Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Cyph3r

Its a little sad that you cannot change the handles in my opinion. I wonder why this had not been considered while this was the case for the stick? Not sure, but many people might want to buy extra handles which match the aircraft they prefer flying for the little extra realism. I know, then one might argue that you would also need to switch the "console" covers as well to match the left console of your favorite aircraft... But I guess you have to stop somewhere. ;)

However, I think modular handles whould make sense since your hands will be there all the time. Currently, I am thinking how I possibly could use this throttle to make it work similarly as the warthog throttle for "maximum realism" in the A10. Problem for the warthog throttle is that it might be quite "unique" with the airbreak swich, the boat switch and the china hat (ok, this one could be handled by the 2 way switch at the bottom right side of the handle, but I dont see a possibility to mimic the boat switch and the airbreak switch "properly" with this throttle) In that case I would love to buy another pair of handles that are for the A10 (or insert any other aircraft here)

Even if there are no imminent plans to offer extra throttle handles it might be a good idea to have this possibility in the future for this unit? Not sure how hard it would be to make a good modular system? Isnt the Warthog Throttle modular as well? - Besides the fact that no other handles were ever offered? Changing your plans to make your stick base plug and play with the Warthog Stick was a very good idea and was very well received within the community. I know its probably not an easy task, but how about making this throttle compatible with the Thrustmaster Warthog Handles? (if they are modular...)

Edited by Ayindi

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I think modular handles whould make sense since your hands will be there all the time. Currently, I am thinking how I possibly could use this throttle to make it work similarly as the warthog throttle for "maximum realism" in the A10. Problem for the warthog throttle is that it might be quite "unique" with the airbreak swich, the boat switch and the china hat (ok, this one could be handled by the 2 way switch at the bottom right side of the handle, but I dont see a possibility to mimic the boat switch and the airbreak switch "properly" with this throttle) In that case I would love to buy another pair of handles that are for the A10 (or insert any other aircraft here)

Yes, unfortunately this throttle layout is not very good for western aircraft like A-10, F-15, F-16, F-5, etc.

Most western aircraft use the same 3-position airbrake switch logic that A-10 uses. Most of them also have some kind of 3 - position mode switch on the throttle. You can try to assign different buttons or hats to these functions, but then you will run out of buttons.

Of course you can't please everyone and it's not a replica of anything, but I think the guys went too "generic" with this design. Or maybe it's a cost cutting measure. But I don't think it's good enough to replace my Warthog throttle.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Agree it doesn't fit Western aircraft very well (which are ironically the aircraft that we are getting full fidelity simulations for).

For the guy who wants modular grips, keep an eye out for VKB's throttle release...they have already stated theirs will be modular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Agree it doesn't fit Western aircraft very well (which are ironically the aircraft that we are getting full fidelity simulations for).

For the guy who wants modular grips, keep an eye out for VKB's throttle release...they have already stated theirs will be modular

"keep an eye out". Sadly, that pretty much sums up the extent of VKB's impact on the market. I'd love to buy VKB but like you said one can only keep an eye on VKB's products.

It suffers from delays after delays and should they succeed in putting a product on the market it's in such small batches that only a small sniper minority gets the provilege. Their forum and messages are mostly ignored.

It might not be perfect (although it does sound damn close to me) but Virpil gets their quality products online and in decent batches, Virpil gets their products sold and manage to do so with a great communication and finally think globally in term of sale and put efforts to reach every consumer.

VKB just barely consider Europe. It's as if they don't care. "We've got such a good margin on our product it doesn't matter, people are so eager for it anyway, we should care for our business, not our consumers" is the message I get from VKB's communication, eventhough I know that's certainly not their intentions. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to buy VKB, but let's be realistic, it won't be out for quite a long long while still. They're gifting away market shares that will be very, very hard to re-acquire over the years.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"keep an eye out". Sadly, that pretty much sums up the extent of VKB's impact on the market. I'd love to buy VKB but like you said one can only keep an eye on VKB's products.

It suffers from delays after delays and should they succeed in putting a product on the market it's in such small batches that only a small sniper minority gets the provilege. Their forum and messages are mostly ignored.

That certainly can be frustrating, plus all the different revisions. I have had a new Gunfighter sitting here since March/April, waiting on the new MCG Pro grip. Finally got to pre-order it, for hopefully a sometime in later November delivery.

In the meantime I also ordered and have received, and am currently flying with , the Virpil gimbal, stick, desk-mount and extension brackets. They had delays also, but did get their products out after a few weeks delay. And I expect they will get this throttle out soon as well.

I sure am enjoying flying with the Mongoose!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 weeks later...

This throttle looks absolutely fantastic

Is it already available??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

A major downfall of the T-50 stick, IMO, in a non-mechanical way is the fact that it requires rear mounting...which means that anyone with an existing pit for any other stick needs to come up with some type of custom fabrication of an adapter to mount it into place. I wish a T-50 to Warthog adapter was available for purchase.

