Samsung Odessey VR (release next month)

Fred00

Yep, its an exciting time man. Can't wait for a higher resolution set.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is somebody out there who can't ressist it not too buy. We shall hear from them. :D

Indeed, there's always "that guy...." ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I was wondering about the "Visibility Range" setting with the higher resolution? I think DCS for VR has a pre render distance that your clear picture would be clear but even to the max ultra Visibility range if your computer can handle that, it would be fuzzy again beyond that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC Windows MR Standard isnt the same as the Oculus and SteamVR.

These Devices render differently, so they may not work with DCS at all.

Also, the Samsung I've seen, uses a DisplayPORT connector.

Drivers/Software Support may also be Limited to Windows 10

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

IIRC Windows MR Standard isnt the same as the Oculus and SteamVR.

These Devices render differently, so they may not work with DCS at all.

Also, the Samsung I've seen, uses a DisplayPORT connector.

Drivers/Software Support may also be Limited to Windows 10

That's exactly what I took from the link I posted on the previous page. There is no 'may not work' - they will not work! They will only work on windows 10 via the UWP APIs. Dcs is not on the windows App Store front, therefore, it won't work with Microsoft MR headsets at all without compiling against the new APIs and recoding, integration with the windows App Store.

"The Windows platform APIs for mixed reality only work in the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app model. So if your app is not already built for UWP, porting to UWP will be part of the porting experience."

"The Windows Mixed Reality platform is still under active development, and to be most effective, we recommend being on the "Windows Insider Fast" flight. In order to have access to windows flights, you will need to join the Windows Insider Program.

Install the Windows 10 Creators Update

Join the Windows Insider Program.

Enable Developer Mode

Switch to the Windows Insider Fast flights through Settings --> Update & Security Section"

EDIT: it seems steamVR support for windows MR headsets is in the pipeline. We will have to wait and see.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Interesting, these could be the displays in the next Gen Rift & Vive.

Course, nether one is talking, but I suspect we'll see something from Facebook & HTC before Christmas 2018...:music_whistling:

Yes, I think there is a good chance that this is the next Rift/Vive display. It's not plausible that it's just a display made for demo purposes. Then we also know that these displays were ready already in May (and possibly alot earlier than that).

I was about to say almost the exact same thing. We will probably know more about the next gen VR headsets by CES in January.

How Many gpus is needed to maintain solid 90 fps for this device? 5×gtx1280ti ?

For the Odyssey? The resolution is not that much higher than the Rift and Vive. Considering that many already increase the pixel density, the Odyssey shouldn't be much harder to run.

For the Odyssey? The resolution is not that much higher than the Rift and Vive. Considering that many already increase the pixel density, the Odyssey shouldn't be much harder to run.

At 90hz?? I see no mention of ASW or an equivalent for MR headsets. It can also do 60hz though. I've been there with dk1. Not going back.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

At 90hz?? I see no mention of ASW or an equivalent for MR headsets. It can also do 60hz though. I've been there with dk1. Not going back.

No, ASW is of course needed. I assume that it will be implemented sooner rather than later, since it is a crucial feature to lower the hardware rquirements in VR.

No, ASW is of course needed. I assume that it will be implemented sooner rather than later, since it is a crucial feature to lower the hardware rquirements in VR.

Let's see what will happen then.:)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Are you kidding or you try to convince your self because you got Rift?

Difference is 40% more pixels for Odyssey. it is 10vs14 PPD if you know at all what that mean. In DCS this could mean life and death advantage in MP Dogfight. This is difference to bee or not to be competitive in MP, or easy vs hard to read instruments or spotting targets in distance especially for WWII war birds.

In all of this include lower SDE. All of you know how big difference is between DK2 and CV1 and this diferenc in specification is lower than specification difference between Odissey vs CV1.

So how this is not that much difference, and I even didn't mention better AMOLED display differences?

PPD 40% better (higher ress and sharper image)

PPI 25% better (smaller SDE)

Also we don't know some other possible advantages which could be raise up but no one mention it yet.

That is HDMI2.0 and DP 1.4 in combination with AMOLED display could give you full RGB display with chroma 4:4:4 on 90Hz and this is one more plus for better picture but I can0t confirm it yet based on available specs.

This is potentially Rift killer, Vive still got advantage based on Lighthouse tracking but it come for the price. Rift is dead or they have to keep this summer sale 400$ price as regular to be competitive what is good for us consumers what ever VR you chose.

Edited by wormeaten

This is potentially Rift killer, Vive still got advantage based on Lighthouse tracking but it come for the price. Rift is dead or they have to keep this summer sale 400$ price as regular to be competitive what is good for us consumers what ever VR you chose.

Lol,

So a mixed reality headset is a Rift killer?

I have a feeling Rift CV2 along with next gen Vive will blow all of these out of the water for what we do. Patience is a good thing. :smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are you kidding or you try to convince your self because you got Rift?

Difference is 40% more pixels for Odyssey. it is 10vs14 PPD if you know at all what that mean. In DCS this could mean life and death advantage in MP Dogfight. This is difference to bee or not to be competitive in MP, or easy vs hard to read instruments or spotting targets in distance especially for WWII war birds.

In all of this include lower SDE. All of you know how big difference is between DK2 and CV1 and this diferenc in specification is lower than specification difference between Odissey vs CV1.

So how this is not that much difference, and I even didn't mention better AMOLED display differences?

PPD 40% better (higher ress and sharper image)

PPI 25% better (smaller SDE)

Also we don't know some other possible advantages which could be raise up but no one mention it yet.

That is HDMI2.0 and DP 1.4 in combination with AMOLED display could give you full RGB display with chroma 4:4:4 on 90Hz and this is one more plus for better picture but I can0t confirm it yet based on available specs.

What I meant is that many people are already cranking up the PD. The Odyssey shouldn’t be much more taxing at its native resolution than cranking the PD to 1.5 with the Rift.

Lol,

So a mixed reality headset is a Rift killer?

I have a feeling Rift CV2 along with next gen Vive will blow all of these out of the water for what we do. Patience is a good thing. :smilewink:

To be fair though the Odyssey is an ordinary VR headset as I understand it. Several reviewers have remarked that the ”mixed reality” label is kind of misleading in this case.

To be fair though the Odyssey is an ordinary VR headset as I understand it. Several reviewers have remarked that the ”mixed reality” label is kind of misleading in this case.

Misleading because at launch it will be VR only; the difference however is that all the hardware components are there to be able to support mixed reality _eventually_ but most likely aren't ready.

As the Tested video points out, AR becomes VR with a black screen, and VR can become AR with a camera in passthrough. Theoretically all the MR headsets should be able to support both if the software can selectively integrate objects in your environment (which it already is doing to be able to support its positional tracking).

That said, ultimately in the VR/AR/MR arena software is king. This includes both the third party app catalog (most of us here want to at least play DCS and if a headset doesn't do that, isn't nearly as important to us) as well as the supporting features (Asynchronous Time/Space Warp). All the hardware specifications in the world are meaningless unless at the end of the day they have the capability to run software we want to run at a performance level that's acceptable without making us sick. Right now, only Rift and Vive are known quantities.

There's a lot of potential here but the software side will have to be fleshed out before it becomes compelling. Microsoft has a track record of chasing after walled gardens and then abandoning its own efforts because consumers didn't find a reason to buy into their platform.

Everything what I say is based on tech specs which is cruel facts someone like it or not. This part is not my opinion but what I say after it is. In the end Rift is outdated already but still valuable VR to some point to keep it alive Oculus drop the price in half in last year. That fact talking to its self.

... what is good for us consumers what ever VR you chose.

Everything what I say is based on tech specs which is cruel facts someone like it or not. This part is not my opinion but what I say after it is. In the end Rift is outdated already but still valuable VR to some point to keep it alive Oculus drop the price in half in last year. That fact talking to its self.

But that's true of every technology. Shortly after it ships, it becomes outdated quickly. 980Ti came out two years ago. While it's still serviceable, we can all agree that it's out dated. CV1 came out March 2016 so that's 1.5 years ago. So again, it's very serviceable and ready for the next generation upgrade.

And I'm pretty sure they haven't been sitting on their hands play games this whole time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they have been advancing the technology like any other company would.

And capitalism *forces* vendors to react to market and consumer sentiments. Which is a good thing. So I wouldn't draw conclusions based on sale prices. And there is no clear-cut successor to the Rift that is shipping right now.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Pre-ordered.

I’ve demo’ed the Rift and Vive. I bought the Pimax and returned it. This unit sounds like what I’ve been waiting for. I’ll let you know when it arrives.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Now to decide between a Vega64 and a 1080ti because I don’t think a pair of 290s is going to run the new HMD.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Now to decide between a Vega64 and a 1080ti because I don’t think a pair of 290s is going to run the new HMD.

Well 1080ti period.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: