Samsung Odessey VR (release next month)

Fred00

See link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/samsung-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8W91R774PDKK

Techradar hands-on review:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-hmd-odyssey

Is this next gen? Maybe not, but about 75% more pixels than the Rift and Vive, 110 degree FOV and hopefully an RGB OLED display instead of those crappy pentile displays can make a world of difference in DCS.

Edited by Fred00

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading that it is to be released Nov 5 with a 500 USD price point. I hope this is at least enough of an incremental improvement to get the people of the DCS world into VR as the preferred platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Magnanimous

Reading the first reviews on this one will be extremely interesting. Even for those who already have a Rift/Vive and don’t plan to buy this it may prove an important product. People have been saying 2019 or 2020 for the CV2 and Vive 2, but if Samsung have done this well then Oculus and HTC better be prepared to release updated versions of their headsets alot earlier than 2-3 years, otherwise they will be left far behind the competition.

i am good with my oculus rift.

the specs of the sumsung odessey is impressive, especially the increased resolution.

but at the moment, DCS already is taxed at the resolution of the the rift / vive..

i dont even want to know what decreased fps i will get.

im sure the downscaling / upscale will make the performance equivlent..

until there is offical dcs support, i will watch how this product takes off so..

i will let the device play out with time.

if more DCS users are moving over to this later, i will join, but for now, i wont be an early buyer of the odessey.

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I agree that we need to see what support ED will give to this. I’m sure though, if it proves superior to the competition in DCS, that we will see good support and many users on this forum. Especially if the updated Rift and Vive take a long time to arrive.

Hannibal, I don't know for a fact but I suspect the increased resolution will be barely noticed given most people are running at a DP above 1.0. The pixel compression most of us are running on will be a much larger performance hit than the Samsung resolution.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I've yet to see "Inside-out tracking is built into your headset" feel as good as outside tracking. Precision is to important, long term use (for me) of inside out tracking tends to bring VR sickness with it (and i dont really get VR sickness). We will see what the critics say when its released.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I've yet to see "Inside-out tracking is built into your headset" feel as good as outside tracking. Precision is to important, long term use (for me) of inside out tracking tends to bring VR sickness with it (and i dont really get VR sickness). We will see what the critics say when its released.

I tried the Hololens and their system works really good! The Hololens is extremely precise. The new glasses have 2 instead of 4 cameras, but I would expect the tracking to work very good. Microsoft has a lot of experience with that by now.

I myself will hold off and see what the next generation brings from the big guns.

Having too much fun with my Rift now to hang it up just yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hannibal, I don't know for a fact but I suspect the increased resolution will be barely noticed given most people are running at a DP above 1.0. The pixel compression most of us are running on will be a much larger performance hit than the Samsung resolution.

if this product works.. i will buy it!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I tried the Hololens and their system works really good! The Hololens is extremely precise. The new glasses have 2 instead of 4 cameras, but I would expect the tracking to work very good. Microsoft has a lot of experience with that by now.

Ya i have 2 of them for work, no problems, but Hololens doesnt remove the real world, its AR, not VR. If your whole world is removed its different, try a standup game with GearVR, you will see what I mean ( ohhhh there arent any :) )

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

The device will be supported by Steam VR, hopefully before the end of the year. It remains to be seen if we will see a "re-Vive"-like solution to be able to play Oculus Rift games on the Samsung.

The hands-on comments I've read so far describes a device that more or less feels like a Rift but with better display. Sounds pretty good to me.

The Odyssey may very well push Oculus to release info on the CV2 on Oculus Connect next week. This would be an attempt to prevent people from buying the Samsung headset, but to achieve that goal I believe they will have to publish specs that easily beats the Odyssey as well as a release no later than Q2 2018. Otherwise, many will just buy the Odyssey instead (I probably will if it gets good reviews).

The Oculus summer sale may also have been a last effort to sell as many Rifts as possible before Microsoft MR platform takes off.

Edited by Fred00

Interested to see how this all plays out, I just got my CV1 maybe 6 weeks ago...but I'm not opposed to selling it and upgrading if there's something materially better available. I only paid $375 for the CV1 with the Touch controllers, so I wouldn't be taking too big of a hit on resale.

Edit: typo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I think this will end up being the best bang for buck HMD for DCS (at least for 6-12 months).

Some people are wondering about the tracking but I think HMD-only tracking will be near enough to perfect so as to be a non-issue. This is because you can't really move your head fast enough so that inside-out camera tracking has problems. Lighthouse and Constellation tracking are overkill for HMD-only cockpit experiences.

The most interesting part is that the Microsoft platform has a lesser hardware requirement than Vive/Rift.

Will hold off until we get feedback on the real world performance in DCS.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

The most interesting part is that the Microsoft platform has a lesser hardware requirement than Vive/Rift.

Will hold off until we get feedback on the real world performance in DCS.

The hardware requirement is probably just a matter of definition. You could run Doom in VR on a crappy computer in either Rift or Odyssey. The fact is that the Odyssey runs about 75% higher resolution which will affect performance negatively (everything else being equal).

However, in DCS many people are already increasing the pixel density to 1.5-1.8, which is a taxing way of marginally increasing clarity. The Odyssey may run the same performance in DCS at PD 1.0 as the Rift on 1.7, only with a much better picture quality in the Odyssey.

We do however need to know if ASW will be supported.

Ok it will give marginal improvement in clarity, but just a little.

Increased FOV will strech pixels so we will get a same picture clarity as in Rift, I dont see why picture clarity would be better, mind you that the lenses play major role, and more FOV gives problems in that area.. The more i play in VR the more i realise that better FOV will be marginal improvement, it will give nothing for clarity...for immersion maybe. As the visibility in DCS in general is bad, bigger FOV will give little to no benefits to situation aweraness.

Edited by Verde

Increased FOV will strech pixels the same way as picture in Rift, I dont see why picture clarity would be better. The more i play in VR the more i realise that better FOV will be marginal improvement, it will give nothing for clarity...for immersion maybe. As the visibility in DCS in general is bad, bigger FOV will give little to no benefits to situation aweraness.

The FOV is the same as Rift, 110 degrees, so yes, the Odyssey should provide alot more clarity.