No Warning at IR-Missile-Launch?

Hi there,

This might be a noobish question, but here is my problem:

Let's say I'm flying with a Su-25T and my wingman over the target area which is protected by several 'Iglas'. They launch a missile.

The difference between me and my wingman is:

- My Wingman notices a 'SAM Start' and tries to avoid the missile.

- I'm still waiting for the launch authority of my bombs when suddenly both of my two engines are burning and my left wing is missing without any warning...

Is there any way to receive a warning signal when a IR-Missile was launched at me, or is it just the 'visual contact'?

That gives me the feeling that I'm flying 'blind', and I'm not a friend of bad surprises to be honest ;)

Same issue when a a/c launches an AIM-9 or any other IR-Missile.

Thanks

• ED Team

Welcome to the "real thing" :D

IR are passive missiles and if u dont see it coming or your wingman isnt screaming to break off it will probably hit you.

If you getting into a dangerous zone drop flares regulary and watch out for the enemy SAMs. If you fly the Su-25t you can use the IR jammer by pressing SHIFT-E. But it covers only your rear aspect of the fusealge.

***EDIT***

SHIFT-E

***EDIT***

probably you should watch tutorial tracks

as i remember it is said about it there

IR rocket doesnt radiates anything so your sistems cant see the launch

the best way is to push shift+Q when youre near the target and slow down your engines so the gas running out of them will have lower temperature.

or you should constantly turn your head an if you see white "tail" after the rocket or the launch flash and no signal from BEREZA just start pushing DELETE 2-3 times until rocketloses you. Attention is the only way. Good luck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have never had a wingman calling out SAM launches against me. That "SAM launch 11 o'clock" was about a missile aimed at themselfe.

To answer your question Earthworm, the AI has supernatural senses and simply has a 'visual' on pretty much everything.

A good friend is shift+Q, wich will activate continous flare dispense. The Su-25 has enough supply for roughly 5 minutes of ejecting flares, wich should be enough time to work in the target area. This wont save from from every SAM, but if you stay fast it realy increases your rate of survival.

If it is tactical possible, it is best to operate above 3000m AGL in areas you expect IR SAMs.

I recomend you to see "OUTMANEUVERING SAMs" tutorial here: http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/supad.htm , "Su-25T FLAMING CLIFFS CAMPAIGN Mission 001" and A-10A CAMPAIGN Mission 002 tutorials here: http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/a2g.htm

Ironhands tutorials are the best made IMHO.

For a direct answer to your question, The IR seeker sees your aircraft thermal radiation so it doesnt needs to emit anything to see you... similar to a hidden sniper trying to blow your head off without the need to point a flashlight at you.

You can prevent being killed (to easely :) ) by constant scaning the surroundings (with "mark one eye ball") for the tipical smoke trails that a IR missile launch have and take counter measures imidiately after seing one.

And about AI... the AI has an "all seing eye", he doesn't have a cockpit to block his view... he is actualy informed by the game from which he is a part that in it's sphere of "sight" a IR launch has been made. Is cheating basicaly.... the revenge is is stupid actions :) like droping all ordonance and engaging defensive like crazy :D.

ah... and if AI is near you and warn you about such a launch... trust him ;) .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

thank you guys for these helpful answers. So i was right then, there is no warning. I guess i have to live with it. To avoid the Iglas i normally try to stay above 4000 meters.

By the way, i've seen this training mission where it says that there is no warning for IR-Missiles. I just couldn't understand how the AI notices them. But it seems like in most of the games:

AI = God, Player = victim. Oh well.. ;)

Quite right, the AI needs some tweaking to be a little less omni-scient ... use preventive measures: Flying high is good, but just in case you end up diving -or- a nearby medium altitude SAM forces you to fly lower, remember to start your automatic flare dispenser, and your jammer. They're not 100% effective but they help.

thank you guys for these helpful answers. So i was right then, there is no warning. I guess i have to live with it. To avoid the Iglas i normally try to stay above 4000 meters.

By the way, i've seen this training mission where it says that there is no warning for IR-Missiles. I just couldn't understand how the AI notices them. But it seems like in most of the games:

AI = God, Player = victim. Oh well.. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda