DCS World Guide for All things VR

Jabbers_

Flarpt expresses my feelings exactly. After 2 years of trying to get DCS to be useable in VR I've given up. I still fly DCS because it is an exceptional  sim but I will not buy any other airframe from them, at least not until they pull their head out of their ass and see they need to move forward. VR is the future and as the price of the HMD's come down more and more people will move to it. ED will shortly find themselves so far behind the curve they won't be able to catch up and somebody else will step in and take the crown...along with the revenue and ED will just be another foot note in a long line of flight sims.

By the way. Those of you that think you are having a good experience with their VR I can only say that you have very low expectations. I will not lower myself to a "good enough" mind set. 

Edited by RackMonkey
  • Like 2

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

24 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

Flarpt expresses my feelings exactly. After 2 years of trying to get DCS to be useable in VR I've given up. I still fly DCS because it is an exceptional  sim but I will not buy any other airframe from them, at least not until they pull their head out of their ass and see they need to move forward. VR is the future and as the price of the HMD's come down more and more people will move to it. ED will shortly find themselves so far behind the curve they won't be able to catch up and somebody else will step in and take the crown...along with the revenue and ED will just be another foot note in a long line of flight sims.

By the way. Those of you that think you are having a good experience with their VR I can only say that you have very low expectations. I will not lower myself to a "good enough" mind set. 

Low expectations- yes. Considering how new and how hard it is to get right from the programmers point of view. Even new games that are created within the timeframe VR has become popular have these same issues. Never mind the fact that DCS is quite old at its core and the VR implementation was never a part of the code until a few years ago. 

maybe your expectations of 4k VR at 120FPS are what is really not realistic at this time. On any simulator. Hardware is only starting to catch up. 

I have  a 3080Ti and played some campaign recently.

There are some strange bugs that saturated my GPU,  but I fixed them with my mod. Same for fps loss due to shadow at dawn.

My real concern is latency created by CPU (fpsVR source), it should only be fixed by improving parallelism...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 2:40 AM, Eugel said:

Interesting. Last time I checked, VR performance in MSFS2020 was much worse than in DCS for me.
I guess, I´ll have to give it another go...

XPlane 11 might be a better test for several reasons. (I'll give it a whirl if I can get my stinkin internet working)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Anyone have any thoughts on DCS game setting - Monitors to stereo. I have been flying VR for a couple of years and never realized this was there. I guess this should be good for VR but not heard many other people mention it. I have noticed that in non-vr mode each flight now launches in dual screen as if in a VR mirror.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Steel Jaw said:

I myself accept some stuttering to get clear a clear cockpit.  I REFUSE to have a fuzzy cockpit.

Hey I was wondering if you are using OpenXR If so what rez do you run at.. Was trying to determine the least amount of FPS I can accept which is about 38-45fps..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Vous n avez pas de problemes avec steamvr ??
parceque moi steamvr me pose toujour le meme probleme (il plante)
et je ne peut plus jouer en vr depuis plusieurs jours.
Et appparement je suis pas le seul a avoir des problemes avec Steamvr

You are on an English forum. Just sayin...

:renske:

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

vor einer Stunde schrieb PLUTON:

Vous n avez pas de problemes avec steamvr ??
parceque moi steamvr me pose toujour le meme probleme (il plante)
et je ne peut plus jouer en vr depuis plusieurs jours.
Et appparement je suis pas le seul a avoir des problemes avec Steamvr

Let me answer as Michael Jackson would sing: "You are not alone…" 😜

Excuse me sir "burned out" I just did not copy paste the good side of google translate

(You have no problem with steamvr??
Because steamvr always gives me the same problem (it crashes)
and that I have not been able to play in vr for several days.
And apparently I'm not the only one having problems with Steamvr).

AF said:

Let me answer like Michael Jackson would sing: "You are not alone..."

Exactly! so how does everyone who has the problem with Steamvr do? Is there a repair solution?
I wonder what to learn😉

On 3/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Steel Jaw said:

I myself accept some stuttering to get clear a clear cockpit.  I REFUSE to have a fuzzy cockpit.

well then what resolution and FPS do you use get? thank you for the answer.. 😉

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

2 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Why would anyone use steam vr?

Perhaps because that was what their headset was developed to work with?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 hours ago, PLUTON said:

Excuse me sir "burned out" I just did not copy paste the good side of google translate

(You have no problem with steamvr??
Because steamvr always gives me the same problem (it crashes)
and that I have not been able to play in vr for several days.
And apparently I'm not the only one having problems with Steamvr).

AF said:

Let me answer like Michael Jackson would sing: "You are not alone..."

Exactly! so how does everyone who has the problem with Steamvr do? Is there a repair solution?
I wonder what to learn😉

Well if that is me you are asking if I have no problem with Steam VR - then the answer is correct - I currently have no problem at all with Steam VR.

• Like 1

Don B

• 1 month later...

I come back to you to tell you that steam vr
was crashing, but it was not from steamvr but from wmr which since the update was causing steam vr to crash;
So I went back with wmr and no more Steam crashes vr everything works fine.👍:pilotfly:

Have a nice flight everyone

• 2 weeks later...

how Do I turn on the VR adjustment UI tool, in DCS.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

On 4/9/2022 at 7:39 PM, dburne said:

Well if that is me you are asking if I have no problem with Steam VR - then the answer is correct - I currently have no problem at all with Steam VR.

Same here absolutely none. I just don’t find the need to go OXR yet, I mean I may eventually try it sooner or later just because I’m hearing a lot of good stuff about it. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

45 minutes ago, Burt said:

Same here absolutely none. I just don’t find the need to go OXR yet, I mean I may eventually try it sooner or later just because I’m hearing a lot of good stuff about it. 

Just tried it out again yesterday. This time at least with my Aero it did make a substantial difference in my performance.

Don B

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Just tried it out again yesterday. This time at least with my Aero it did make a substantial difference in my performance.

Hhhmm really. My inches are turning into centimeters. Is it easy to switch back if anything goes wrong? I’m trouble with chances. But your words are good enough in my book. Thanks for sharing that.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Hhhmm really. My inches are turning into centimeters. Is it easy to switch back if anything goes wrong? I’m trouble with chances. But your words are good enough in my book. Thanks for sharing that.

Yeah I think so. Just delete the three files that you put in the DCS Bin folder and then do a Repair of DCS. Should be good to go. That is what I did I think when I initially tried it a few weeks ago as I was not overly impressed. This time though yeah I am impressed.

I have never been one for Mods and before this never had any Mods. I guess now I can no longer say that, but this will likely be the only Mod I will ever have. Spent the last two days just testing with the same mission over and over tweaking and adjusting. Kind of fun but now I am ready to settle in with what I have and do some serious flying.

I will say hard to believe all the work and support the guy that developed the Open XR Toolkit has put into it on his own free time. 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Eugel said:

Well, it works fine for me, so why not ? 

:thumbup:

Same here , I am back to using Steam VR myself. Works fine for me and I kind of like the simplicity that comes with it. So I am back to no mods once again. Previously with the mod I found myself spending way too much time tweaking and testing than just enjoying the game.

Edited by dburne

Don B

21 hours ago, Eugel said:

Well, it works fine for me, so why not ? 

Same here . Very happy with my performance and motion smoothing , which i understand is not available in OpenXR .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2