Samsung Odessey VR (release next month)

Fred00

However, in DCS many people are already increasing the pixel density to 1.5-1.8, which is a taxing way of marginally increasing clarity. The Odyssey may run the same performance in DCS at PD 1.0 as the Rift on 1.7, only with a much better picture quality in the Odyssey.

This.

I rather spend my precious processing power on real pixels than some virtual ones that help a bit but cost exceptional. If you want resolution nothing beats real resolution.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: My BAD! I thought it had bigger FOV! :doh:

That's okay. :) For the record I also prefer increased resolution (or PPI) before an increase in FOV, especially since DCS will be my main VR game. The 110 degrees in FOV of the Rift has never really bothered me. In some games (like racing games) a more narrow FOV might actually closer mimic the real life experience, since a racing helmet usually narrows your vision somewhat.

Just for reference:

Rift amount of pixels: 1080x1200 = 1,296,000

Odyssey amount of pixels: 1440x1600 = 2,304,000

Interest to see how this all plays out, I just got my CV1 maybe 6 weeks ago...but I'm not opposed to selling it and upgrading if there's something materially better available. I only paid $375 for the CV1 with the Touch controllers, so I wouldn't be taking too big of a hit on resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons I let mine go the other day things are moving fast in VR so wanted good money back before the cv1 drops its worth.

Warning

To the rift and Htc vive users.

Samsung is just 1.3 times better then oculus and HTC vive

Rift and Htc vive = 1080 x 1200 pixels

Samsung = 1440 x 1600 pixels

It's just 1.3 better then what we have!

So be warned. :book:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

And that is just in resolution.

As for me, I would need it to be better in all areas - hand tracking, positional tracking, field of view, room scale.

Certainly flight sims are my main go to games, but I also do enjoy Touch games as a deviation at times that utilize room scale as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Warning

How so?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Warning

Please be kind and explain what you mean by that.

Could you play DCS with these when they come out? Or is the game not compatible?

I think we will have to wait and see what ED say about it. I believe though that they are keen on implementing support for all the Microsoft MR headsets, and having support for the Vive and Rift already makes me believe that it's not a huge undertaking.

And that is just in resolution.

As for me, I would need it to be better in all areas - hand tracking, positional tracking, field of view, room scale.

Certainly flight sims are my main go to games, but I also do enjoy Touch games as a deviation at times that utilize room scale as well.

I can understand that (when having a Rift already). However, for those of us still on the fence it may be a very good alternative. Particularly for DCS which really needs those extra pixels for added HUD and instrument clarity.

Please be kind and explain what you mean by that.

Explain? We have the rift or the vive. The boost in pixels in minor in relation to the things we have. The costs are more then the joy of it.

If you want to upgrade to the samsung fine, but don't expect a magical boost of experience in relation to the rift or vive.

There is much to come in VR, just be patient. The market grows fast and the development from new headsets with better specs too.

I hope this explains my warning to the community.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I can understand that (when having a Rift already). However, for those of us still on the fence it may be a very good alternative. Particularly for DCS which really needs those extra pixels for added HUD and instrument clarity.

Move your head, use PD settings and not to forget virtual zoom!

Explain? We have the rift or the vive. The boost in pixels in minor in relation to the things we have. The costs are more then the joy of it.

Of course no one should expect miracles, but a screen with 2.3M pixels instead of 1.3M pixels with the same FOV will for sure make a difference. Especially when resolution is one of the main gripes with the current gen. Will there be even better alternatives further on? Of course. Even in 2018? Maybe.

I think we will have to wait and see what ED say about it. .

HA!!!! Sorry for my pessimism but ED has a very long notorious history of not communicating.

I mean, hey, I love the product but communication and ED is not synchronous.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

First look from Tested:

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

My advice (for what it's worth) do not buy one of these microsoft backed headsets for DCS without first hearing from ED. Take a look at this:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/porting_guides

It looks very much like another store front requirement with no support for steam apps, Oculus apps or even standalone apps unless they are from the windows store.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Looking at the Tested clip it seems the Odyssey might be a nice upgrade from the Rift and the Vive for DCS players. The higher resolution is clearly visible as I understand it. What we need is proper support in DCS and working ASW. It remains to be seen when that is implemented.

In the link below, what we might expect from a true next-gen VR headset (obviously with eye-tracking, otherwise I don't see it happening with that kind of resolution). That's over 4.4M pixels per eye, compared to 2.3M for the Odyssey and 1.3M for the Vive.

https://www.roadtovr.com/samsungs-new-vr-display-nearly-3-5x-pixels-rift-vive/

Well, there is somebody out there who can't ressist it not too buy. We shall hear from them. :D

There is nowhere to find what PPI got this new Samsung Display.

PPI is showing what SDE could be as an issue.

About resolution should be significantly better and AMOLED display should provide more vivid and colorful picture. In DCS this is one of the most important feature which is reflecting on reading instruments and spoting targets.

About dis test on Youtube they didn't say nothing at all and I don't take this test seriously because they are not based on some technical facts and more details about it. It is based on individual superficial impression without focus on technical pro and con.

I'm waiting some more serious observation especially from DCS player perspective. But according to specs Samsung should have around 14PPD (Pixel Per Degree). For your information CV1 got around 10 what is 40% better. It is even 16% better than Pimax4K 12PPD. So should be step forward comparing to CV1.

We will see soon.

I like that things finally seem to heat up a bit in the VR industry. The last 18 months since the release of the Rift and Vive have been kind of stale. Now we have all the Windows headsets coming, and especially the Odyssey. We also have the Pimax 8K in development. It remains to be seen how good of a product it will be, but I think the extremely successful Kickstarter campaign (1.4M bucks right now) serves as a wake up call to Oculus and HTC. Continue selling them for another 2 years or so will probably not be an option. They need to react pretty soon. Oculus Connect will be very interesting next week!