Samsung Odessey VR (release next month)

Fred00

Well 1080ti period.

:thumbup:

I second that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the 1080ti just makes the most sense. The card has to have a waterblock installed so I'm leaning towards this one as it matches my Asus C6H motherboard.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126202

Unfortunately it's out of stock everywhere right now. I may have to get one of the other blocked offerings if the Asus isn't available when my HMD comes in.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Please post a review once you get it!

Indeed, will be curious to see how this works out. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This Zotac became available this evening while I was comparing cards. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500426

It was the best price card with great reviews, so I bit. Considering that the initial retail price of a 1080ti was $699 then one with a EK waterblock for $819 isn't bad.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

• 4 weeks later...
My advice (for what it's worth) do not buy one of these microsoft backed headsets for DCS without first hearing from ED. Take a look at this:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/porting_guides

It looks very much like another store front requirement with no support for steam apps, Oculus apps or even standalone apps unless they are from the windows store.

My understanding is Steam VR support will be added to the WMR devices by Christmas. I'm assuming this means DCS will support these headsets, but I'd love some clarification before I buy an Odyssey.

Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, i5-7600K 3.8GHz, GA-H270-HD3, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1

Yes. That was announced after I made that post. I think waiting is the safest option though.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

PC Flight simming might be asking a lot from a windows mixed reality headset.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

PC Flight simming might be asking a lot from a windows mixed reality headset.

Why do you say that? The Odyssey's resolution is higher than Vive/Rift and inside out tracking is fine for sims.

Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, i5-7600K 3.8GHz, GA-H270-HD3, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1

I received this response from ED about WMR headsets (I asked about Odyssey): "We do not have clear plans to support this device". :cry:

I think the WMR head mounted displays will sell well and ED needs to integrate them to keep us happy ;) It don't think it is very difficult. WMR can use the Rift and Vive already now.

I will buy one for sure, it's nice to have a virtual desktop anyway and good for 3D movies too and the prices will be dropping soon with so many competitors.

Just received shipping confirmation. Woohoo!

I sure hope this thing doesn’t suck...

Just received shipping confirmation. Woohoo!

I sure hope this thing doesn’t suck...

Look, major question was how this inside out tracking is working and according some other WMR already released there is no different in practice use from Rift maybe just slightly better is Vive but it come with price.

Everithing else is better then the competition in other WMR. Only backdrown is still no support for SteamVR so I'm afraid we will be wait little more on this review.

Cheers m8, good luck with it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to enjoy your DCS soon as possible.

:pilotfly:

Samsung Odyssey IP inbound, waiting for the winter call from ED to purchase a few of their study sims! :pilotfly:

Sorry m8 I don't get it what you are saying. Could you be more specific pleas. :thumbup:

It is me I just don't understand what you are trying to say. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers m8.

Sorry m8 I don't get it what you are saying. Could you be more specific pleas. :thumbup:

It is me I just don't understand what you are trying to say. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers m8.

I ordered a Samsung Odyssey and it shipped in the mail to me. Now waiting for Eagle Dynamics to release support for it and microsoft mr hmd's before I purchase some DCS aircraft. :pilotfly:

Should work out of the box, as it is supported by steamVR. (At least if I read the press releases correctly).

Not quite yet it is not, unless maybe you are a developer.

Don B

I ordered a Samsung Odyssey and it shipped in the mail to me. Now waiting for Eagle Dynamics to release support for it and microsoft mr hmd's before I purchase some DCS aircraft. :pilotfly:

Got it.

Microsoft promise support for SteamVR so DCS will do nothing and this should work in same way as Vive true SteamVR.

Unfortunately Microsoft stil working on SteamVR support for WMR. I hope will be released soon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-vr-support-for-windows-mixed-reality-is-right-around-the-corner/

Edited by wormeaten

Got my Samsung Odyssey HMD in, hoolyyy balls it's impressive!! Can't wait for support!!

Are you coming from a CV1 where you're able to provide a comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I would be curious how the positional tracking and hand tracking is as well.

Don B

I don't own a CV1 but I have used it and I would say the improvement is significant and I expect cockpit displays and hud clarity to benefit from the 1.7x pixel increase.

Besides better visuals, it is very comfortable and I forget its even on.

The sound quality is great (coming from someone with Hifiman phones, Lyr 2 and multi-bit dacs).

The tracking is flawless and spot on, the Halo demo was a good at displaying the accuracy, it feels one to one with your movements and wielding the dual smg's felt like they were actually in your hands, blown away by this. Walking and movement was perfect.

The installation is easy as can be, plug in the hdmi and usb 3.0 cable, done.

Once support releases, it will be the highest fidelity headset on the market.

Edited by stryker7314