Hi Def Wide Screen Monitor HELP

I guess the next step is to try eVGA's tech support. Sigh.

Rich

Rich:

Where did you get the monitor from? Maybe you can get someing thats more compatable to running a PC on... Is the monitor an LCD or Plazma ???

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Blaze,

It's an LCD and I got it at Sears. I can bring it back, if I need to. Hoping that won't be necessary. In researching this, there are a number of issues with overscan on a variety of HD TVs. Hoping to find an answer somewhere.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

:huh: could you post a picture that shows your problem?

Sure. Click to see a 1280x721 BMP format (BMP because the JPEG algorithm makes it look even worse) reduction of the original:

Fuzzy_Text-thumb.bmp

What gets me is that images (such as the photo to the right) are crisp. It's text and graphics in browser windows, etc that are anything but crisp.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I know this isn't much help.. but now I'm sure it's a resolution issue with your card < -- > TV. - I'm leaning towards TV side....

I just purchased a sceptre 22" widescreen. It's native res is 1680x1050 and look absolutely beautiful. but it can "upscale" to 1080i @ 60hz.

Graphics and everything else look great.. but text is beginning to look exactly what is happening to yours when I try 1920x1080

I also have a 1080i Mitsubishi 50" Rear Projection TV and does what yours is doing (but not as bad)

(my MS media center is hooked up to it and looks great..., but once I exit out of media center and view windows.. it's similar).. I ended up just staying within the MS MediaCenter shell and giving up on using it as a PC monitor..(and it supports a wide range of resolutions...)

<some thoughts.....>

perchance.. do you have another vid card you can slap in there ?

...are you sure this isn't a SDTV/EDTV?

Your symptom look exactly like a "upconvert" scaling that some of these tv's do... (I know this was asked a few posts ago)

I pretty sure it's not a overscan issue, because then everything else would get a ghosting effect. (your text flicker a bit?) I tried powerstrip on my 1080i TV to try and compensate and it didn't work... (but then powerstrip didn't have the timings for my tv and I had to manually enter them).

Thanks,

Brett

I know this isn't much help.. but now I'm sure it's a resolution issue with your card < -- > TV. - I'm leaning towards TV side....

<some thoughts.....>

perchance.. do you have another vid card you can slap in there ?

Unfortunately, no. My board is PCI-E and this is the only card I have.

...are you sure this isn't a SDTV/EDTV?

Your symptom look exactly like a "upconvert" scaling that some of these tv's do... (I know this was asked a few posts ago)

It's Toshiba's 32HLC56. It's HD or claims to be.

I pretty sure it's not a overscan issue, because then everything else would get a ghosting effect. (your text flicker a bit?)...

That's what's been driving me crazy. I figured overscan would affect everything, not just text. So a resolution issue? I need to find a way to get 1366x768 with the right timings? BTW, no text flicker that I can tell.

Thanks for the info.

Rich

_____

Ironhand,

I think the images look crisp because unlike text if some pixels are not aligned properly the human eye will be decieved and not notice it. This is because contrast and colour difference from 1 pixel to another doesn't differ much but displaying text is different.

This is definitely the resolution set by video card differing from native resolution of the screen. It might be though that either the video card or the TV are bit faulty and not running the selected resolution properly.

Anyway, sorry I wasn't of any help the first time ;) and sorry if I am of no real help this time round also :D

No longer active in DCS...

Thanks, Kuky. It probably is tied to the resolution. I've tried playing with the resolution through Powerstrip but without any luck. I can get 1366x768 but the results are worse than what I have now. Unfortunately not only does the resolution have to be right but all the timings as well. Anyway, text remains clear while images are sharp. You may not be able to tell in my sample image but the individual hairs in the photo are crisp and distinct. That's why I find the whole issue bewildering.

Bflagg,

I hooked up another computer (a cheap Dell using a graphics chip of some sort) and the issues remain the same. So it's likely the TV and not the card. Or that's my assumption. Otherwise I would expect some sort of change either for the better or the worse.

Geesh. What ever happened to plug and enjoy? :)

Rich

_____

The spec say HDTV compatible... that usually is a indication of upscaling...

but 720p resolution should work..since that is close to it's native resolution.

My ATI Control panel has that option to turn on in the available resolutions...

What happens when you go to 480p? Besides the fact everything will now be large.. will text now become very clear?

If that is the case.. the it's the TV and it cannot handle HDTV resolutions generated by a computer properly. Remember.. a TV signal is dramatically different than a Computer Video signal and things happen between all the different manufactures...

I too also considered a large sceen tv in place of a monitor... but get coming

accross the 1368x768 native resolution issue....and remembered by 50" HDTV issue...... So I opted for the monitor I got...

The only other thing I can say is check out projectors....

Thanks,

Brett

Bflagg,

No, 720p isn't really any better, just bigger so easier to read. Certainly not sharp and clear.

I may be incorrect but every HD monitor I've seen has said that it's HD compatible, since it can't generate the HD signal itself. This TV has no turner--either NTSC or ATSC. But you're certainly right in that TV signals are very different from what a computer generates. I suppose it all depends on how the manufacturer decides to handle each. There may only be a few manufacturers making LCD displays--I read somewhere that Sharp is responsible for a lot of the 1366x768 displays out there--but what's behind them making the "picture" certainly varies to a far greater degree.

I'll play around with it a bit more. But if nothing improves, I'll return the Toshiba and go back to my 20" LCD. It's may be small but it's already paid for. :) Perhaps someday when I have more money to throw at the problem...or more patience...

Rich

_____

just a side note...

for the amount of cash you dropped on the 32".. a 24" monitor would be within that same price range...(a few have component, dvi, vga, and hdmi all in one).

which should solve both your pc and tv needs if your willing to accept a 24" widescreen ($700 - $1500 avg)

Thanks,

Brett

Hey Ironhand,

does your monitor have by any chance setup page in which you can adjust image by fine tunning height, width and strech?

I just remembered that when I bought my first LCD screen even after I set native resoution, the text was still looking crappy, just ike yours... then "eureka" for me :) ... I figured out there is "auto setup button" on the monitor... I hit that and it was all good then.

I know this might sound silly to suggest but maybe, just maybe... this might be the issue?

Good thoughts guys but there's no auto-config button on this puppy and changing the height, etc doesn't make a difference. As much as I'd like to keep this thing, I don't think it's in the cards. I'll play with it a bit more tomorrow, when I'll have some time. I really like the display size but...

Rich

_____

Maybe a dump question (but who knows...):

Had you used a similar Tool like the one in the NVIDIA control panel?

It solved the the same problem that i had with my homebiult videobeamer.

Not a dumb question at all. I've been all through my nVIDIA control panel and never seen a menu like that. I've used both the new and old style menus. Where do you find that?

Rich

_____

Not a dumb question at all. I've been all through my nVIDIA control panel and never seen a menu like that. I've used both the new and old style menus. Where do you find that?

Rich

I use the Forceware-version 93.71

Edit:I have to say that my projektor is built from old parts of an rear-projektion TV, and had forced the nvidea control to detect it as HDTV.

Ironhand, it's not the height adjustment that needs to be set, but the width. Pixels need to be aliged by fine tunning the possition of the diplayed pixel with the actualy physical pixel on the monitor.

I feel pretty confident this is where your problem lies.

I use the Forceware-version 93.71

Edit:I have to say that my projektor is built from old parts of an rear-projektion TV, and had forced the nvidea control to detect it as HDTV.

Interesting. I don't have that on my nVIDIA menu. Mine goes from Color Correction directly to nVIDIA Display which is where I find my TV, if I hover over it.

Kuky,

I'd played with both width and height, since the fuzziness looks like a duplication of the text slightly above and to the left of the "main" text. As I said, it made no difference to the text quality. Sure wish it had.

Rich

_____