So...Where Now?

VEAO was a big part of the WWII community, as they had a lot of warbirds in mind. But now that they're gone, who's going to give us WWII?

Jet nuts have ED+multiple third parties. We have just ED. So, other than ED, who is going to take on the warbirds?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't see VEAO leaving as being a change in the scene at all. I never expected anything from them anyways.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

You're so helpful

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, what answer did you expect then? Because it's not the kind of question, that anyone from the community can "help" you with. We don't know what the devs are planning. Maybe M3 is doing some wwii plane, maybe not.

Besides, DCS is first and foremost a modern(ish) combat sim, wwii part still in its infancy and still lagging behind. No wonder few parties want to commit to such endeavor at this point.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

From what we know from wags the WW2 planes are easier to make than those ultra advanced jets from 80's and 90's.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

From what we know from wags the WW2 planes are easier to make than those ultra advanced jets from 80's and 190's.

True story...

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

At this point, there are a few possibilities for WWII aircraft outside of ED, but they aren't certain:

- Magnitude 3 (Leatherneck) wants to eventually complete the work that was started on F4U Corsair, they may also do some Japanese fighters like the Zero, and their coming soon page has a P-38 in background which may or may not be relevant beyond being an image.

- VEAO maitains that they will still complete P-40F at least

- Miltech-5, which has split from Polychop has stated that they will still do Ju-87 Stuka, but they have a lot of work ahead with many versions of Bo-105 first

- OctopusG seem to be getting near the point of releasing their I-16

These are all I can think of at this point.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

As the story of ED's development of the P-47D shows us, the greatest issue ED will likely have in developing any given aircraft will be gathering the necessary technical documentation. From my understanding, were it not for these difficulties, the P-47D would have been roaring over the Normandy map in the golden rays of its first sunrise.

I've never read how VEAO was dealing with this issue, but I didn't follow their development very closely either, probably, because most of the aircraft they were planning didn't really fit into the era of WWII aerial combat. In the end, I can only guess what their motivations were.

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

As I understood it, their choices were predicated on the particular types that they had access to in The Fighter Collection, thus giving they something close to the manufacturer's blue prints and data, and the FM's could be somewhat "validated" by RL pilots that fly them for TFC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

P-40, SPITFIRE XIV, Fw190 Antons... They were all very much present to the timeline (Certainly more so than any of the current luftwaffe aircraft).

VEAO DCS development closures is a huge blow to DCS WWII IMO, I am looking forward to the P-40 and still have my fingers crossed that the spitfire XIV will reappear.

Speculation of course but I do wonder if the revised contract that was rejected was the same as the ones that other 3Rd parties signed up to...

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Since ED has already stated that the documents necessary to build the flight model of the P-47D would require putting a real aircraft and/or models into a wind tunnel to reproduce the original tests, that might be something that tripped VEAO up in their plans, if they thought simply having access to an aircraft and its pilots would be a replacement for the actual wind tunnel test results.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

VEAO had mostly chosen the aircraft they could readily access thanks to TFC.

However, you are right in case of P-47, as far as I remember, originally it would be before the Spitfire, but difficulty in finding all the necessary information for it allowed the Spitfire to surpass it in release schedule.

Shows how much is involved in making "DCS level" modules, even for 70 years old aircraft.

Anyway, like I have said in my earlier post, there still are some candidates who may continue to release WWII era aircraft besides the ED themselves. And speaking of the ED, they still have P-47 and Me-262 to release.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I believe that we will see more 3rd party devs arrive on the scene, (And possibly some previous devs show up again) once they merge the code and finally provide one ecosystem for them to code for. Having multiple versions and multiple changes to each of those versions happening all the time would make bug squashing nearly impossible and I know for a fact that I would not want to jump in to that kind of nightmarish mess right from the get go.. My guess is that once we have one version of DCS running somewhat stable, then we are going to see more 3rd party devs join the party, but until then I will bet things stay pretty quiet on that front

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I think part of the problem is that there can also be too many airplanes. I don't know how much you are willing to spend but I would normally want to fly and enjoy every single plane for at least 50 hours, and possible much more.

