VR and hardware control scheme and setup ideas

hannibal

So I have thrustmaster hotas, combat pedals, a button box on the side with knobs switches pots and rotary encoders all neatly integrated on a office chair.

It works great for FC3 modules, but I am reluctant to fly involved planes like the A10C.

I have the thrustmaster mfd's which I'm planning to setup to have in front of me..as if in the same space in the virtual cockpit.

For those who is able to fly in A10C in VR.. I like to ask what controls do u have? What kind of mouse do you use? Maybe your using a trackball? Please share, for I like to setup my controllers to fly more efficiently when it comes to the A10C..so at some point it will help me with the upcoming FA18C.

Photos appreciated, thankful for any suggestions!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Which Thrustmaster HOTAS do you have? If it's the Warthog you will have no problem.

Almost everything you need to do in the A-10C is on the HOTAS. If you have a HOTAS with less buttons it may be more of a problem. I use a X-65F but it has all the same buttons and placement as the Worthog and I have no issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

picture.php?albumid=1351&pictureid=9229

I find it works pretty well with VR since there is a nose gap, and I can see anything below the monitor. The mouse is next to my right knee - easy to access. Also, I often move cursor with my head and have 2 hotas buttons assigned for left/right mouse clicks.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

i was hoping to get immersed into the A10C sim though the campaigns,

obviously i dont have an A10 simpit, so seems like mouse is necessary in order to flip switches and turn dials.

i just have to find solution to mounting a mouse.. i really dont have space to mount a mini table because i have an ejection seat handle along with a button box on my right arm area.

i have to look into mounting a track ball, or a solution that doesnt require a small table for a mouse.

i wish leap motion worked for DCS!

picture.php?albumid=1351&pictureid=9229

I find it works pretty well with VR since there is a nose gap, and I can see anything below the monitor. The mouse is next to my right knee - easy to access. Also, I often move cursor with my head and have 2 hotas buttons assigned for left/right mouse clicks.

you are saying that you can flythe A10C, and operate all its systems without the mouse?

this is what i am needing to know more of.

Which Thrustmaster HOTAS do you have? If it's the Warthog you will have no problem.

Almost everything you need to do in the A-10C is on the HOTAS. If you have a HOTAS with less buttons it may be more of a problem. I use a X-65F but it has all the same buttons and placement as the Worthog and I have no issues.

what do you do to subsititue mouse functions?

leap motion is so fruity, i tried it on my non-VR PC.

seems to work ok in standard desktop mode but i am not sold on the vr headset mode (me simulating it by placing it on my head and seeing the results on the visiualizer)

doesnt help that not many ppl on youtube are sharing experiences.

i bit the bullet and bought a trackball..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOWB3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you are saying that you can flythe A10C, and operate all its systems without the mouse?

this is what i am needing to know more of.

I use mouse, but mostly for start-up procedures when I have to reach to some far corners. In flight I'm using my head motion to control the cursor (Rift cursor), and I have HOTAS buttons assigned to mouse left/right/wheel functions. Check the UILayer setting.

i think head cursor is going to be a matter of user perference.

head cursor is good for simple menus..for me anyway, i think i will like cursor control via mouse..

i guess i will find out when i get my trackball.

im glad head cursor works for you, i dont it will be good for me, i think it will be head straining to precisely centering my view at a specific button in the virtual cockpit...

will update you when i get dcs installed lol

I found head cursor to work really well, you know it is not like TrackIR where the turn ratio is huge, so it is actually quite easy to place it in a right spot. Also, every time I'm done with the mouse I leave the cursor in a center just below the HUD.

I found head cursor to work really well, you know it is not like TrackIR where the turn ratio is huge, so it is actually quite easy to place it in a right spot. Also, every time I'm done with the mouse I leave the cursor in a center just below the HUD.

I agree , I use it as well and it works pretty good for me. Definitely a nice feature for VR users.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It's what I'm doing as well and have modified my throttle to have mouse wheel that can be pressed for left click. Only to find out after trying F-5 that I need right button as well :joystick:

ttG2DIX.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to report that the trackball is working well.

but not ideal for DCS level aircraft.

probably for the same reason why i dont like to use the head look,

using the trackball ball (mouse cursor option), the cursor is still affected by the movement of my head (dcs is keeping the cursor in the field of view)

i give it to those people who do use head look.

buttons and switches are way too small me to constantly place the cursor on. :(

FC3 aircraft more enjoyable because my button box and hotas has everything mapped that i need

i think head cursor is going to be a matter of user perference.

head cursor is good for simple menus..for me anyway, i think i will like cursor control via mouse..

i guess i will find out when i get my trackball.

im glad head cursor works for you, i dont it will be good for me, i think it will be head straining to precisely centering my view at a specific button in the virtual cockpit...

will update you when i get dcs installed lol

The head cursor is a nice thing, but its problem is that it is locked to center of view view. Causing you to move your head around a lot in the menu (the DCS menus are very terrible really, even for a desktop use) and it works even less in the VR environment with a clickable cockpits when you need to click anything below HSI because it is centered.

The correction for this would be to allow move the mouse cursor from center to 1/3 for the bottom so you can get access to side and wall panels switches without using hand to twist the HMD downward.

The VR cursor could be automatically moving to user-defined positions, meaning it should move in a house shape depending where you are looking, so you could get easily access to every switch. In some modules like KA-50 / Mig-21Bis / Mi-8 etc it would be nice to have as well up position for overhead.

The another solution could be a button binded where the cursor is moved with button press cycling multiple user-defined positions

1st to up center

2nd to bottom center,

3rd to left bottom,

4th to bottom right

5th to center

It could as well be set as own dedicated buttons like a a hat so it could be easy to press and get the VR cursor position moved. Then a 8-way hat would become a nice one with multiplier to control its location.

The idea itself to have a cursor pointed with VR is nice, as it works quickly and is accurate enough (can't really do so well with a TrackIR) and doesn't feel awkward when you are manipulating something straight front of you near HUD.

And about the VR HMD "nosehole", it really ain't a answer for a more complex and dedicated devices like external displays. Using even a kneepad by that way is frustrating. What means people who have printed maps, checklists etc, can't use those with VR. With TrackIR it is nice to have a actual checklist in hand or on knee. Have the communications lists, have the map where you do with pen markings of your RWR mapping and even navigating that way. It is just something super useful to be able do. But not in VR. Maybe if we could get a actual virtual kneepad so we can draw there easily, it could be then be a other solution.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The idea itself to have a cursor pointed with VR is nice, as it works quickly and is accurate enough (can't really do so well with a TrackIR) and doesn't feel awkward when you are manipulating something straight front of you near HUD.

i also, didnt do to well with trackIR, i hated interpolation. believe me i tried trackIR many of times, absolutly hated it

i also, didnt do to well with trackIR, i hated interpolation. believe me i tried trackIR many of times, absolutly hated it
If you are talking about a mouse cursor somewhat locked to follow TrackIR viewpoint and being able to press mouse buttons, I don't know about that.

But trackIR works for me very well as I made custom profiles for each module itself. Like there was no use to see past 100 degree side in Mig-21Bis, nor see so in Su-25 as mirrors were so good and visibility was low anyways. So it was easy to get very accurate and almost natural movement with curves and it became immersive.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

topic is VR setups...

thanks for sharing experience

What is very broad topic....

It includes things like

- what setups (seats, keyboard, tables etc) can be used for VR compared to displays

- what kind controllers (keyboards, mouses, HOTAS, switchboards etc) can be used among HOTAS with VR compared to displays

- What kind experiences one can get with different setups and controllers for VR compared to displays

As those define what works and what doesn't work and what needs improvement or other solutions.

If someone doesn't specify the topic very narrowly but uses a broad one, lots of things is under the topic.

One of my setups is nothing more than a PC case, keyboard, mouse, HOTAS+pedals and VR HMD. No displays. It can be used for other VR titles easily too and can be located almost anywhere as keyboard and mouse are wireless too so only HOTAS and HMD cable are coming out.

If DCS would have a good user interface and usable HMD cursor, keyboard and mouse could likely be removed, at least the mouse.

You really can't go simpler setup than that.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

hey Fri13.

np. i started this thread to hear what VR users use to fly.

we know VR is great.

i pretty much knew oculus was good for me from day one.

but unfortunately we dont have hand interaction in the game to manipulate the virtual cockpit controls.

i seek out experienced users setups and like to hear ur thoughts.

most appreicate the replies.

i hope one day there will be gloves.

for the moment know, seems like everyone is getting by with either a mouse.. or a trackball, or just the simple center-dot head look to select the in game buttons switches.

for me, these methods arent great.

i wish i can say, hey, thats a great work around, that works for me, but it doesnt.

at times, its annoying to tilt my head unnaturally just to position that cursor over a certain button or switch.

i think the ideal solution is a Tracked Glove.

a track glove doesnt have to mimic an in game hand, just give us a mouse cursor. (thought in game hands would be the best situation)

side note.. (maybe i need help here)

when you log into DCS and brings you into the hangar.. using the cursor with the mouse is perfect! (the cursor doesnt follow the area of my view when i move the HMD around)

but in game (with or without confine mouse to screen) though the cursor is not centered, the stupid cursor still moves along with my head movement!

is there anyway to not have the cursor move ONLY by means of mouse/trackball only, like how it would be when you log into the hangar ?

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 1