The throttle is so well thought out to have the same size and mounting holes as the Warthog, I wish the stick base was the same.

Edit: Shoot, I meant to post this in the stick thread. Sorry!

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

A major downfall of the T-50 stick, IMO, in a non-mechanical way is the fact that it requires rear mounting.

I fail to see the logic behind this.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

I fail to see the logic behind this.

How many people have built cockpits where the stick is mounted from the bottom already? Many thousands of people? Anyone who owns a simpit prior to the T-50 release would have a cockpit pre-fabricated to support bottom mounting on the stick base because that is how the Warthog and BRD's are designed.

Now a new top-tier stick is released that requires rear mounting only (the ONLY one, to my knowledge, that does so)..so that means this stick can't be mounted the way those thousands of sticks were mounted previously in the cockpits people currently have. If there was an adapter available, sure it's a non issue..but there isn't one. Not sure how you "fail to see the logic" behind this :doh:

There was a long discussion in the comments section of the Mudspike review about how to jigger one up for ourselves, but it's such a PITA to try to put fabricate an adapter for the user with little to no equipment to do so at their disposal. I could make my own 3D design (which I don't even know how to do) and then sent it to ShapeWays to have them print it in metal for me for $100...but it's not guaranteed to fit and the lead times aren't quick. Seems like a high risk waste of my time. VPC already offers adapters for the desk mounts to support other sticks (i.e the TMW linked below), I am simply saying it would be nice if they offered the opposite via an adapter that would support other forms of cockpit mounting (bottom mounting cockpits) for their stick.

Something like the below adapter, but where the U-shaped mount want designed to attach to the rear mounting plate of their stick...and the TMW mounting plate was wrapped to go under the base of the stick for a more "flush" mounting.

https://virpil.by/en/shop/tmw-mounting-plate-base-vpc

I'm not raising a stink about it, I am just saying it's a way for them to have another add-on item and drive more sales of their stick. The throttle is designed so conveniently to be a 1:1 swap with a TMW throttle in any cockpit, I just wish the throttle was the same (or had an adapter to make it the same 1:1 swap with ease).

• Like 1

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

no pinky switch on the outer side of the left throttle? Like the pinky switch in the A-10 for isntance? Feels a bit like wasted space and opportunity. Generally i'd say; if there is space, put something there....you can never have too many switches and buttons!

2 quick questions:

1) if I do some basic math, it looks like there are 48 possible key bindings to the combined base and handle, is that correct?

2) The axis on the back side of the throttle handle (looks like the wheel thingy) does it snap into it's center position, or does it roll smoothly from one extreme to the other?

Much thanks, this thing looks great!

- Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

If one day my TM WH throttle dies, this will be a candidate for replacing it. Unfortunately it's not 100% ideal for flying the A-10C as it misses switches compared to the TM WH right throttle handle. As far as I can see it has only 2 2-way switches where the TMWH has 3, and only one 4-way hat where the TMWH has 2. The VPC throttle has a second 4-way hat but that will be used for the TDC slew.

The base has a good complement of switches and they are located before the throttle levers so they are always accessible. That's a plus. I think that with these switches it's ok to fly the hog, although more buttons/switches on the handle would have been better as they are easier to locate without looking down.

I also like the 2 extra axis controls, and the 3 rotary encoders come in handy.

About the 7 toggle switches, I wonder if they are momentary or maintained. Actually, with the right firmware and configuration tool, that could be user configurable. (they could latch in electronically; but of course that would require LED's to indicate state)

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Different detail in their latest render. :)

The mode rotary encoder was added? Cool.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How many people have built cockpits where the stick is mounted from the bottom already? Many thousands of people? Anyone who owns a simpit prior to the T-50 release would have a cockpit pre-fabricated to support bottom mounting on the stick base because that is how the Warthog and BRD's are designed.

Well, I own quite a few BRD products and the mounting templates have changed from revision to revision, forcing me to do some welding work to accomodate new gear. Inconvenient, sure, but far from being a major downfall.

Now a new top-tier stick is released that requires rear mounting only (the ONLY one, to my knowledge, that does so)..so that means this stick can't be mounted the way those thousands of sticks were mounted previously in the cockpits people currently have. If there was an adapter available, sure it's a non issue..but there isn't one. Not sure how you "fail to see the logic" behind this :doh:

Not many top-tier sticks out there, really, but what I meant was that I failed to see the issue being a downfall of the stick itself. I could not fit a mountain bike in my sedan but it fits nicely into my SUV. Not a problem with the bike or the sedan, for that matter.

There was a long discussion in the comments section of the Mudspike review about how to jigger one up for ourselves, but it's such a PITA to try to put fabricate an adapter for the user with little to no equipment to do so at their disposal.

