3DOF in the Mirage?

animaal

3DOF in the Mirage?

Hi,

I'm quite new to DCS, just starting to get comfortable with takeoff/flight/landing the A-10c and F-5. The Mirage looks very interesting, in capability perhaps a little like a more modern F-5.

However, while I have head tracking, it's 3 degrees of freedom rather than the full 6. Is this likely to cause big difficulties with the Mirage? I've seen a few YouTube videos, and the Mirage seems to have a big "sticky-outy-bit" on the dashboard that blocks the RWR and a number of other controls unless the pilot can move his head to the side and down.

Thanks!

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Should work with 6DoF. What Head-Tracker do you use? Does it work 6DoF in other modules?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi,

I'm quite new to DCS, just starting to get comfortable with takeoff/flight/landing the A-10c and F-5. The Mirage looks very interesting, in capability perhaps a little like a more modern F-5.

However, while I have head tracking, it's 3 degrees of freedom rather than the full 6. Is this likely to cause big difficulties with the Mirage? I've seen a few YouTube videos, and the Mirage seems to have a big "sticky-outy-bit" on the dashboard that blocks the RWR and a number of other controls unless the pilot can move his head to the side and down.

Thanks!

The "sticky-out-bit" just below the HUD only partially block the view to the G-meter and the AoA gauge, as the AoA and G information is also displayed on the HUD, this is not a problem.

And the mirage is a little more than a more modern F-5 ;) :

- FBW controls

- Advanced avionics

- INS

- Modern radar

- Medium range missiles

Edited by myHelljumper
  • Like 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

The head tracker I use is the EdTracker. It is great to pan, but it doesn't have positional sensors.

And the mirage is a little more than a more modern F-5

I wouldn't doubt you... by "a more modern F-5", I was comparing its role to the two planes I already have; the A-10c is really only a ground attacker, whereas the F-5 is mostly an A-A plane, with some ground attack capabilities. From a quick look, it seemed like the Mirage is stronger in A-A than A-G...?

I think I'll buy it. I know I'll regret it if I don't :)

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Well, I just got back into the Mirage a bit. I use 6DOF. I have bound snap keys however for when I start it up, INS panel and Radio area. Slew and zoom so you have it just the way you like it, save and use that for the intricate stuff. For all other things 3DOF with a zoom combo/axis should suffice.

/Edit,

Yes, buy it. And then save for a 6DOF tracker.. ;-)

Hi, just in case anybody else has the same concern in the future and discovers this thread...

I've spent the last day starting to get to grips with this plane and it's great with 3DOF. The protrusion from the front of the console blocks nothing - or at least nothing that I wanted to look at. In those Youtube videos showing the RWR blocked, it must have been due to the player having his head offset laterally while zoomed in.

Thanks for the information in the posts above.

Hi, just in case anybody else has the same concern in the future and discovers this thread...

I've spent the last day starting to get to grips with this plane and it's great with 3DOF. The protrusion from the front of the console blocks nothing - or at least nothing that I wanted to look at. In those Youtube videos showing the RWR blocked, it must have been due to the player having his head offset laterally while zoomed in.

Thanks for the information in the posts above.

I have the same tracker, and using it incombination with the software OpenTrack you can "simulate" up to 5 DoF (just Google this and you will get a Video from one of the EDTracker developers explaining it). That's what I do in The Mirage and I can easily see all instruments at a very good zoom level and with minimal head movement

High jinks!