DCS World Guide for All things VR

Jabbers_

Any recommendations on where to bind VR Zoom?

I have had it bound on my Warthog to pressing up on the trim hat + using the sticks pinky lever as a modifier, but now that I've begun doing ground pounding I've run in to an issue...I need to stay "zoomed in" in on the ground targets to maintain a good visual on them, which requires me to "hold the pressing" of the zoom button with my right thumb...sadly I also need that same right thumb to reach over to release my weapon on the ground target, so it's become a bit awkward.

I was thinking to maybe just bind it to the pinky button on the throttle instead (with the use of the stick pinky trigger as a modifier)?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I bound VR Zoom to my hat on the side of the throttle. Press and hold forward for VR Zoom.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I bound VR Zoom to my hat on the side of the throttle. Press and hold forward for VR Zoom.

The mic hat? The one where your thumb lies?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Iv mapped VR Zoom to two buttons.

- The red button on the left throttle.

- EAC toggle switch on the base, which I use for staying zoomed in.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The mic hat? The one where your thumb lies?

Yes.

Also have it mapped to one of the toggles on the Warthog throttle base, for fixed zoom. Rarely have a need for it though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Iv mapped VR Zoom to two buttons.

- The red button on the left throttle.

- EAC toggle switch on the base, which I use for staying zoomed in.

Thanks, the "red button on left throttle" was my initial thought too.

Yes.

Also have it mapped to one of the toggles on the Warthog throttle base, for fixed zoom. Rarely have a need for it though.

I would need to use the pinky paddle stick trigger as a modifier if I used the Mic hat forward for VR Zoom, since I have VoiceAttack/VAICOM, TS3, SRS, etc already all bound in all directions for my radios on the thumb hat...but in the end that might be easier for me than using the red pinky button on my throttle anyway.

Glad I asked, that's really a great idea you both had to bind it to one of the switches I never use for fixed zoom...

Going to give all of these options a shot next time I fly and see why I prefer in action. Thanks, fellas!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Going to give all of these options a shot next time I fly and see why I prefer in action. Thanks, fellas!

Most welcome, enjoy!!

Don B

I use the push in button on the mic switch as well, forward, up, aft for radios since we never have more than 3 in any plane. down for VR recenter and push in for VR zoom.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

• 1 month later...

Hi Jabbers,

I know you are not in tech support, but I have an ongoing VR issue I hope you can help with. Below is the text of a ticket I have raised which does not seem to be going anywhere.

The summary of the problem is that in Normandy 2.1/Spitfire the game is stable in VR only on the LOW preset. Increasing the preset to Medium or VR gives mixed results and on HIGH the sim crashes. All these crashes occur during the loading of the 2.1/Spitfire module.

It used to happen when I loaded the menu screen but that went away with reduction in Supersampling

I have never seen this happen with my other VR games. If I turn up detail too high I would normally get slow frame rates not a crash. Any thoughts please?:

Paul xxxxxx

24-11-2017 04:46:21

DCS crash Logs.zip (548.79 Kb)

Game problems with DCS World and installed modules

I run Repair option (for Steam: Verify Integrity of Game Cache), but it did not help

[not specified]

Module

Other or new

Game version

DCS World Open Alpha 2.1.x

Your version installed from:

DCS site

PC specs

i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz, 12.0 GB RAM, 64 bit windows 10 , GeForce GTX 1080, HTC Vive VR

Both DCS world 1.5 and 2.1.1 start and run ok in non-VR mode.

1.5 starts and runs in VR mode ok.

2.1.1 shows DCS splash screen then gives windows error message 'DCS has stopped working'

All drivers up to date.

2.1.1 has Normandy map and spitfire module.

Additional comment

Steam VR platform is up to date. No problems with any other VR games.

Paul Briggs

24-11-2017 08:29:48

Problem seems to be related partly to video settings and running out of memory. I got DCS 2 to load and run the spitfire module in VR by turning all the graphics down to an absolute minimum. However the PC ran out of memory after running the simulation for a few minutes, and the frame rate was poor - quite a bit of juddering.

Andrey Filin

24-11-2017 09:13:26

Hello,

all your crashes due to problem in DX11 and of course here:

\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin\dx11backend.dll

probably you have some problems in drivers or software.

please take an attention to this FAQ:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/556/

update VC++ redist packages and check other software on PC.

Please attach your Dxdiag report

If it works in DCS 1.5 then it should work in DCS 2.1

--

Best regards,

Andrey Filin

Eagle Dynamics IT Team

Paul Briggs

25-11-2017 23:04:40

DxDiag.txt (105.39 Kb)

DXDIAG report attached.

By reducing system load (stopping antivirus and backup engine, supersampling set down to 2.0 on Vive) I can get the main menu running in both 1.5 and 2 in VR mode.

I can run the P51 and the spitfire in 1.5 VR mode by using the VR preset for graphics.

I can run the P51 and spitfire in 2 in VR mode by using the LOW preset for graphics. Any other preset for 2.0 leads to a crash when loading a plane.

Andrey Filin

25-11-2017 23:30:03

Hello,

according to your dxdiag report I would say you need to update drivers for all sound devices.

I think it's not the major case, but it's my recommendation.

Also, I found very strange information about drivers for HTC Vive, but I don't know what exactly should be there. Sorry.

Could you please try to find more discussion here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

I think you will find an answer faster than in our support concerning your case with HTC Vive.

--

Best regards,

Andrey Filin

Eagle Dynamics IT Team

Paul Briggs

26-11-2017 04:27:39

I have created a login to the forum and will post the problem.

If they cannot help, can I apply for a refund please? The game is frustrating when it is unstable in VR mode, as I brought it from you because of it's VR feature.

Andrey Filin

26-11-2017 07:45:52

Hello,

Look on to YouTube and you will find that DCS 2 works with VR.

It's your local issue on PC, please discuss this on forums with other customers which already using VR.

About refund read here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/823/

--

Best regards,

Andrey Filin

Eagle Dynamics IT Team

Paul Briggs

30-11-2017 01:21:36

Manage to get DCS World 2 VR to work on Low settings. Went onto forums and other users said they can also get crashes with too high a detail level.

Sim is playable at low level, so I will continue to use it.

I do think your developers should look at why it crashes though, as any other VR game I have where I have the graphics too high does not crash the game, it just makes the frame rate go too low.

Valery KhomenOK

30-11-2017 07:41:45

Please attach here your config file:

Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\options.lua

Best regards

Valery "USSR_Rik" Khomenok

ED Lead Tester

Paul Briggs

30-11-2017 23:38:59

options.zip (1.18 Kb)

Options file is attached, running on VR preset. In-game pixel density set to 1.0, Steam VR supersampling (set within Steam VR options) set to 2.5

Under these settings I can run the spitfire at Normandy for about 15 minutes then I get a memory warning from Windows 10. Exiting leads to DCS stopping working.

Using the Low preset seems ok.

Using the High preset leads to an instant crash when trying to load the Spitfire in Normandy.

I managed to fix this problem, but I do not know exactly why it worked. I deselected 'allow asynchronous reprojection' in the Steam VR interface, and ran the game using the Medium system preset. The game ran, but with blurring and juddering (i.e. missed frames).

Turned the asynchronous reprojection back on (still in Medium) and the module ran without crashing. Even runs on High now.

It would seem that something was going wrong with how Steam VR was handling missed frames - which is what asynchronous reprojection (AS) fixes, but I do not know why toggling (AS) got it working properly.

Edited by Kiwispirits
spelling errors

Re mixed reality headsets..yes they do work, kind of!

Im trying the HP headset (do not recommend) which connects the SteamVR app to the Windows MR app. At the moment i am getting a lot of judder with moving scenery or head movement. I am suspecting too many conversions in the process but I am no programmer so recommendations invited from the experts.

I managed to fix this problem, but I do not know exactly why it worked. I deselected 'allow asynchronous reprojection' in the Steam VR interface, and ran the game using the Medium system preset. The game ran, but with blurring and juddering (i.e. missed frames).

Turned the asynchronous reprojection back on (still in Medium) and the module ran without crashing. Even runs on High now.

It would seem that something was going wrong with how Steam VR was handling missed frames - which is what asynchronous reprojection (AS) fixes, but I do not know why toggling (AS) got it working properly.

You get low fps due the 2.5 supersampling option in steam.. that's crazy. I use 1.5 with an overclocked 1080ti.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for those who use Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. When you use VR you have such problems as in my screenshots?

I use Dell mixed reality headset.

ecfba2e88fe8.png

5fcbfac88092.png

8ea43780a727.png

Не говорите что мне надо делать и я не скажу куда вам надо идти…

| Asus Z390 | Core i5 9600K | HyperX Fury 32Gb | RTX 2070 | 1TB HDD + Intel Optane memory 32Gb | Thrustmaster F-16C Viper Add-on Grip+TWCS Throttle | Dell WMR | Oculus Quest 2 |

Same here (Rift).

Been like that for a few months now I think.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I have a question for those who use Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. When you use VR you have such problems as in my screenshots?

I use Dell mixed reality headset.

ecfba2e88fe8.png

5fcbfac88092.png

8ea43780a727.png

Same here (Rift).

Been like that for a few months now I think.

Setting screen aspect ratio to 5:4 in the ‘system settings’ fixes this little issue I believe.

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Setting screen aspect ratio to 5:4 in the ‘system settings’ fixes this little issue I believe.

HMD setup doesnt use your Aspect Ratio or your Resolution in settings. They are completely ignored. This is just a bug, and I believe it is documented, but will double check.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

HMD setup doesnt use your Aspect Ratio or your Resolution in settings. They are completely ignored. This is just a bug, and I believe it is documented, but will double check.

Can we confirm if setting Aspect Ratio affects the Overlays?

Will verify tonight and report if needed.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If DisplayLink and Rift play nice (it is getting better), it would be nice to have Lilliputs working again. When I sneak a peak at the MFDs, it would be nice to have the monitors working. Obviously, if the resolution/size is completely ignored, there would be no way to do that. I realize I'm in the minority..I just like physical buttons and switches :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Granted. And it's cool to hear it's a bug that's on the radar for ED. None the less, Keshmen asked for help, and making this particular tweak in the settings does allow the overlay to display without truncation inside the HMD(Oculus Rift...I haven't a Vive to test with).

Can we confirm if setting Aspect Ratio affects the Overlays?

Will verify tonight and report if needed.

It certainly does in my case. I've just tested again by A > B verifying on my setup.

EDIT: Just did some more testing - 4:3, 3:2 & 16:10 also have the effect of allowing the overlays to display without problems. On my particular setup, it seems that only 16:9 causes the overlays to be cut off.

Just in the off chance that attached HW does play a part - for info, I'm running a 27" 1440p GSYNC monitor off a GTX 1080ti

Edited by Fubarbrickdust
more testing

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Granted. And it's cool to hear it's a bug that's on the radar for ED. None the less, Keshmen asked for help, and making this particular tweak in the settings does allow the overlay to display without truncation inside the HMD(Oculus Rift...I haven't a Vive to test with).

It certainly does in my case. I've just tested again by A > B verifying on my setup.

EDIT: Just did some more testing - 4:3, 3:2 & 16:10 also have the affect of allowing the overlays to display without problems. On my particular setup, it seems that only 16:9 causes the overlays to be cut off.

Just in the off chance that attached HW does play a part - for info, I'm running a 27" 1440p GSYNC monitor off a GTX 1080ti

Interesting, noted and will report, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jabbers,

Really helpful tips. Will you need to update this guide for 2.5?

I don't think so, seems to be the same for me, i didnt really need to change my settings at all.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Any tip to record (not broadcast) in full HD instead of 4K?

What kind of settings I should put in OBS and maybe in my nvidia control panel?

I have just ta GTX 970, and no 4K screen, therefore I cannot put a 4K resolution in nvidia control panel.

I have tried a few stuff but the record is blurry... as in low resolution. note that the resolution is not good in a VR headset that is normal, but according to your videos you manage to have a crisp 4K picture while still flying in VR... so is there a way to have a good quality full HD video with OBS and VR?

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.