You mentioned cockpits. I expect simpit builders to be at least somewhat proficient with basic metalworking.

I could make my own 3D design (which I don't even know how to do) and then sent it to ShapeWays to have them print it in metal for me for $100...but it's not guaranteed to fit and the lead times aren't quick.

OTOH, this is way overkill for something like a basic adapter. Seriously, you don't need such advanced equipment for a measly adapter. You just need a sheet of steel and a welder. Heck, I can rig one up without a welder. But 3D printing? Out of metal? No. Just... No... 3D printing is for one-off sophisticated parts like warthog stick mating joint.

Seems like a high risk waste of my time. VPC already offers adapters for the desk mounts to support other sticks (i.e the TMW linked below), I am simply saying it would be nice if they offered the opposite via an adapter that would support other forms of cockpit mounting (bottom mounting cockpits) for their stick.

Now this is something which is hard to argue. It would make total sense to offer an adapter to make it a drop-in replacement. Which makes even more sense given that the throttle is designed to be drop-in compatible with TMWH one. :)

I'm not raising a stink about it, I am just saying it's a way for them to have another add-on item and drive more sales of their stick. The throttle is designed so conveniently to be a 1:1 swap with a TMW throttle in any cockpit, I just wish the throttle was the same (or had an adapter to make it the same 1:1 swap with ease).

Point well taken. But I still don't think this is a major downfall of the product. Rather, this is an oversight on VPCs part which, hopefully, people will draw attention to and the issue will be fixed by an offered adapter.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Quick question, do mounting plate hole sizes match the ones on the TM Warthog throttle? Please, VPC - make sure they do. Thank you!

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

2 quick questions:

1) if I do some basic math, it looks like there are 48 possible key bindings to the combined base and handle, is that correct?

2) The axis on the back side of the throttle handle (looks like the wheel thingy) does it snap into it's center position, or does it roll smoothly from one extreme to the other?

Much thanks, this thing looks great!

- Apache600

1. We added a 5-way mode dial, and you can create additional shift states with the toggles. So there total number of key bindings is... a lot? I'll work out what the theoretical max is!

2. It has a center detent.

If one day my TM WH throttle dies, this will be a candidate for replacing it. Unfortunately it's not 100% ideal for flying the A-10C as it misses switches compared to the TM WH right throttle handle. As far as I can see it has only 2 2-way switches where the TMWH has 3, and only one 4-way hat where the TMWH has 2. The VPC throttle has a second 4-way hat but that will be used for the TDC slew.

The base has a good complement of switches and they are located before the throttle levers so they are always accessible. That's a plus. I think that with these switches it's ok to fly the hog, although more buttons/switches on the handle would have been better as they are easier to locate without looking down.

I also like the 2 extra axis controls, and the 3 rotary encoders come in handy.

About the 7 toggle switches, I wonder if they are momentary or maintained. Actually, with the right firmware and configuration tool, that could be user configurable. (they could latch in electronically; but of course that would require LED's to indicate state)

Any more changes or additions to the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle design would now delay the launch of the throttle. We made some last minute changes based on the comments given around the time of the official reveal, so we're very grateful to the community for helping us finalise the design.

While we hope that the MT-50 Throttle will suit a large number of virtual pilots, for those that it doesn't - we want to assure you we will not stop our developments and maybe one of our future products will be better suited for more specific use cases. :thumbup:

The mode rotary encoder was added? Cool.

Yep :thumbsup:

Quick question, do mounting plate hole sizes match the ones on the TM Warthog throttle? Please, VPC - make sure they do. Thank you!

Yes!

Some new images:

MT-50_Throttle_Post01.jpg

MT-50_Throttle_Post02.jpg

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gonna assume the no response means it's a no go on a stick mounting adapter. While that's disappointing, the new throttle photos look great! Well done.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Gonna assume the no response means it's a no go on a stick mounting adapter. While that's disappointing, the new throttle photos look great! Well done.

I'm trying to keep the discussion in this thread primarily on the throttle and the stick discussion in the other thread so that all the information on each project stays in the relevant place!

I'll bring up your idea with the team :thumbup:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Cyph3r: There was a question in my post:"About the 7 toggle switches, I wonder if they are momentary or maintained."

Yes I admit I forgot the question mark, but I'd still like to know whether the 7 toggles are momentary or maintained.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

@Cyph3r: There was a question in my post:"About the 7 toggle switches, I wonder if they are momentary or maintained."

Yes I admit I forgot the question mark, but I'd still like to know whether the 7 toggles are momentary or maintained.

The 2 toggles alongside the buttons are 2-way latched. the other 4 are momentary. One toggle switch was replaced with a 5-way mode dial that you can see in the images I posted on the previous page :)

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is the "mini-stick" the enhanced/more realistic replica of the WH TDC Slew nipple? Probably a stupid question but just wanted to clarify.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: