RIO Workload, as real sac it gets?

Lt.Seahawk

I’ve read hours through these forums and I’m a huge fan of the F-14 overall and can’t wait for it to be released. I’ve also started reading through manuals and everything I can find on the net which is surprisingly quite a lot. As a former Tornado Crew Chief (now NATO E-3A CM) I’m aware of the workload Backseaters get and wondered how realistic the RIOs Workstation will be implemented and if it’ll get as close as it can get in the virtual world. The reason why I’m asking though is that I clearly see me in the backseat of this jet and I hope that we backseaters will be busy as possible (I don’t wanna sit there licking the canopy except when we are dogfighting lol).

Just curious if anyone has more information.

Edited by Lt.Seahawk

DCS F-14 Tomcat Alley Discord Server:

(I don’t wanna sit there licking the canopy except when we are dogfighting lol).

I'm shocked! No idling during dogfights for my RIO!!! You are expected to scan the skies at all times, especially the rear quarter!!! :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'm shocked! No idling during dogfights for my RIO!!! You are expected to scan the skies at all times, especially the rear quarter!!! :thumbup:

..and to remind me to "do some of that pilot $hit!", and other rousing gems of encouragement.

I do imagine the motivation for the RIO to keep his pilot on top of his game in a dogfight was quite high thou..:shocking:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hahaha I was kidding buddy ;). Of course you’re supposed to be aware of the tactical situation at all times! I remember Tornado Backseaters sleeping during transition flights because they had nothing else to do except for checking the WPs from time to time.

I’m really curious about how many ppl will actually only focus on the backseat and learn the RIOs systems he has to use in the rear cockpit. It seems like a good RIO is essential for a successful mission in DCS just like in the real world. This is just awesome! Imagine sitting in the backseat assisting the pilot with call outs during a carrier approach and looking over his shoulder.

Sooooo excited!

I think we can expect quiet a difference in what the RIO can do in regards of EW between the DCS F-14 and the real F-14 due to limited simulation of EW in DCS and classification which is useally pretty high for these kind of things as you probably better know than I do.

There might also be differences regarding radar analysis, but I'm not familiar enough with the capabilities of the F-14 RIO in this regard to say anything about that really.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah that’s what I was thinking yesterday when I wrote this as well. I’m oretty sure though that Heatblur is going to simulate the RIOs Office as far as they can. Classification might kill some stuff but there still should be enough to do for the Backseaters. I’d love to see a feature which makes it possible to upload different WP for different missions right into the jets NAV System. I can’t speak for the Cat but I know from the Tornado that the Weapon System Officers had some sort of stick with them with all the Waypoints loaded on it so that it was just a plug n play system to upload their Flightplan/WP right into the NAV Computer which is pretty neat.

Yes, unfortunately DCS doesn't support this as of now. In the DCS Viggen you have to insert the data cartridge at the beginning of the startup process, but it just loads the default mission data as specified by the mission maker. But unfortunately there is no way for the player to create their own waypoints or other system configurations prior to mission start.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, unfortunately DCS doesn't support this as of now. In the DCS Viggen you have to insert the data cartridge at the beginning of the startup process, but it just loads the default mission data as specified by the mission maker. But unfortunately there is no way for the player to create their own waypoints or other system configurations prior to mission start.

They have recently added support for predefined custom cartridges with waypoints.

It's just a bit tedious to edit since you have to edit a lua file with coordinates.

I already have a buddy to do RIO rotations with.

besides.. If paired with a very good dog-fighter, a RIO will make him better and it will make you better by learning.

However, My biggest concern as a VR addict. is that having a non-flying capacity will cause motion sickness. (as real RIO/WSO are probably more prone to that as well)

They have recently added support for predefined custom cartridges with waypoints.

It's just a bit tedious to edit since you have to edit a lua file with coordinates.

That’s pretty nice I haven’t heard about that! If they’d make that possible for the Cat aswell that would be pretty awesome. I’m pretty sure that you can hack in WPs by Coordinates but that would take a while, just like in the A-10C.

I'm sure the workload will be pretty authentic. Great to see guys excited to fly as RIOs. Hope we get a group at VF-2 when we get the Tomcat :D. Going to be a lot of fun to work as a crew.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

It might seem crazy, but I myself would rather only fly as RIO, don't know why, but I really love the action and excitement of it. from my past flights in back seats of l-39 in cold war server I can say for sure, that with 2 pairs of eyes it's almost impossible to lose visual on target.

Edited by Atooyi
  • Like 1

It might seem crazy, but I myself would rather only fly as RIO, don't know why, but I really love the action and excitement of it. from my past flights in back seats of l-39 in cold war server I can say for sure, that with 2 pairs of eyes it's almost impossible to lost visual on target.

Exactly the same here mate! I’d also rather fly as RIO, I just love all the action in the backseat. I think it’s also the fact that you have to rely on the pilots skills to work out a successful mission together.

