Track/Desired Track/Bearing not working correctly?

lmp

I was flying to a waypoint with a desired track of 288. I drifted slightly off course - the virtual CDI "needle" went left and the bearing changed to 287. So far so good. I turned to track 286 (according to the GPS display) to get back on DT. At this point I was expecting the bearing to come up to 288 but it continued to drop to 286. I turned to track 284, the bearing to waypoint continued going down. I had to make a much coarser correction to get back on DT. Once I managed that, I carefully turned back to track 288 and quickly started to go off course according to the GPS.

In the map view, it looked like I had to be tracking several degrees to the left of the flight plan leg in order to stay on DT.

The entire time I was using only the GPS track/bearing/DT indications, ignoring the gyrocompass.

Is there wind in the mission? A crosswind will cause you to have a different heading than your desired track in order to hold that track.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

There was, but the GPS is not showing heading - it's showing track. It has in fact no way to get any heading information. It can only determine where the helicopter is going, not where it's pointing - the opposite of what a compass can do.

EDIT: However, if the GPS was erroneously showing heading instead of track, that might be the source of the problem. I'll look into it at home.

Edited by lmp

It is erroneously showing heading. I will make sure that's properly reported (I had thought it was, but now I am not sure, and I cannot access the bug DB while at work)

Same report was in russian thread. Definitely - bug. Reported.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...

ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

• 10 months later...

Bumping this because I was playing around with the Yak-52 and its ARK navigation wasn't working so I tried using the NS430 instead… and ended up flying in pretty silly circles.

Some experimentation made me eventually find the right track to fly to get to where I wanted.

It looks like, quite simply, the TRK is using some kind of misapplied true heading rather than magnetic. The attached image shows me flying pretty much dead straight and true towards Gelendzhik (mag.var +6.3°). Flying at a 283–284° indicated track would keep me right on top of the desired track of 291° and with a constant bearing towards the nav point (everything with a ±1° rounding margin of error).

attachment.php?attachmentid=191943&stc=1&d=1534114063

So the bug is still around 10 months later, and looks like it's mainly a superfluous addition or subtraction at some point.

NS430-TRK_error.png.e22d83892effedb869aa9b9e46cfa440.png

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this as I've just picked up the NS430 on steam and test flown a couple of F-5 flight plans that I've already planned/flown manually.

TL;DR:

Desired Track Caucasus

• Desired track bearings are out by ~6° in the Caucasus. Ground track is correct.

• Desired track bearings are correct in Nevada

Map

• Map objects and track are offset to the right (MagVar ?) in both Caucasus and Nevada theaters.

Details:

Checking a flight plan from Batumi (UGSB) to Tbilisi-Lochini (UGTB) using the F10 map ruler

Batumi to Tbilisi-Lochini = 81°T for 151 nm

NS430 Desired Track Error, pic 1, F10 map, 2_5_3_21235, Screen_180906_003941.jpg

Using the 'Direct To' function, the NS430 gave

NS430 Desired Track Error, pic 2, Batumi, 2_5_3_21235, Screen_180906_003812.jpg

UGTB = 81°M for 150 nm (changing "Aux>Page 3> Units / Mag Var" to True, adds +6 i.e. 87°T)

To follow the desired track I flew approx 75°M using the F-5 HSI, the NS430 confirmed the 75°M ground track, however although the HSI/TACAN showed Tbilisi directly ahead, the NS430 always showed the desired route/Tbilisi approx 6° to the right.

NS430 Desired Track Error, pic 3, TACAN 75 Mag and Track 75 Mag equals desired track 81 Mag, 2_5.jpg

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.5.3.21235

Mag Var as measured by a Gazelle NADIR at Batumi was +6°36' (+6.60°)

Edited by Ramsay
Fix formatting following migration to new forum

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Testing in the AV-8B confirmed the problem.

The incorrect Desired Track only effects the Caucasus map, track headings were correct in Nevada.

NS430 AV8B Nellis Approach True Track, Screen_180906_112428.jpg

The misaligned NS430 map is similar to the AV-8B's misaligned ground track when using Magnetic Bearings.

NS430 AV8B Batumi Approach Magnetic Track, Screen_180906_120836.jpg

However unlike the AV-8B, the misalignment is not corrected by switching to True bearings.

NS430 AV8B Batumi Approach True Track, Screen_180906_121031.jpg

Hopefully this will give sufficient detail to fix the Desired Track issue in the Caucasus and perhaps the misaligned map.

Tested Open Beta 2.5.3.21235

Mag Var as measured by a Gazelle NADIR:

Nellis = +11°35' (+11.58°)

Batumi = +6°36' (+6.60°)

AV8B_Landing_Batumi.mi

AV8B NS430 TACAN-ILS Test, Nellis.miz

Edited by Ramsay
Fix picture formatting

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 years later...

ED,

I was happily surprised with the 2.7 clouds. So I purchased the GPS and and got disappointed that this bug from 2017 is still present (or maybe it went away and came back I don't know). 

Anyway, as already reported, the DTK and BRG are being displayed in True Heading, instead of Magnetic Heading. TRK is OK in Magnetic Heading. The difference is about 6 degrees which makes me think it is a mix up in the magnetic deviation (Caucasus map). Could you please take a look at this?

gps 1.jpg

gps 2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can confirm, even tho the heading is set to magnetic in the NS430's settings page, it's showing true heading in the default nav page.

Changing the setting to true heading will change the heading shown to true heading + magnetic deviation, so a complete nonsense number.

A fix would be much appreciated...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Coming up to a 5 year anniversary on this ED.

8 Years on the Mi8 hardpoints bug.

Can we get a real bug tracker yet and start getting these triaged?

It's starting to look grossly unprofessional from the point of view of a paying customer.

It's a complex product and i don't expect instantaneous fixes or perfection, but you have admit this is getting silly.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...