Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Cyph3r

It can be set up as a modifier to create extra button sets in the VPC software :thumbup:

Where is the version of the software that allows you to re-map and custom program buttons? Only the "light" version is on the site available for download.

Thanks!

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the version of the software that allows you to re-map and custom program buttons? Only the "light" version is on the site available for download.

Thanks!

Software has been updated on our sites some days ago. It allows advanced button configuration changes :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Software has been updated on our sites some days ago. It allows advanced button configuration changes :)

Well that certainly was a well kept secret.

:smilewink:

Thanks I will have to check it out here soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There is a pre made profile ("VPC Throttle 5Modes") which sets the rotary dial to "SHIFT" button = 5 x buttons.

BTW: Lack of analog stick if you use it only for sensor slew control, is absolutely no issue - it works really well. I can imagine it might be when used for some sort steering control in a space sim, but I don't do space :)

Edited by mdee

The

shows that the knob already works by default and causes different buttons to send different signals depending on its position. Hence it's already ready to be used without the software (which is great). Of course for further customization you need the software (I haven't tried it yet - I'm happy with the default setting ATM).

Late afternoon I managed to find a solution for my missing stick and did a quick flight. First time after 3 months! I have undusted my 15 years old CH Fighterstick, taped it onto the Desk Mount with Warthog plate and left the Virpil Throttle on a chair. It's quite uncomfortable but amen, I can't complain. I've streamed a few minutes, youtube's still working on it.

So, impressions after a 5 minutes flight:

- detents: not tested, useless for us rotary-wings overlords :P

- the friction is very adjustable but it works as a sum of the two throttles: if you separate them, they will retain only part of the original friction. In other words, the total strenght required to move it the sum of the strenght you should apply to each throttle.

- the buttons are great for controlling the Ka-50's Autopilots, I still have to work on my muscle memory but the position is very good.

I tried to test how reactive and responsive the throttle is and is really good: the movement is fluid and I was able to adjust the collective very precisely almost immediately. I did some maneuvers with AP H off and no AP at all, some hammerhead (or whatever that figure is called) and a barrel roll. Yep, I'm happy about this first test. Both the T-50 Throttle and my ancient CH Fighterstick performed well.

ASAP some more tests and considerations, I might even fire up the F/A-18. I bought it on day-one but never even launched it.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Just playing around with the software and am pretty impressed with the possibilities. :thumbup:

Still trying to understand some stuff, but it gets better.

Only issue I have is that it seems to get a new USB ID whenever I save my changes to the Throttle. So technically it is a new device if I understand it correctly. I added a button press when moving the throttle levers a little forward to be able to go from OFF to IDLE in the F-18. I added logical button 50 and 51 for it and then lost my bindings for the throttle in DCS because it seemed to get a new USB id. (Partly I can understand this since my device "magically" gained two more buttons) However wouldnt it be possible to somehow maintain one USB Id? I am talking about those random rumbers in the xxx.diff files for the control imputs. Yesterday I made my config, today I started up DCS to finish it. Then I decided to play around with config and did the changes mentioned above. Got back to DCS and all my Throttle config was gone. When redoing it, DCS saved the new diff file with a new id different from yesterdays. Elite Dangerous interestingly did maintain my setting, but it seems only to support 32 DX buttons so maybe it did not realize the two new buttons and therefor kept all settings.

Edited by Ayindi

Would be great to have some sort of manual. I am having fun trying things out, but already "bricked it" 2 times ;)

Ive been told that my throttle will go with my desk mount. No plate required. So are they telling us bs now????

They have realised later that it doens't fit. They are offering to sell the adapter free of the delivery charge.

From reddit:

We're currently in the process of reviewing orders to find any who may be effected by this mistake!Anyone who already knows they are effected by this, please get in touch to support@virpil.com.

Xarov has already been offered this!

Send a pm or drop and email to their support, they should be able to help you.

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Reg. T2 and T3 switches default profile behaviour

Default: they act as one momentary button. UP: button A press/release, DOWN: button A press/release

With VPC Light software I could configure them in many ways:

1. 2 momentary buttons. UP: button A press/release, DOWN: button B press/release

2. 1 on/off (latching) button. UP: button A press. DOWN: button A release

3. 2 on/off (latching) buttons: UP: button A press, button B release; UP: button B press, button A release

and all combinations of the above (well, within physical limits of the switch ;).

I've set up mine for option 3, so I can assign switch up to master arm UP and switch down to master arm DOWN etc.

Be aware that you going to "lose" your bindings when reprogramming the throttle via VPC software, but basic understanding of DCS input lua files and simple diff tools can remedy this in no time. Having said that, I'd prefer the VPC software to keep device ID intact after reprogramming, but I am not sure if this is possible.

I have attached VPC software profile which includes option 3 (plus 2 axis triggered button which I configured to fire up when I hit detents).

Disclaimer - if you decide to use this profile, I take no responsibility for any failures, throttle blowing up etc. and I'll not be able to provide any support - use at your own risk. Read VPC software manual before attempting to reprogram your device

VPC throttle_latching_5Modes.rar

Edited by mdee

Some more few early impressions:

Base

- The feeling is still a bit off, after ~20y of sliding throttles I guess it's normal. The throttle is very precise, I like that;

- mid encoder has a different knob, to make it feel different;

- encoders have a commands buffer: they store the amount of input you apply and they keep sending data even after you stop turning them (my Arduino control box doens't do that, for instance). Not a problem at all, just care to avoid overturning them until you get used the behaviour.

Throttle

- the TDC has a quite long range, probably to avoid accidental movement when the pushbutton is used. I like that, it feels really good.

- plenty of 4-way hats, I had no problems using them. They sport a nice "checkering" (complete for the TDC, just horizontal or vertical for the other 4-way hats) which improves the grip. The only hat I'd improve is the one actived by the index finger: the relief is only horizontal, meaning using it vertically is great but it is a bit slippery when used horizontally. A checkering would have been a bit better. Again, not a big deal at all, I'm being picky here.

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Only issue I have is that it seems to get a new USB ID whenever I save my changes to the Throttle. S

Sometimes certain circumstances can change the device ID name - DCS will not recognise the old name mappings to the new name device if that makes sense.

Rather than remap (a pain if you have a lot of airframes) just look at the device names and datestamps in the airframe input folder.... C:\Users\Gizzy\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\mi-8mt\joystick for example...

Select the latest one, hit F2 as if to rename then hit CTRL + C to copy the name. Delete the file. Select the older one and hit F2 as it to rename and hit CTRL + V and the old lua is now renamed to with the latest device name.

Takes a just a second per airframe to do and all your mapping will now work.. :)

Here's an example..

2018-036.jpg

The top was new, the lower old. Copy the new name, delete the file then change the name of the older file to the name of the newer... sorted...

SIGBLOCK.png

I just received my Throttle! :) I ordered April 20th, got a shipping notice last Saturday. According to tracking the package was actually handed over to DPD on Monday and arrived in Germany today (not bad!).

Ok now I have a couple of questions and remarks. Not sure how many people could assist, but I guess people will have the same issues so it might be helpful to others as well.

1. How to adjust the detents? Currently, no detents seem to be set. I know (or at least I think I know) that those screws below the throttle (not the holding screws, but those small silver ones) are used to adjust the detends. I also played around with them a little, but did not get any feedback. Possibly I am just too gentle, but would love some confirmation how to adjust the detents correctly.

2. Button usage: (just a remark) The default windows gamecontroller tool only shows 32 buttons so you might be upset that half of your buttons seem dead. This is NOT the case, just go into the game, they will all work there. Just tested it in DCS

3. What is the current software? There is some version on the EU virpil site, which is 07/08/18, but its still the "light" software which (to my knowledge) is only for calibration and firmware update. Is there already the full config software available?

4. Is there already some documentation available? This might also help with bullet No. 1

5. I guess the 5 way switch to set profiles can be configured only with the Virpil software. So depending on the answer of bullet 3 I would like to know if it makes sense to already sink some time into proper config in DCS with the native device without using the virpil software. I'm just asking because in case the Virpil software creates some virtual device (like TARGET from Thrustmaster does) I probably would need to start again once the Virpil Software is used... By the way without the software switching the 5 way profile switch has no effect.

6. Carefully check the bubble wrap for screws! I accidently threw away some screws that where hidden very well in the bubble wrap and under the dug tape...

What screws i dont find any on my one at all.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Detents - look underneath there is an exposed silver bolt like piece with two sets of two small hex screws next to each other.

Move the throttle back and forth if you can't see them.

If you've never set the detents.

- find small screws, make sure they are not tightened up.

- move the throttle to first desired detent position, tighten 1st set of screws (for both l/r side)

- move the throttle to second detent position, tighten the screws.

Make sure you have very good and correct size hex driver and do not over-tighten the screws.

Reverse the procedure if you want to move detent.

I'll try to get some pics when I am back home.

yeah, a manual is needed.

Edited by mdee

Thanks Gizzy,

I know that :) Its still kind of a pain though (while I must admit after initial tinkering you probably wont change that very often) I simply saved my throttle profile and reload it for the current ID, which is an acceptable workaround and I dont have to do file renaming. Not sure how it behaves for other games though. I think in Elite Dangerous it "survived" the ID change. Maybe it detects the Throttle by the USB Name (VPC-Throttle) and not (additionally) the id and therefor keeps the settings.

And thank you mdee! Looking forward to see the pics :)

What size screw is needed to thread the four attachment points under the base plate? I am fastening the throttle to a plywood mount, and would prefer to use these attachment points, not the corner holes.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brilliant, thanks Baur

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just opened my new throttle. All I can say is ''Wow'' that is pretty damn impressive. Very nice, excellent ergonomics. I disagree with one guy who said it should have buttons between the throttle and prop lever, they would be very awkward, just like the ones on the X55/56. If they're not accessible, they're useless, and more isn't automatically better.

Excellent construction, excellent feel, very sleek and utilitarian. Weighs about 20lbs, maybe more, which surprised me. Very nice, I'll recommend it to all =)

-edit

I have noticed the lower thumb hat doesn't click as solidly in the down position. It does still click, but it's noticeably off from the other three directions and the other hat. I have not noticed any other flaws. Very good construction, and very smooth movements of the throttle levers.

-edit

I wanted to get a 20cm dust cover for my stick, shows it on the general catalog, but when I go to purchase, there is no option for selecting size.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Appreciate that it's still early days, but are we in a position to ask about the analogue mini-stick version?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.