Prolonged firefight

NakedSquirrel

Has anyone found a smooth/convenient way to make infantry firefights last longer than a few minutes in DCS?

I would like to make scenarios where ground troops are engaged with enemy, but if I place or move an enemy group to a friendly unit, they destroy them within a few minutes.

Is there way to significantly reduce their skill, or to have them fire wildly at each other?

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Distance will slow down the kill rate as it reduces accuracy as well as setting them all to 'average' skill. You could use a trigger to spawn reinforcements on top of the existing unit after it suffers a certain amount of damage or dies altogether, or just put it on a set time after a flag.

Edited by Ghostrider142

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

I worked around this by just respawning the group when it died using moose.

There would be a few minutes where there would be nothing happening (because the spawned troops are moving to the engagement zone) but for the most part you saw consistent tracer rounds and a firefight from above.

Developer of Kaukasus Insurgency - a customizable Dynamic PvE Campaign with cloud hosting and stats tracking. (Alpha)

http://kaukasusinsurgency.com/

• 4 weeks later...
I worked around this by just respawning the group when it died using moose.

There would be a few minutes where there would be nothing happening (because the spawned troops are moving to the engagement zone) but for the most part you saw consistent tracer rounds and a firefight from above.

Did you find a script to keep a group dead after players start engaging?

The trouble is, even on low skill, firefights only last a few minutes.

(I also try my best not to move ground units, because it murders MP servers.)

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

I'm really no expert at mission editing/scripting etc, but one idea that comes to mind is to artificially 'simulate' the battle until such a time that you're ready for units to start getting killed, and so allowing the battle to eventually come to an end.

This can be achieved by making the opposing groups 'invisible' to each other (so they won't actually shoot each other), and also assign each group a waypoint action of firing at a point in the vicinity of the opposing group - (making it appear like they are actively firing at each other).

Wait of course, even more simple: how about making both opposing groups immortal? (which probably ought to be done in the idea above too).

They can then happily fire at will at each other but nobody dies until the almighty judge (you) flips the switch and turns them into mere mortals again.

Advanced (Waypoint Actions)->Perform Command->Immortal

Advanced (Waypoint Actions)->Perform Command->Invisible

Advanced (Waypoint Actions)->Perform Task->Fire at Point

Trouble is, this is all configured at design-time within the mission editor. I'm not yet sure whether these attributes can then be changed at runtime via scripting.

I know I've seen some code in MIST for manipulating waypoints.

In theory I reckon it's possible to simply delete those waypoints/actions thus removing the unit's immortality...?

you ll run out of ammo quite fast... I did not do it but I had an Idea... thorugh event handler... or something. When they start firing... after 10 secs, they stop firing (and the opponents too). after 30 secs... you activate them again... and so.. I may be give a try.

Edited by ESAc_matador

There is a script by MBot. If a unit gets hit, the group stops firing for a certain time before it starts shooting back. Maybe that can help.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107635

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I could have sworn there was a way to give AI vehicles unlimited ammo in a checkbox or something...

The "fire at point" command for a waypoint seems like it might do the trick for this sort of thing.

I'm a little annoyed that the units don't actually shoot anywhere in the radius (they shoot directly at the point even when you give a radius.) so I need to cue or manipulate waypoints... so they look a little more convincing and shoot at more than one spot.

I had trouble getting the units to re-arm. Is there a scripting function you have to add to the ural?

I've used a large zone and activated/de-activated the AI depending on whether or not an aircraft of the right type was present. I was building scenarios where medevac helos were landing very close to hot LZs. I gave up on actual foot soldier type infantry; they simply run at each other until they're thoroughly mixed up. I kept light armor engagements sorta dynamic with a mixture of balanced opponents, range, and respawn when dead at a certain percentage. They would turn on and off repeatedly and maintain a fun level of 'splosions, tracers, and fire.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060