We are still far from that point but there could also be oversaturation where people just don't buy planes they normally would, and for me this sim has always been more about quality than quantity.

In this sense this is also a one-plane-for-each-type approach. Having both the Bf109 and Fw190 is already pushing that but you get the picture. For example I for one would absolutely love a Fw190A, but then I can see how there is a risk this only halves the sale of both modules. With the P51, 2 German fighters and a Spitfire the roster may not be deep but it is already quite broad. A P47 is apparently in the works. A Corsair has also been rumored. Add to that maybe a Russian, Japanese and Italian fighter and you have at least 1 plane for everyone.

Too many choices does not make people happy anyway, for example many people do not like the Bf109 at first but if they really want to fly a German fighter they would have to fly a Messerschmitt and many will eventually fall in love with it.

Instead of having dozens of fighters it would really make more sense to me to have less planes but more different roles. There should be a two engined plane, ideally a Mosquito. Or pre war or training planes (Bf108 or Fi156 would be sweet), a biplane (could be Swordfish or C.R.42) etc.

Tbh I dont worry about the price nor the availability right now, what I worry more about would be a lot of half assed planes that sit on my hard disk and are never used. I am very careful with my purchases and so far very happy with my choices (The 109 and the Mig15 are both excellent modules, only the Mig 21 is causing me a bit of consternation).

Edited by Burning Bridges

A P47 is apparently in the works. A Corsair has also been rumored. Add to that maybe a Russian, Japanese and Italian fighter and you have at least 1 plane for everyone.

There should be a two engined plane, ideally a Mosquito.

We have an I-16 Type 24 in the works right now. I don't know if by an official 3rd party or not, but the folks working on it are doing an awesome job, and it looks to be a fully fledged module in the future.

I didn't hear any word of a Japanese fighter. Would be nice though. THE_ITALIAN_ACE is working on an Italian fighter, I believe. Markindel I think. Going off memory there.

I don't know much about the Mosquito, but I personally would love to have a P-38L. You're right though, quality>quantity. ;)

Edited by Magic Zach
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And I have no issues with quantity... as long as we have the quality.. I have bought more than one airframe that I was initially not really interested in only to find to my pleasure that I really liked it.. But I am one of the old time "support the genre" kind of guys and I buy nearly everything to support the sim itself because if ED goes away we no longer have the hobby..

Obviously not everyone can take this attitude for monetary or other reasons and I understand that.. Just in my case I intend to support them and if they keep pumping out good quality FUN modules I will MOSTLY continue to buy them... I say mostly simply because I am not really a fan of WW2 modules... (Don't hate me, just how it is) and I have thus far bought the WW2 offerings but not sure if I will buy any others from that era...

Which brings us back to a persistent and dynamic campaign mode is VITAL to the continued success of ED...If they could have 3rd party devs create a good workable dynamic campaign generator so that different persistent "wars" could be created offering different ranges of years, I think it would greatly enhance the interest in DCS as well as overcome some of the issues stated above with too many airframes and saturation.. I envision something similar to that OTHER simulation, but designed so that a 3rd party dev could "snap" in different terrains and assets and create usable dynamic campaigns tailored to whatrver range of years and theatre wanted.. The snap ins are already here, the planes, the maps the assets etc.. Just need a separate engine to pull these all together into a coherent world..

Edited by outlawal2

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

As I've said before, the DCS WW2 project seems to suffer from a lack of cohesion. Who's holding the strings?

But sod it though. I personally _don't_ have a slightest problem with Oliver's Ragtag Aerial Army with its I-16s and whatnot on a late-war Western Front, because how _could_ I? Since what I do nowadays is Mi-8s and L-39s in Nevada doing COIN against Al-Absinth's Revolutionary Brotherhood who've almost taken over the whole state of Nevada :megalol:

But the more conservative customers amongst us, who'll never go for such silliness? I foresee a slight problem there...

/drunken blether over

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.