Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Cyph3r

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moar pics!

You see why I was asking about how the throttle should be mounted on the desk mount withouth the new support? As I expected the 4 holes don't match but I haven't checked the documentation yet, so I might be missing something.

By using the Tog plate the position is good, I quite like it. I am only worried about the weight: Desk mount + Tog plate + Throttle is quite a lot: 5.9kg! Make sure your table is sturdy enough. Also, that probably explains why their new support is so "skinny".

DSC_0628.JPG

DSC_0627.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG

DSC_0632.JPG

As you can see from the pics of my setup I can't test the throttle in game because my base is still missing (the box near my PC is the grip's tomb since May - 96 days since I've opened the ticket).

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

I haven't plugged the throttle yet, the noise coming from the inside is worring and since I'm not able to fly, what's the point?

Well I'm connecting it just to see if it turns on and to take some pics, then it goes back to the box for ever / ages / many months - until my T-50 base comes back from the repair.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

@Len: thanks mate. I really hope that I won't be screwed by the throttle as well (the noise it does when I move actually scares me). There's a limit to the amount of gaviscon I can ingest..

Last few pics, just to show the backlighting:

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

DSC_0636.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

..and now back to the box, waiting for his brother to come home (no seriously, it's back in his box, near the Base's).

I'm writing some considerations, I'll post them later.

Oh, I forgot to link the buttons test. Some behave in an "interesting" way. Be advised, my webcam sucks.

I'll add more with the considerations I'm writing.

Edited by Karon
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

I noticed some jitter/spike on the Z axis at 3:34 min on the video. I think that this axis doesn't have a hall sensor, must be some kind of potentiometer. It sux if you want to use this scroll wheel for a precise radar antenna elevation.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Yep, I've noticed that as well, that's why I stopped for a moment. Honestly I don't care 'cause I will probably use it to control the zoom (rotor-head here) but I can see why can be annoying.

Another thing I don't like is that buttons are momentary, even the latched ones. This means you have to tell DCS where their position is every time you fire up the sim. NOTE: it might be possible to change their behaviour via software, I haven't checked yet.

I mean,

, 82 buttons (70 in the video, I haven't updated it yet) and it works very well in DCS. Latched buttons are actually very nice to use as long as you code them correctly.
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

What do you mean, Karon?!

"buttons are momentary"....

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

@Lenux

It means that the T2 and T3 buttons which are two position switches will trigger the same button press when switched. Example: the T2 two pos switch will trigger DX button 32 when switched up AND down, but only for one press and not indefinitly. (like on the Warthog Throttle) it simulates a simple button press of the same button every switch up AND down.

This is probably more useful for many games, but I agree you have to get used to it. Sometime it may be useful, sometimes not... I also hope that the behavior can be adjusted with Virpils software.

Long story short:

Switch it up -> DX button 32 is pressed for a short moment

Switch it down -> DX button 32 is pressed for a short moment

It will not hold DX button 32 pressed at least in the default config.

What do you mean, Karon?!

"buttons are momentary"....

As Ayindi said, they send a signal then release it. Just to clarify a bit more, this is my control box (I've already posted it above):

Se how some buttons are "kept pushed" constantly (that's not entirely true code-wise but it's not important now)? Those are the latched or "non-momentary". Other buttons instead send a signal as long as they are pushed. Those are the momentary.

In Virpil's throttle, despite the fact that the 2-way switches hold their physical position, they send the signal just for a few ms, hence behaving as normal pushbuttons.

Is it a bit more clear now? :)

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Hi Karon!

Great overview and photos!

Couple of things: The behavior of the toggles can indeed be adjusted via the software - I will get our engineer to create a write up on the ASAP.

Also can you shoot a message to me via support@virpil.com regarding the rattle you hear?

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks a million, Karon, Ayindi

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Honestly I don't care 'cause I will probably use it to control the zoom (rotor-head here) but I can see why can be annoying.

If the axis is not stable, then the image will annoyingly zoom in/zoom out. You will care.

Check the axis with VKB_JoyTester. When levers, wheels (anything which is an axis) are stationary, you should see only straight lines, with no or very little noise. Check in various positions of the controls.

I got it! The behaviour of the momentary emergency button is brilliant!

Allow me to explain: if you have read my post on reddit, you know that that button is 3-way ON/OFF/ON momentary switch and the Down movement sends two signals, one as it is pushed, another one as it is released. The Up instead sends only one as only as long as is kept in that position. This is brilliant! Why? It is because the Down is engaged as you raise the red cover and is fired again as you release it, this means that it can be bounded in DCS to the toggle that raises the in-game cover and it will actually actuate it as you raise the cover itself and toggle it again as you close it! This is really brilliant and the easiest implementation of a solution to the fact that in-game covers must be opened via a separate key (the other solution is a macro, I guess).

Well played Virpil, call me impressed.

Let me know if you want a quick video (I’m sick today hence the level of my English is even lower than usual).

(PS: I'm still counting the days -97 today- and waiting for my base to be repaired but I'm really impressed).

@Lenux: no prob mate!

@Cyph3r: sent, thanks.

@Seb71: well, it's nothing that some deadzone or curves can't do. I've survived to more than 15 years of pots.

Edited by Karon
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Got mine today, "bricked" it immediately. Cyp3r to the rescue ;)

All going well, impressive build quality at first glance. Need to wrap my head around button config in software (want to change their behaviour to one described by Karon), but I have managed to change led colours, LOL

Calibrated the axes and noticed no jitter anywhere.

Obligatory - was it worth the wait?

As a first impression, hell yes.

First, a couple of pics. I have to admit it looks good.

NjDv0Je.jpg

E0Mad5c.jpg

I've found the problem with my base: as I was guessing, two screws were loose. Problem is, each screw that hold the PCB in place are actually loose. I suggest everyone to check theirs and remember that PCB doesn't like to be stressed so don't overtighten them!

Pics of the PCB and the internals:

gbuyczg.jpg

jRxo9dc.jpg

mqlfq5g.jpg

The second question is: how do I fix it onto the Desk Mount? I'm not the brightest here so maybe you can help me out.

See the position of the 4 screws on the desk mount and the 4 holes on the throttle? Unless I am missing something they can't fit.

J3mMx4x.jpg

TUH0txc.jpg

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Hi Karon,

You're using the wrong mounting plate, .. the one in your pics is for the Warthog Throttle.

You need this one, .. for the Virpil Throttle.

https://www.virpil-controls.by/en/shop/mt-50-throttle-deskmount-plate-vpc

You can see the mounting holes are much further back, .. and you can adjust the position.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Thomasew

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Oh come on, not again. Sorry mate, I don't mean to be rude but the site says it is not required, otherwise I'd have bought it.

EDIT: oh my.. ok, they have changed the website. For a moment I thought I was going crazy.

...aaaand google cache to the rescue!

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-D7BZkTthr8J:https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-desk-mount.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b-ab

They must have changed it overnight 'cause a couple of days ago it was there. So, how should I support my throttle without stressing so much the table (the total of throttle, desk mount and tog plate is 5.9kg)? By paying 20€ for the shipping again?

Picture of the posterity:

SiVPKn6.png

Edited by Karon
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

(PS: I'm still counting the days -97 today- and waiting for my base to be repaired but I'm really impressed).

You have way more patience than I would ever have...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You have way more patience than I would ever have...

Who has said that I still have patience?

I was happy when I found out a couple of nice solution on their throttle, then I realized I've been ****ed again with the adapter. Should I spend 20€ on the delivery again because they have changed the website overnight? Google cache doesn't lie.

Also, I asked Cyph3r if they can send me the throttle plate when (if?) they will ship my base (not for free of course!) but he said they can't. Now I'm really royally screwed. Options are:

- damaging the table (it can't hold 5.9kg and it's not mine → me = tenant);

- buying the adapter and spending 20€ for the delivery again;

- build a support myself (yep, can do, but why should I when I've paid a Desk Mount)?

- do not use / sell the throttle.

I knew it, I should have bought a collective from Komodo. The Δ between the cost of the two will go in Gaviscon anyway.

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Who has said that I still have patience?

I was happy when I found out a couple of nice solution on their throttle, then I realized I've been ****ed again with the adapter. Should I spend 20€ on the delivery again because they have changed the website overnight? Google cache doesn't lie.

Also, I asked Cyph3r if they can send me the throttle plate when (if?) they will ship my base (not for free of course!) but he said they can't. Now I'm really royally screwed. Options are:

- damaging the table (it can't hold 5.9kg and it's not mine → me = tenant);

- buying the adapter and spending 20€ for the delivery again;

- build a support myself (yep, can do, but why should I when I've paid a Desk Mount)?

- do not use / sell the throttle.

I knew it, I should have bought a collective from Komodo. The Δ between the cost of the two will go in Gaviscon anyway.

Well in the case of your stick if it is in for a warranty issue and been there that long, that to me would be totally unacceptable and very concerning. Hope you get everything resolved very soon.

I can't comment on the throttle, but have their stick and it is quite good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Regarding Karon's warranty case - it has already been explained that it was held by Belarus customs for this time (as seen on the tracking details) which unfortunately we do not have any control over. We are in frequent contact with the customs office as of course we're shipping orders out all over the world. His parcel has only just been released to us and will be resolved as a priority.

We've noticed a couple of instances where Belarus customs has caused such issues which is why we moved our service center to Lithuania along side our EU store which has proven to be much faster for everyone involved.

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]