OT: MiG-35 presentation and first ugraded MiG-29 for Russian Air Force [pics]

Kusch

Guest IguanaKing
Ahaaa...:D That's more like it;)

Now seriously, the whole idea of the LCD is natural evolution in the avionics area and there is no question that they will be the backbone of any modern a/c. EFIS are now getting more and more popular even in the general aviation, for example this Cirrus SR-22

Cirrus0001Medium.jpg

and this Diamond DA-42

DSC00034Medium.jpg

They are good but IguanaKing said something very important and unfortunately very true- they are very expensive. As for reliability I could trust the words of another person involved with maintenance since I don't have any experience with avionics. Sure, the word 'multifunctional' is the key but the question is: is it worth paying 100 times more money for something that is not 100 times more functional?

EEEEK!!!! That is the very $27,000 PFD/MFD combination I was referring to! :lol: So far, I am changing about 4 per month due to display problems. One aircraft even had to have its MFD changed 3 friggin' times before it was even allowed to fly again, and that aircraft had less than 90 hours on it. I'm changing PFDs on two different aircraft this week, both with less than 65 hours on them. Another "wonderful" thing about these is that the ADC is not field-calibratable, so if it is out of tolerance according to FAR 43 appendix E...guess what? It has to be removed from the aircraft and sent to the factory to be calibrated. On a $700 altimeter, I just release the baro lock, dial in the necessary correction, and reset the baro lock...DONE...no fuss, and the aircraft is once again airworthy. :D

Thanks for the pic though, Tito, even though it hurts my eyes. :D

Edit: I hadn't noticed before, but the bottom pic is of a DA42 panel with a G1000 system. So far, the G1000 system has been pretty solid.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these (new?) mig-35-frames have a special coat too (I can’t spot any rivet!)

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

I think these (new?) mig-35-frames have a special coat too (I can’t spot any rivet!)

Actualy there are rivets on it, you need some glasses. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Actually Tuckson is on the right track.

The MiG-29M/K airframes have more welded parts than the "baseline" MiG-29 airframe - so a great deal less riveting.

- JJ.

I can swear I can see riveting, even if covered on paint, on the pic with the passive array radar.

I have signaled them with red arrows on the pic below

My PC specs below:

I think although Airliners fly more hours than fighters during the same time period, however, fighters need to endure heavy G in training. I remember during a video clip I watched there is a F18 pilot making a heavy G turn, and the MFD in his cockpit was blinking and actually unreadable.

The MiG-29M/K airframes have more welded parts than the "baseline" MiG-29 airframe - so a great deal less riveting.

Less riveting - not no riveting.

The point is that the M/K airframes do appear much more smooth up close than the baseline one.....i.e. not just down to painwork.

- JJ.

JJ

ah ok I stand corrected. :D

My PC specs below:

Guest IguanaKing
I think although Airliners fly more hours than fighters during the same time period, however, fighters need to endure heavy G in training. I remember during a video clip I watched there is a F18 pilot making a heavy G turn, and the MFD in his cockpit was blinking and actually unreadable.

You shouldn't let what you see in a video convince you that the MFD was actually blinking or unreadable. What you are often seeing is a synchronization error between the refresh rate of the MFD, and the frame rate of the video device being used to record it. ;)

note also the new vertical fin assembly...the leading edge does not continue forward like in previous versions..the one pictured goes into a steep angle when joining the airframe..take a look..

No, those were the chaff/flare dispensers which are now moved between the exhaust nozzles IIRC.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

You shouldn't let what you see in a video convince you that the MFD was actually blinking or unreadable. What you are often seeing is a synchronization error between the refresh rate of the MFD, and the frame rate of the video device being used to record it. ;)

when i am home, i will post it online. I think maybe it is wrong to say that is blinking:doh:

a youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omgAOVp57As

however, mine is much clearer than this one. I think i got it from patrick's video website, but i can't find it there anymore.

nd we got a glimpse of the mig-29KUB in production, that is really cool, not some m2 that has been renamed to mig-35.

Actually the MIG-35 is more Advanced than Sukhoi-30MKI - Mr. Sergei Chemezov: http://www.aeroindianews.com/rosoboronexport_interview.htm

The Mig-35's 3DTVC :

mig29ovtnozzles8il.jpg

The Mig-35's new radar :

barsik.jpg

The 250 kg NIIP Bars-29 'Barsik' is a development of the original Bars-30MKI, intended for the MiG-29. With a relatively low power output of 1 kW, the radar can detect a 5 sq.m RCS target at 100-120 km, lock on to the same at 85 km. The radar can track-while-scan 15 targets and engage 4 of them simultaneously. As with the original, this set combines electronic scanning with a mechanical drive.

elm2052aesa.jpg

Elta's latest EL/M-2052 AESA radar at Aero India. A prototype set has been fabricated and is being installed on a fighter for testing. If successful, this radar could kill just about every other set in the world, in terms of exportability and capability. As expected, a ridiculously high tracking capability of 64 targets, is given. In the air-to-sea mode, the radar is supposed to acquire and track surface targets up to 160 nm away. There are over 1500 T/R modules in this antenna aperture

The Mig-35's cockpit ? :

mig29cockpit9ki.jpg

:pilotfly:

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

The 250 kg NIIP Bars-29 'Barsik' is a development of the original Bars-30MKI, intended for the MiG-29. With a relatively low power output of 1 kW, the radar can detect a 5 sq.m RCS target at 100-120 km, lock on to the same at 85 km. The radar can track-while-scan 15 targets and engage 4 of them simultaneously. As with the original, this set combines electronic scanning with a mechanical drive.

1KW?? I'm not so fimiliar with radars but this seems to me too low. The radar PRV-13(3-coordinate EWR, 10cm wave length) where I served my military service had output power over 2MW. Anyone?

The Mig-35's cockpit ? :

mig29cockpit9ki.jpg

Nope, this is the cockpit of the Romanian MiG-29(9-12A) prototype called Sniper, that has glass cockpit by Elbit systems. This projetc has not been approved by the MiG compnay hence it's not further developped.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Guest IguanaKing

Some of the smaller civilian weather radars I deal with are at least 5KW. 1KW definitely seems too low for a fighter radar.

1KW average power sounds right, they tend to ramp up to some 6KW power depending on radar.

An EWR outputting 2MW is not too surprising.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

How are the radars on the F-16 and Gripen going to keep up with these? I need a serious brief about this new mig. Press is scarce right now. My brother needs to get educated about this, hes on F-16's. :fear:

My PC specs below:

1KW average power sounds right, they tend to ramp up to some 6KW power depending on radar.

An EWR outputting 2MW is not too surprising.

i think that is radiated power, not output power ..

(it includes antenna gain)

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

How are the radars on the F-16 and Gripen going to keep up with these? I need a serious brief about this new mig. Press is scarce right now. My brother needs to get educated about this, hes on F-16's. :fear:

Datalink and RWR. Since an active radar will always be picked up by passive RWRs at ranges greater than which the radar can detect, a flight of F-16s or Gripens can pick up the radar emissions and triangulate them instantly via datalink.

Even the F-22's APG-77 would have to be used sparingly from now on, although being a 1500-2000 T/R array, LPI-standard AESA has its advantages.

sigzk5.jpg

Datalink and RWR. Since an active radar will always be picked up by passive RWRs at ranges greater than which the radar can detect, a flight of F-16s or Gripens can pick up the radar emissions and triangulate them instantly via datalink.

Even the F-22's APG-77 would have to be used sparingly from now on, although being a 1500-2000 T/R array, LPI-standard AESA has its advantages.

Anyway, once that EL/M-2052 AESA radar is installed on that Mig even the eurofighter would be in serious trouble. I guess even the raptor would have a hard time with engaging multiple 35’s. ;)

Anyway, once that EL/M-2052 AESA radar is installed on that Mig even the eurofighter would be in serious trouble. I guess even the raptor would have a hard time with engaging multiple 35’s. ;)

"Serious trouble"?

Wheres the missiles for that?

And the mig-35 is still a cry from getting those Raptors targeted at BVR.

My PC specs below: