DCS: F/A-18C Mini-Updates

Wags

• ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | SEA Radar Mode

Although we have had the general MAP Air-to-Ground radar mode available for some time, we will soon introduce the SEA A-G mode. This mode allows the radar to detect and track ships out to 80 nm. This is particularly useful for engaging ships with AGM-84D Harpoon anti-ship missiles with specific range and bearing targeting. SEA mode can also be interleaved to display MAP ground returns. When a target has been designated in SEA mode, the targeting pod can also be slaved to the target.

Thank you
The ED team
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | Defensive Systems Update

In an upcoming update for the Hornet, we are pleased to introduce several updates. These include the addition of Semi/Automatic (S/A) and AUTO expendable countermeasure programs, the Airborne Self-Protection Jammer (ASPJ), and jammer effects on the radar.

We hope you enjoy.

The ED team

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | Transmit Designate (TXDSG)

In an upcoming for the Hornet, we’ll be adding the Transmit Designate (TXDSG) option on the Situational Awareness (SA) display. When enabled, it allows you to see the ground designation points and Launch and Steering (L&S) targets for flight members and friendly aircraft on the same Link-16 network.

Available on our e-Shop at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/hornet/ 

DCS World Steam Edition: https://store.steampowered.com/app/411950/DCS_FA18C_Hornet/

We hope you enjoy.

The ED team

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team

In the next update for the Hornet, we will introduce two new AGM-88C HARM modes: Pre-Briefed (PB) and the Pull Back sub-mode for the Self Protect (SP) mode.

The Pre-Briefed mode allows you attack ground-based radars at long range based on a coordinate and target-radar type using either.

Thank you

The ED team

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

In our next big update for the Hornet, we will be introducing the ATFLIR targeting pod.

The ATFLIR is the targeting of choice for US Navy Hornets, and like the current Litening targeting pod, it offers both air-to-ground and air-to-air operations.

While not better or worse than the Litening targeting pod, it is different regarding reticles, field of view and zoom options, action and non-action slewing, and more.

Relevant commands in Controls / F/A-18C Sim / HOTAS category:

Gun Trigger: Space Bar

RAID/FLIR FOV Select Button: i

Radar Elevation Up: =

Radar Elevation Down: -

Sensor Control Switch Left: RALT and ,

Sensor Control Switch Right: RALT and /

Throttle Designator Controller: Enter

Undesignate/Nose Wheel Steer Switch: s

Thank you

The ED team

• Like 23

• ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | Coupled Autopilot Mode

Coming in our next big update for the Hornet, the Coupled Autopilot mode allows the aircraft to automatically fly to a set location.

This can be a waypoint, TACAN station, or target (TGT) location when in AUTO delivery mode.

When paired with the AUTO waypoint function, it also allows hands-off navigation when flying through a series of waypoints.

When in Coupled Mode, the course line to the set location may also be adjusted.

Thank you

The ED team

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | New Radar Modes

In the next big update for the Hornet, we will add two, new radar modes: Wide Auto-Acquisition (WACQ) and SPOT.

The WACQ mode has both a fixed 6-bar, 30-degrees (60-degrees total) of azimuth at 10 nm range and an uncaged mode that allows the TDC to slew the space-stabilized scan center. SPOT mode enables you to designate a location within the tactical area of the air-to-air radar display and depress and hold the TDC to initiate a 22-degree search centered on the TDC location.

Key Commands from Controls / F/A-18C Sim / HOTAS:

Sensor Control Switch – Fwd: Right Alt + ;

Sensor Control Switch – Left: Right Alt + ,

Throttle Designator Control (TDC)) – Depress: Enter Undesignate/Nose Wheel Steer Switch: Right Alt + Space

Thank you

The ED team

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | AGM-84H SLAM-ER

Building upon lessons learned from the AGM-84E SLAM, the AGM-84H SLAM-ER adds greater range, a more effective Man-in-the-Loop (MITL) guidance system, and the ability to create intermediate steerpoints to reach the target.

The missile is armed with an 800 lbs. warhead. The SLAM-ER is a long-rage, precision strike weapon that has a range of 155 nm. The system can be launched at a known coordinate using GPS/INS guidance in fire-and-forget mode, or guide to a coordinate and allow the pilot to manually steer the missile with in infrared seeker to a target of opportunity. MITL also allows attacking a moving target.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/hornet/

Thank you

The ED Team

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | Offset Aim Points

In addition to navigation waypoints (WYPT), any waypoint can also be set as an Off Set Point (OAP) with an assigned Offset (O/S) location. This is a point created in relation to the waypoint in range, bearing, and elevation. The Off Set (O/S) can then be selected as an alternate target point from the OAP reference.

Thank you

The ED Team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | AA Radar Use

Perhaps one of the most complex and confusing aspects of operating the Hornet is correct use of the air-to-air radar. The APG-73 is a mechanically scanned, pulse Doppler radar that is not a magic sensor that detects anything in front of it. Rather, there are several factors that determine what it can detect.

Many of these same principles will also apply to the F-16 radar.

RANGE
It probably goes without saying, but the range setting simply sets the scale of the radar format, it does not affect the actual range at which the radar can detect a contact. If you wish to display a target at 40 nm for instance, you will need to have the scale of the radar set to at least 40 nm.

AZIMUTH
Because the radar searches in front of your aircraft in a cone pattern, with you at the pointy end, contacts left or right of the cone will not be detected. To detect such contacts, you can either increase the azimuth setting of the radar, and thereby increasing your scan volume, or slewing the radar azimuth to the selected location of the contact.

If you increase the azimuth though, recognize that contact updates will be slower. Combined with a low target aging setting, the contact will disappear.

BAR
The bar setting controls the total vertical scan volume of the radar, and this can be 1, 2, 4 and 6 bars in a repeating raster scan. A 1 bar setting provides the fastest contact updates, but the smallest vertical scan volume, whereas a 6 bar setting results in the lowest contact updates but the largest vertical scan volume. Just like the azimuth setting, a large volume can result a dropped contacts when combined with a low target aging selection.

TARGET AGING
If a contact is not detected in the set target ageing time, it will be removed from the radar format. So, if you searching a large volume based on azimuth and bar, contacts can easily disappear from the display because they have aged out.

You may find that 16 or 32 works best for you when searching a large volume.

ELEVATON
Just as with the azimuth setting, the contact will also have to be vertically within the acquisition cone volume of the radar. If a contact is above or below the cone, it would not be detected. To solve this, you can either increase the bar setting to increase vertical scan area or tilt the radar up or down with the elevation control.

PRF
The radar can operate in three pulse repetition frequency, or PRF, modes.

In High mode, the radar is putting out the most energy and is best at detecting closing, high aspect contacts at long range. However, High is greatly limited at detecting low closure contacts that are flying away or perpendicular to you.

Medium mode has less detection range against high closure contacts flying toward you, compared to the High, but it is superior at detecting contacts at low closure rates with lower aspect.

Interleaved alternates High and Medium PRF in each bar of the raster scan and is thus a compromise between the two.

Given this, optimal detection range is based on expected contact aspect / closure rate and then matching that with the best PRF. So, for a likely contact flying at you, select High, for a contact beaming you are away, select Medium, and if you have no idea, go for Interleaved.

NOTCHING
When a contact is below you and flying near-perpendicular to your flight path, there is no Doppler shift difference between the contact and the ground, and the contact can be lost. This is termed the look down Doppler notch.

For optimal detection range and maintaining a track, a look up scenario is your best bet. However, this needs to be balanced with the advantages that a medium to high altitude missile shot affords.

RADAR CROSS SECTION
The Radar Cross Section, or RCS, is the radar return value of the aircraft. These can vary based on shaping, materials, intake shape, and more. For aircraft with no RCS-specific reductions, it often comes down to the general size of the aircraft.

Given this, in general, large aircraft like bombers, tankers, and AWACS, will have a much larger RCS value than a small fighter like an F-16 or MiG-29.

The higher the RCS value of the contact, the further out you’ll be able to detect it.

Datalink
To make things a bit more complicated, let’s also throw datalink into the mix.

When in Latent Track While Scan or Track While Scan modes, the position of friendly, unknown, and hostile contact symbols can also appear on your radar format.

An AWACS datalink contact is indicated as a small diamond that you cannot not lock on to because your radar does not see it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• ED Team

COMING SOON

When performing a cold and dark start up of the Hornet, you will want to perform a JHMCS alignment for best HMD accuracy. This is not though needed for a Hot Start or Air Start.

I hope this video will be useful in understanding the BIT TEST, coarse alignment, and fine alignment process.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

In earlier videos, we looked at the range while search and track while scan radar modes of the Hornet, but today I want to discuss the three RAID submode. These are handy to break out contacts within a radar resolution cell and alert of you contacts around your L&S or STT target. 

We will talk about Scan RAID, RAID SAM, and 1 Look RAID modes.

SCAN RAID

Scan RAID mode is your RAID mode used when in the Track While Scan, or TWS, radar acquisition mode. 

This mode focuses the TWS scan volume into a smaller three-bar, 10 nm by 22-degree area that provides a faster update rate. In addition to providing faster contact updates, may also breakout targets within a resolution cell. 

Once a contact has been designated as the L&S, pressing the RAID/HARM Sequence/FLIR FoV switch on the left throttle activates Scan RAID mode. The B-Sweep line is locked to the L&S azimuth and SCAN RAID appears at the bottom of the attack radar display. 

The scan centers on the L&S and it cannot be adjusted. 

Trackfiles and raw hits continue to be displayed but cannot be designated.

To exit Scan Raid mode, press the RAID switch again, press reset, the L&S is less than 5 nm, the L&S is undesignated, or the L&S moves to the dugout.

RAID SAM

If instead of TWS you have a Single Target Track, or STT, lock and you press the RAID switch, the attack radar will enter RAID situational awareness mode, or RAID SAM. When commanded, a RAID cue is displayed at the bottom of the attack radar display.

When in RAID SAM, the radar interleaves between scanning and the STT tracking functions.  This is displayed as a 2-bar, 20-degree scan and it is centered on the STT target. Unlike Scan RAID, it is only a 5 x 5 nm search area around the target and only raw hits are displayed with their altitude in thousand of feet to the right. The update rate of these hits is lower than the STT and it repeats every 3.5 seconds.

To exit, press the RAID switch again or undesignated. 

One-Look RAID

When 1LookRAID is selected, boxed from the air-to-air radar data sublevel, the radar will automatically perform scans around the STT target. Targets immediately around the STT are displayed as raw hits (bricks). Unlike other RAID modes, the scale of the attack radar does not change; it simply displays raw hits around the STT. These hits cannot be designated.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Dear all,

Per the change log today, we continue to work on the Hornet, although the bulk of our modern day, fixed-wing aircraft dev resources are now on the Viper. The biggest tasks for the Hornet are ACLS and Approach mode ATC. Once these are further along, I look forward to providing an instruction video.

Kind regards,

Wags

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

In this DCS: F/A-18C Hornet video, we’ll look at the auto throttle control in approach mode. In addition to the Auto Throttle Control (ATC) Cruise mode, in which the aircraft maintains the set airspeed, the ATC Approach Mode will maintain the set angle of attack when the aircraft is configured for landing.

This allows landing approaches with your hand off the throttle and instead controlling AoA with just the stick pitch of the aircraft; the flight control system will automatically adjust the throttles to maintain the set AoA.

Most often used in Case III recoveries, this is a particularly useful features when combined with the upcoming Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) for fully automated landings. For this demonstration, we’ll pick up a Case III just prior to 10 miles and use the ATC in approach mode to recover.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

As has mentioned a few times over the past few months, most of the team that were assigned to the Hornet have moved their focus onto the Viper. However, we’ve still have staff on the Hornet with the focus on completing the Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) and correcting bugs. Please see our change logs for the long lists of corrected Hornet items.

Following early access exit, development will certainly not cease. When development resources allow, we all plan some additional changes and improvements regarding:

• MSI tuning and some functions
  • Radar tuning
  • Flight model and FCS tuning
  • ATFLIR tuning including offset logic
  • HARM tuning
  • Flight Director Mode
  • Static MUMI Page
  • GBU-24 auto-pilot
  • TALD

We also hope to add the Mk-77, Multiple Fuze Types, IAM Terminal Settings, Loft Mode IAMs, and GEN-X, but these rely on tasks outside of the Hornet.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 11

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Dear all,

To better support carrier operations, we plan to add changes to the Hornet kneeboard for the May Open Beta that will include:

• ATC radio frequency
  • TCN channel
  • ICLS channel
  • Link-4 frequency
  • BRC
  • Final heading
  • Wind over deck

Press "K" to view the kneeboard.

Kind regards,

Wags

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

In this DCS: F/A-18C Hornet video, we’ll discuss the ADM-141A Tactical Air Launched Decoy, otherwise referred to as the TALD. The TALD includes Luneberg lenses that can be configured for different Radar Cross Sections, or RCS. In the case of the Hornet, the RCS will match. 

TALDs can be carried on stations 2, 3, 7, and 8 on BRU-42 racks with up to three TALDs on each rack. TALDs are listed in the Mission Editor in AG Missiles category.

Upon release, winglets unfold from the decoy and allow the TALD to glide. Naturally, range will depend on altitude and airspeed as it is an unpowered system.

TALDs can be used to create false targets for both surface-to-air and air-to-air hostile radars. This is a great tool for suppressing enemy air defenses and giving enemy fighters false targets to sort through.

In this example, we have an SA-11 SAM site off our nose, and we’ll release four TALDs for it to engage while we then engage the transmitting radars with AGM-88 HARMs. 