I think it’s also the fact that you have to rely on the pilots skills to work out a successful mission together.

exactly, a good RIO and a good pilot working together would turn tomcat into one of the most dangerous killing machines!!!!

With operating the AWG-9 radar, keeping eyes peeled, reminding the pilot of checklists, and I assume helping with INS alignments and entering coordinates for A-G operations; I'm sure you'll have plenty to do.

Although I think just how busy you stay will depend on how well designed the particular mission is.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I think that the option of playing as a RIO might attract people who want the complexity and dynamic multiplayer simulation, but feel they don't have the time to become flight proficient. Mastering flight in a sim like DCS is intimidating to some players, most players. Present company excluded. However people are more likely to be willing to master a system, like the AWG-9, and contribute in a meaningful way. Once the merge is complete the game will look great, and sitting in the back of the Cat on the way back to the deck will be a good way to spend the weekend. Due to the complexity of DCS a dedicated RIO will be respected and sought after. A player spending time to flesh on the nuance of the aircraft will be rewarded by performing a function that the pilot can not perform.

Because of the uniqueness of play-style, bonds that will form, drama that will erupt, this will be in my opinion the best module in DCS.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

I think that the option of playing as a RIO might attract people who want the complexity and dynamic multiplayer simulation, but feel they don't have the time to become flight proficient. Mastering flight in a sim like DCS is intimidating to some players, most players. Present company excluded. However people are more likely to be willing to master a system, like the AWG-9, and contribute in a meaningful way. Once the merge is complete the game will look great, and sitting in the back of the Cat on the way back to the deck will be a good way to spend the weekend. Due to the complexity of DCS a dedicated RIO will be respected and sought after. A player spending time to flesh on the nuance of the aircraft will be rewarded by performing a function that the pilot can not perform.

Because of the uniqueness of play-style, bonds that will form, drama that will erupt, this will be in my opinion the best module in DCS.

I totally agree!

The real workload of any RIO comes in getting the cocky ego-driven nose gunner to do as he's told lol!

If they would have used E-6's as RIO's it would have been easy, lol

• Like 1

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

The real workload of any RIO comes in getting the cocky ego-driven nose gunner to do as he's told lol!

While you say this jokingly, it actually is more truer than it seems. Remember that RIOs spent over a year learning the basics of the job and at advanced schools like Topgun they learned to perfect their training to the point that that is a much truer statement.

In Bio Baranek's books he covers only a little bit of the training, but he did emphasis how much of it required memorizing complex mathematical tables related to converting scope data into headings and speed, alt, closing, and offset rates among many other tasks. He went on about getting his first down for not studying the offset tables enough or the math involved if I remember right.

Those are the kind of things I would like to learn more of, but there are so many parts about this stuff that is classified. Hopefully there are some people who might know a little about these things from a theoretical POV who can teach the rest of us about how to put this kind of info into use to guide the front seater to an advantageous firing position well before visual range. That would be really cool to learn.

Another thing I am curious about is all the different settings could be refined or fine tuned when trying to clear up background clutter, weather, and other problems like total numbers etc. that crop up in finding and or tracking contacts and such.

Maybe one of the more clever fellows out there will decided to create a RIO training syllabus or a club or school to figure things all out.

• Like 1

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While you say this jokingly, it actually is more truer than it seems. Remember that RIOs spent over a year learning the basics of the job and at advanced schools like Topgun they learned to perfect their training to the point that that is a much truer statement.

In Bio Baranek's books he covers only a little bit of the training, but he did emphasis how much of it required memorizing complex mathematical tables related to converting scope data into headings and speed, alt, closing, and offset rates among many other tasks. He went on about getting his first down for not studying the offset tables enough or the math involved if I remember right.

Those are the kind of things I would like to learn more of, but there are so many parts about this stuff that is classified. Hopefully there are some people who might know a little about these things from a theoretical POV who can teach the rest of us about how to put this kind of info into use to guide the front seater to an advantageous firing position well before visual range. That would be really cool to learn.

Another thing I am curious about is all the different settings could be refined or fine tuned when trying to clear up background clutter, weather, and other problems like total numbers etc. that crop up in finding and or tracking contacts and such.

Maybe one of the more clever fellows out there will decided to create a RIO training syllabus or a club or school to figure things all out.

Thats definitely something we should figure out when the Module gets released. There should be a RIO Lounge were more experienced guys can help newer Backseaters and where we all can share tactics, checklists and whatever is needed in the Backseat for a successful mission.

Thats definitely something we should figure out when the Module gets released. There should be a RIO Lounge were more experienced guys can help newer Backseaters and where we all can share tactics, checklists and whatever is needed in the Backseat for a successful mission.

Recently got the tactical Pocket Guide and check list.

I wonder how much of this will be incorporated into the sim for the RIO ... lots of work to do even before takeoff :book: :D

xeF7sMd.jpg

YJ5Mqqk.jpg

• Like 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron