Maybe bug with tanks and glimiter

ridbobkan

Hi All,

External tanks can resist to 6g loads, even when full of fuel. Which sounds good to me.

So, I can't explain why tanks would not resist to a 9 or 10g when they are empty (central tank does, not tanks on wings).

(the question is not: "do real pilot switch to 9g when tanks are empty"... it is just a mathematic issue)

Have a nice day

Let's say empty tank weight is 2t (I know....)

with 1t of fuel : 3t in total for each pylon. 3t x 6g = 18 t.

Now, with empty tank, but no g limit:

2t x 9g = 18t.

So, we should be able to pull 9g with empty tanks.

I know 2t is WAY too much: but it is too show we may have an issue. With lighter tank, it becomes obvious:

1t:

with 1t of fuel: 2t x 6g = 12t

no fuel: 1t x 9g = 9t.

In real life you'd get rid of the tanks (hence the name, drop tanks) before pulling that sort of G, my guess is that prolonged exposure to high G in real life would cause all sorts of fatigue problems and possibly the mechanical locks on the pylons aren't cleared for that load? My central tank always seem to fall off under any duress.

Why would you pull irl in the neighborhood of 6g with tanks on? Such loads are pretty severe even for ACM training. Let alone pulling 8 or 9 g. Pylon fatigue is real. Also if I'm not mistaken most multirole fighters are limited to 3G with AG ordnance so 6 on the mirage is the protection limit not a normal excursion limit.

Edited by dimitrischal

Are you allowed and should you are different questions.

Fuel tank load limits can be different than simply their empty/full mass ratios inverted because:

Empty tanks aren't, fuel remains unusable.

Loading other than acceleration: aerodynamic, oscillation modes

Structural dynamics may be worse without supporting fuel

Rolling dynamics for wing tanks complicate matters

Mechanisms inside the tank are a constant