We’ll select AG master mode and on the left DDI we can see 141 at the top of the Stores page for the ADM-141A TALD. Once selected, we can see that we have four loaded, two on each wing. TALDs are released in Manual mode and indicted by the reticle on the HUD. To change the selected station, press the STEP button.

To release a TALD, press the weapon release button on the control stick. We’ll release all four to keep the SA-11 busy.

We’ll bring up the HARMs and engage the SA-11 TELARs in pre-Briefed mode. As the SA-11 engagement radars tracks the TALDs, the HARMs will make short work of the target.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Dear all,

As was mentioned in a Viper Mini-Update yesterday, we have also internally implemented multiplayer datalink sharing of radar contacts over the datalink of valid track targets between Hornet players. Earlier, this was limited to only STT targets. This essentially allows players to run radar silent and maintain SA based on flight member datalink sharing.

Attached are a couple of images of this in action with myself and BN. For targets that we both see, you’ll note both bottom and top HAFU symbols, for targets that are outside my scan frame that BN is sending me, they just have the bottom HAFU.

The next step is to implement this for the AI. Once both network and AI track sharing is complete and fully tested, we look forward to bringing to an Open Beta.

Kind regards,

Matt

Screen_220624_105937.jpg

Screen_220624_110008.jpg

Screen_220624_110013.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Mini-Update

Following some time off, I’d like to update you on current Hornet tasks and priority tasks following those.

Current tasks include:

• Following the substantial update to the Viper flight model and FLCS, the team is now focused on the Hornet flight model and FCS. In parallel, important changes are being made to the landing gear and how it behaves at touchdown / touch and goes. This is the primary Hornet task.
  • Correcting AGM-84D, AGM-84E, and SLAM-ER behavior.
  • GPS-weapon using TOO engagement behavior.
  • Incorrect Velocity Vector confinement error.
  • New and improved pilot model.

Following the above, priority items include:

• In parallel with the Viper, tuning air-to-air performance including look-down and search to bug target delay.
  • UFC BU page.

Please note that this is not a 100% inclusive list, but rather the more important highlights.

Kind regards,

Wags

• Like 27
  • Thanks 18

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

In this DCS: F/A-18C Hornet video, we’ll look at some of the changes coming to the Electronic Warfare, or EW, page.

This consists of new ALR-67 symbols and enhancement. It’s important to understand that enhancements are regarding an existing emitter contact on the EW display, they cannot be displayed independent of an emitter symbol. Let’s get started.

First, we have a new symbol for Early Warning Radars, or EWRs. These are the large, low-frequency radars that operate independently of a SAM site. These now appear as stylized radar dish.

Another new symbol is for radar-guided anti-aircraft artillery units like ZSU-23-4 or Gepard. This appears as a bent line with two protruding lines on the top.

Now let’s look at some of the new symbol enhancements. First is an open-X symbol that will surround an emitter symbol that is also jamming.

If the FLIR is slaved to an emitter on the EW page, a circle will surround the correlated symbol.

When a HARM is handed off to emitter also on the EW page, a staple will be drawn below the EW symbol indicating the two are correlated.

If an EW symbol is correlated with a friendly radar contact, a hemisphere will appear above the symbol. If, however, the radar contact is ambiguous, it will appear as a staple above the symbol.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
  • ED Team

DCS: F-16C and F/A-18C Velocity Radar Modes Update (COMING SOON)

VSR mode is a new Combined Radar Mode, or CRM, or the Viper radar that can provide additional detection range of nose-on aspect targets. VSR interleaves High Pulse Repetition Frequency, or HPRF, with Medium Pulse Repetition Frequency, or MPRF, but it does not support Situation Awareness Mode, or SAM. The HPRF acts as an alert scan in which the target is detected along with its angle and velocity. The following MPRF scan determines range information. Note that this will only be effective when the nose of the target is in high aspect to you. Once a target is detected in VSR, it can be designated and tracked as a Single Target Track, or STT.

This can be a useful mode to detect and lock onto high aspect targets at greater ranges than possible in Range While Search and Track While Scan CRM modes.

VS mode in the F/A-18C works quite a bit differently. When selected from the radar format page, VS mode provides the most powerful radar mode, capable of detecting targets at the greatest range. However, whereas VS mode will provide target azimuth and closing velocity, no range information is provided. VS transmits only in HPRF with a high average power out setting.

Note that the higher the closing velocity, the higher to the top of the display will the target brick be. Maximum closure speed is 2,400 knots at the top of the display.

Target returns are presented on the b-scope as velocity versus azimuth. Again, it does not indicate range. If there is insufficient target closure, it will not be detected and displayed. As such, VS will only detect targets that are nose-on aspect. If the target is in high aspect, VS is only marginally affected by look down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2