Help with takeoff please

stratman59

• ED Team
with no assistance and mid fuel load

1) spit well aligned on runway, tail wheel aligned

2) pitch trim on neutral ( midle needle )

3) begin with stick forward and stick on right ( to conteract torque )

4) slowly give her some throttle to give some rudder authority from proppeller

5) the more speed you grab only think " I wanna her on 2 points, well aligned" ( using rudder for the rudder : use small but quick input to correct nose deviation, come back to center each time quickly.)

6) the more speed you get, put back your stick on midle ( from right to midle but keep it forward to force her on 2 point)

7) once on 2 point attitude and well aligned, you can progressively gentle continius throotle up more power until take off speed.

for the rudder : use small but quick input to correct nose deviation, come back to center each time quickly.

There are at least TWO mistakes: Stick on right - absolutely ineffective at the first stage of run because of low speed and absolutely unnecessary at takeoff speed - just 1/5 of full travel is more than sufficient.

Without crosswind, of course. As you have X-wind you need to hold the plane level using any lateral input you need for it.

SLOWLY GIVE SOME THROTTLE - no, it works good for P-51 as you have full steering authority due to steerable tail wheel. Spit, as well as the 109, needs quit aggressive throttle increasing (for 1-2-3 count) to get sufficient rudder steering power.

The third mistake is your pitch input. It's not necessary at all. Just put the stick in neutral (or a bit forward) and a bit right. THen you need not to move it, just slightly correct plane attitude to get right tail down two-points attitude.

• Like 1

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

There are at least TWO mistakes: Stick on right - absolutely ineffective at the first stage of run because of low speed and absolutely unnecessary at takeoff speed - just 1/5 of full travel is more than sufficient.

Without crosswind, of course. As you have X-wind you need to hold the plane level using any lateral input you need for it.

SLOWLY GIVE SOME THROTTLE - no, it works good for P-51 as you have full steering authority due to steerable tail wheel. Spit, as well as the 109, needs quit aggressive throttle increasing (for 1-2-3 count) to get sufficient rudder steering power.

The third mistake is your pitch input. It's not necessary at all. Just put the stick in neutral (or a bit forward) and a bit right. THen you need not to move it, just slightly correct plane attitude to get right tail down two-points attitude.

I guess that in Spitfire models with just one Radiator ( on the right wing ) less rudder would be required during the final stages of takeoff and inflight, due to the asymmetric drag compensating for the left yawing / banking tendencies, assuming a CW rotating prop ?

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team
I guess that in Spitfire models with just one Radiator ( on the right wing ) less rudder would be required during the final stages of takeoff and inflight, due to the asymmetric drag compensating for the left yawing / banking tendencies, assuming a CW rotating prop ?

No, I do not think that this small difference in areas can produce asymmetric drag sufficient to noticably change the rudder input. Anyway, you always can take a look a the fig 10 in the NACA report for MkV. At least 1/2 of full rudder travel is required for 100-120 mph lift-off speed.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I can take off in the Spitfire in IL-2 BOS in full sim mode relatively easily after just a few hours practice?

BoS has no full sim mode.

I would never call it an arcade game, and it has some strong sim elements (notably the general flight model), but BoS is a game first, and all simulation is subject to the primary role. It was never meant to be a training tool, unlike DCS: A-10C (and, by extension, I would say, the other high-fidelity DCS modules).

Which, of course, doesn't mean that DCS is correct and BoS is incorrect, in any given area, but you definitely should not assume that DCS has it wrong merely because it was portrayed differently in BoS or other "semi-sim" games.

Edited by Echo38

No, I do not think that this small difference in areas can produce asymmetric drag sufficient to noticably change the rudder input. Anyway, you always can take a look a the fig 10 in the NACA report for MkV. At least 1/2 of full rudder travel is required for 100-120 mph lift-off speed.

Thx Yo-Yo!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• 2 years later...
I DON'T HAVE RUDDER, SO I CAN'T FLY THIS PLANE. THE EASY CONTROL AIN'T WORKING EITHER...

YOU ARE PLAYING A FLIGHT SIM, BUY RUDDER PEDALS OR A TWIST JOYSTICK.

I mean, seriously, what are you expecting at this point if you don't have any ability to use an axis? It's basically essential for the warbirds.

You can fly it using the keyboard for rudder though if you really want, I did for a little while, just bind it to z and x to make your life easier. It won't be graceful though and quite frankly it is a pain in the backside, but it is possible.

Don't understand buying a flight simulator, investing in high fidelity models, and then using some cheap, ten dollar joystick that doesn't have any rudder control. And then wondering why you can't control the airplane correctly. It's not an arcade game. And it's not IL-2, where you can fly a 2000 HP taildragger and get it off of the ground the first time you try. Another guy is complaining that he's been trying for a WHOLE 2 hours and still can't take of in the Spitfire. USAAF flight training during WW2 took nine months.

Don't understand buying a flight simulator, investing in high fidelity models, and then using some cheap, ten dollar joystick that doesn't have any rudder control. And then wondering why you can't control the airplane correctly. It's not an arcade game. And it's not IL-2, where you can fly a 2000 HP taildragger and get it off of the ground the first time you try. Another guy is complaining that he's been trying for a WHOLE 2 hours and still can't take of in the Spitfire. USAAF flight training during WW2 took nine months.

i second this, there is a reason raf pilots where good pilots, cause those that were not crashed.

most were low hour pilots when they hopped into the spitfire and they had the benifit of real rudder pedals :P

get some rudder pedals and enjoy the challenge.

• ED Team
I DON'T HAVE RUDDER, SO I CAN'T FLY THIS PLANE. THE EASY CONTROL AIN'T WORKING EITHER...

I know that it can sound a bit optimistic... as you have not bought the pedals yet (it is very recommended to get more realistic plane filling) you can try to use buttons or even keyboard for it. Imagine that you use PFM (pulse frequency modulation) and tap the keys with short strikes more or less fast.

And the second hint is to get 3000 rpm and +8 lb in 1-2-3 count, without long hesitation. The plane will be better controllable.

You can even land it without rudder pedals.