Toe breaks don’t have the same holding power like Wheel Brake Start

SnapRoll

This is true for the Su-27 and Su-33. I would have expected that the maximum travel of the Wheel Break axis’ would give you the same holding power like Wheel Brake Start, but it only goes as far as the normal W-key.

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

This is true for the Su-27 and Su-33. I would have expected that the maximum travel of the Wheel Break axis’ would give you the same holding power like Wheel Brake Start, but it only goes as far as the normal W-key.

Thanks for pointing that out, didn't know about the Wheel brake start, great for carrier and short runway take-offs.

I suspect that normal wheel brake (W) and wheel brake axis are for normal stopping and slowing down operations and may have ABS or anti-skid systems so as to not damage tires or cause swerving.

Wheel brake start (Lshift+W) applies twice the force to the brakes and therefore should only be used for short runway or carrier take-offs (Hold the plane in position against blast wall until Afterburners reach full power).

So I wouldn't call this a bug, it is as it should be.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

You expected wrongly. The toe breaks are even independently controled from the wheelbreak start which is a flip lever on the stick and not controlled by the pedals. It is indeed to prevent excessive force on the wheels during normal taxiing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Ah, cool, tanks! This lever is even animated. I did not see it because I am not using TrackIR or VR.

But still, I would have expected that every plane’s landing gear would be able to withstand the braking forces until the tires start skidding. After all what’s the use of anti-skid if it cannot take the force required until skidding.

I expected it to be like on the DCS Mig-15 were ‘W’ and LShift-W is just pressing the braking lever half way or fully.

I found some info in another thread from Sov13t:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t

The SU-27 is equipped with both pedal actuated brakes (main braking) and stick mounted brake (start brakes) of course there is an emergency braking system as well.

The difference is the pedal actuated brakes provide 105-120 kg/cm2 pressure and can be used for differential braking, while the start brakes provide 175-220 kg/cm2 pressure allowing to hold the aircraft still at higher engine RPMs applied uniformly across the two main wheels.

The start brake engagement is not quite digital but close to it. The pilot does not have feedback/control as to how fast/intense the brakes are applied. The release is near instant. As mentioned above, the brake lever on the stick is used only when lined up for take off.

Edited by SnapRoll

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier